spines

not sure if this is the place to raise this q, but especially after especially long or hard training sessions, my lower spine starts aching, making it impossible to arch my back even enough to lie down. i’ve thought this might be related to doing heavy squats with inadequate core strength, and maybe have some relation to my hip flexor problems, but it sometimes occurs even after rest days. it is slightly alleviated with stretching, but it really feels like my SPINE, not typical muscle pain. i had scoliosis halted with a brace a few years ago, is this irregularity exacerbated by sprint training and lifting?

Could you describe the workouts that you do you to help us?

I also think that it is your pelvic position…

sure…
lately i have been doing a lot more distance running and tempos to prepare for field hockey season. typically i will do light speed, such as 4x100 or 3x150 flat around 75-80%, then hurdle drills, 3x5 hurdles 5-step and 3x3 hurdles 3-step. then FH tempo, for example 2x5 on 5 off 3x 2.5 on 2.5 off, 75-80%. after that- full-body lift including squats and cleans, also small amount of back and core work. if i’m feeling good, i’ll take a jog in the evening to loosen up, around 30 min, but usually this is overkill. on alternate days i do endurance work, 60-75 min continuous running, sometimes including hills and intervals of increased speed (avrg speed probably 8:30-10 min miles) i always remember to stretch, and take rest/light days as needed, usually once a week or less.

what about the pelvic position? anything to be done about it?

I am no Field Hockey guru, but the intermediate runs at 150m are a waste of time. I would spend time on short speed and maintain extensive tempo.

As for your pelvis, if you do a large core volume and receive ART, or general massage you could be help that get to normal and maintain the results with rolling and stretching.

I think it may be best to see a professional over this problem, particularly with your sclerosis history.

However, I do sometimes experience mild lower back pain during training, usually after a lay-off period. In my case, this is due to a weak core, once I strengthen my abs/back, the problem disappears.

On the otherhand, you could just be working your back to hard e.g excessive good mornings/ reverse hypers etc. Even poorly executed situps/ crunches will stress the lower back.

Justy,

I agree, perhaps she see a chiro/art guy…maybe Dr.Glenn. My guess is that her coach will not be skilled enough to help her, since most HS coaches can range from fantastic to poor.

FH players are constantly battling with low back pain, IT band syndrome, and hip flexor and adductor strains (constant battle between flexors and extensors in and around the hips and pelvis). It is the nature of the sport, particularly for those playing constantly on astroturf. Field conditions also play a role (turf is too dry and not watered down enough).

Also, because the sticks are so short (relative to ice hockey sticks) and you can only play one side of the stick, the posture and movements of the game lend themselves to overuse problems around the pelvis. The speed of the game has picked up considerably in the last 10 years due to the prevalence of astroturf fields and composite sticks. Thus, the stress on the players has also increased.

So, it is not atypical for a FH player to have the symptoms listed above. In fact, it is part of the sport. Having said that, I would say the first thing to consider is overall workload (including all conditioning work and FH on-field work - skills, drills and playing). Having worked with the Canadian national teams for the past 4 years, I have found that there is a fine balance between being healthy and being chronically injured. In addition to stretching, massage and other regenerative activities, I would suggest playing with the volumes of different components. Perhaps spend more time in the weightroom for the initial stages of your program, supplemented by lots of flexibility work. Lower your volumes of long aerobic runs (as FH has become much more anaerobic oriented with the faster turf and multiple substitutions), and perhaps modify your FH specific work.

Given the demands of your sport, there is no “one” answer to your problem. You may have to modify and improve upon several components.

great post…Number 2 took a lot of time to post that information, again, it is of high quality.

thanks number2, i didn’t realize that about FH. i’m looking into ART therapy and massage, hopefully this will help my back and my hip flexors.

Great Number2.

I was looking at getting back into Field Hockey if I got through track season. The problems you state are exactly what I have seen.

I would try doing deadlifts instead of squats…