Intensity - plyos 100%, 150’s 80-95-80

9PM Complex Session

1x3 Parallel Squat 260
1x25 Single Leg Step Jumps
1x3 Parallel Squat 260
1x30 Double Leg Step Jumps

Rest - 5m
Intensity - 80%

Notes - everything went well, wanted to get one more 150 in but it was downpouring so I got out of the rain. Power Clean sucked as usual everything else was right around what I expected, will probably do some running and plyos tomorrow then take til the meet off on Tuesday.

Saturday Week 2 -

1PM Complex Session

Weighted Vertical Jump 1x3 70lb
Vertical Jump 3x2 All 30-31"

Weighted Broad Jump 1x3 70lb
Broad Jump 6x1

9’4, 8’11, 9’6 Stopped because it was too slippery out
When resumed 9’9, 9’11, 10’3

Explosive Squat 1x3 70lb
Depth Jump 3x2

Rest - 1min
Intensity - 100%

Notes - was pouring out during the vertical jump so didnt measure individual jump, waited about 20 minutes after I stopped teh broad jump to restart when it got dryer out. Pretty good session, a little disappointed in the vert but happy with the broad jump so average overall.

5PM Track Workout

2x30m Accel
2x30m Blocks

6m/8m

3x60m

15m/5m

2x40f40e40f

5m

Notes - track work went well, a little tight at the beginning, but after that I felt fast up to the last 40 of the the last 120 so that was good. Head started to hurt again at the end of the last 120 but thats alright. Shins arent a painful sore anymore just more of a fatigued sore but that should go away with the rest the next two days. May do some explosive lifting Monday but thats about it til the meet Tuesday and the lift is a maybe depending how I feel. Right now I’m expecting some pretty good results Tuesday but we’ll see how the weather is and what not.

Wednesday Week 3 -

1PM Weightroom Session

Bench Press - 280
Parallel Squat 3x1 - 285, 315, 335
1/4 Squat 3x2 - 405, 455, 515
Power Clean - 205, 205, 210, 210, 215, 225

Reps - 6x1
Rest - 3min
Intensity - 100%

Notes - my legs are still pretty sore from the meet so I decided to take the day off from the track and plyos, probably will only get one day on the track before the next meet Sunday at Keystone Games. The weight session was good, probably the best one I have had in a long while at least in terms of form and didn’t really struggle with 225 in clean so I was happy with that as well.

Thursday Week 3 -

7PM Weightroom Session

Shrug
Close Bench
Lat Pull
Dumbell Rows
Side Raise
Heel Raise
Lunges
Leg Curls
Decline Situps 2x25
V-Situps 2x25

Reps - 1x10
Intensity - 80%
Rest 1min

Notes - terribly fatigued today, I guess the summer meets are finally catchin up to me, only one left on Sunday then time to prepare for the 55m.

Friday Week 3 -

1PM Track Session

2x20m A’s
2x20m B’s
2x20m Ankling

1min

3x30m Accel

5m/8m

250m
200m
150m

5m @ 90%

Notes - everything went good at the track the short recovery for the long sprints definately tuckered me out especially since I rarely go over 120m for a practice sprint.

Lifted stones for about 3 1/2 hrs so decided not to lift, might do some explosive lifts or abs later but doubtful.

** Put in 11PM**

Bench - 205
Squat - 205

Reps - 3x4
Rest - 3min
Intensity - 100%

Monday & Tuesday Week 4

Nothing at all organized so far this week. Had to keep moving stones for about 3 hours each day making the damn wall. I guess that might be good back work who knows.

Also did about 500 reps of situps each night give or take I really didnt keep track overall. Also I did probably about 150-200 pushups each day, and some body weight leg workout stuff today as well, its my off week so nothing too demanding, I’ll probably get in the gym and on the track tomorrow for some light work, we’ll see how it goes.

Wednesday Week 4

1PM Weightroom Session

Bench - 245
Squat - 265
Power Clean - 196

Reps - 3x3
Intensity - 85%
Rest - 3min

Notes - just got some light lifting in, was going to run but it was way too hot out and my shins were still a little sore and since its rest week I decided to ya know rest. Might run tomorrow and will probably do some abs here in a little bit.

Holy hell 150-200 press ups per day. Christ lol. I haven’t read all your journal but in most posts you seem to be moving stones a lot. What exactly are you doing :stuck_out_tongue: ?

Haha I’m building a stone wall, stone walls are the key to success in the track world if you did not already know that I will let you in on that little secret.

