Speed for rugby

I’m a 15 year old rugby player
in August i have a tour to South America and by then i need to make improvements to my game.
My speed and strength are the most serious issues and some more size would come in useful at times.
My skills are good (in my opinion) and i have good acceleration, but i lack the strength in defence and the top speed to get to the line.

I have searched the site but i have not found exactly what i am looking for…
I am looking to increase my top speed and overall body strength in a way relevant for rugby, being able to sprint repetitively is important, not just top speed for one short sharp sprint such as the 100m
I also want to gain weight healthily, but not so much that it will affect my agility and quickness

Could anyone give me ideas as to how i could go about this… maybe suggestions at a year plan as i also want my work to have an effect on next years season.
Without the use of free weights if possible as im not old enough to use them at my gym.

My measurement are:
Height - 5’11’’ (178cm)
Weight - 10 stone 2 pounds (65kg)
Time for 100m - around 15seconds (haven’t been timed in a while)

Thanks in advance for your advice…

what position do you play?

Where are you from?

im from manchester england

i can play anywhere in the backs though mainly at inside centre

have played wing in the past but im not fast enough anymore

well it is common to lose a bit of speed as you age :stuck_out_tongue:

What has your coach suggested?

Is the team going a rep or club team?

What have you done in the past to improve speed & strength?

my coach has suggested doing lots of strength training… in the process putting on weight through muscle growth
i play for my school and at club level
its only recently that i have noticed my speed becoming a problem and i am need advice about how i can get faster (both my maximum speed and my acceleration)

for strength i have been doing weight training on machines at the gym (im too young for the free weights section) and i have been eating much more protein and calories in general to try and encourage growth
over the last few weeks i have noticed slow but steady weight gain

i have also noticed benefits from my strength training though they are slow coming

in addition to strength training… for fitness i do running, rowing, cycling (spinning) and some swimming as well as fitness sessions in school

Hi, if your doing a lot of cardio work it will keep your weight down, but steady gains are the way to go. You will need to work on very short acceleration work 10-15 metres, but also some speed over 10-15 metres from a running start. Keep the volume low - under 300m total per session, two sessions per week. You could do more volume per session but that will work your endurance capacity the more volume you add and help your speed less. If you were a flanker (as my son is) you would do more endurance than a centre, but you will still need some, but its not gained by lots of jogging/swimming. I don’t know you so can’t give you specific ammounts its a case of trying it and seeing how you feel and how much you improve. Remember though, its best to do less than too much. If you need more help by all means send me a message. Good luck.