Thursday Week 4

1PM Weightroom Session

Single Arm Dumbell Press
Incline Flies
Lat Pulldown
Back Pulldown
Machine Rows
Front Squat
Leg Press
Calve Raise 3x10
Leg Raise 2x20

Reps - 1x10
Rest - 1min
Intensity - 80%

Notes - did about 300 or so ab reps last night mostly sit ups. Also did about another 300 today, may do a few more if I get bored. All and all went well, just the usual day at the gym.

6PM Track Session

3x30m Accel

Rest - 4min
Intensity - 90%

Notes - meant to go to the track however there were like 50 10yr old girls there I dont know what it was soccer or something I guess, so I just did some light work in my yard.

Friday & Saturday Week 4

Went back up to NY friday to get the rest of my apartment sent up so didnt have anytime to workout and watnot.

Got back tonight, did some abs and pushups at like 11pm. Probably about 300 reps of abs and 150 of pushups, again real easy crap just didnt want to feel worthless so got this stuff in, probably abs again tomorrow.

This next month cycle I have a feeling is going to be absolute crap, my girlfriend is coming in for a week so that probably wont go over well for lifting, then the next week I move up to NY for good, also not good in terms of workout, also have orientation for the next week followed by classes the week after. I am not going to set up anything for this month, probably just go day to day and get as much in as I can.

After that I am even more afraid to see what will happen this is the first time I will have to do someone elses workout in like about 3 years and its only for one indoor season, I have a feeling its not going to go over well from the optional offseason workout that we got. However I do believe they follow some type of short to long program atleast.

However I am going to be pissed after all the progress I have made and how I actually know what I need that I am going to have to follow someone elses workout which I am almost positive will not mesh with what I believe, however I wont let it get me down, and I will give it hell however it works out.

Cycle 3 Week 1 Monday -

1PM Track Workout

Ankling 2x20m
Single Leg Cycles 2x20m (each leg)
Leg Cycles 2x20m
A Skip’s 2x20m
B Skip’s 2x20m

1.5m/2m

2x40m Accel
2x40m Blocks

7m

3x60m

10m

8PM Weightroom Session

Bench - 115
Squat - 85
Power Clean - 85

Reps - 3x10
Intensity - 100%
Rest - 3min

Notes - everything went fine, wanted to get in one more 60m but the track was invaded by about 50 10yr olds so I had to stop a little early. Really tryin to get more work done on the track and less in the weightroom.

Week 1 Tuesday & Wednesday

Tuesday

1PM Weightroom Session

Single Arm Dumbell Press
Incline Flies
Machine Rows
Backpulldown
Good Mornings
Hamstring Curls
Leg Press

Reps - 2x8
Intensity - 80%
Rest - 1min

Wednesday

3PM Weightroom Session

Bench - 265, 275, 285
Squat ATG - 225, 275
Slightly Above Parallel - 315, 315
1/4 - 475, 545
Power Clean - 185, 205, 225 xOx

Reps - 3x3 Bench, Clean, 6x3 Squat
Intensity - 100%
Rest - 3min

Notes - was out all night tuesday down in pittsbrugh, didnt get back til the morning, slept til 230, really drained although the numbers really didnt show it was a rough day in the gym. Tried to do some plyos later did 2x5 1 step approach box jump and a couple broad jumps but then stopped. I’ll go to the track and do the plyos tomorrow, wasnt worth it today.

Week 1 Thursday

Noon Plyowork

Just did a bunch of random shyt, some verts, shock jumps, depth, 2 leg hops, med ball throws, all around 2x5 give or take.

4PM Track

Ankling
A’s
B’s
High Knees

2x20m
1m/1.5m

300m
150m
75m

Rest - 5m
Intensity - 90%

Couple questions I am pondering so for anyone who reads this input would be great however little it is.

At my current lifting levels would it not be more beneficial for me to flip my training and focus almost exclusively on more plyo type work as it seems my strength levels would be suffice for someone running sub 11, let alone the current 11.29, obviously strength helps, but I think my time would be better spent elsewhere now?

Also could 1/4 squat and leg press or full squat and leg press have a more beneficial effect towards explosive development, I have gotten away from leg press as I have heard it is more benefical but since I have done this my squat and other indicating numbers vert and short sprint numbers have been pretty staginate.

And last but not least somewhat pointing towards the first question why do vert programs usually focus on high reps and limited or just body weight ie. 100 body weight squats or 50 body weight lunges and why does this work, I mean I have gotten a solid 6in or maybe a lil more on my vert following those compared to almost nothing during regular weight training?

Basically has my strength had a plataeuing effect on my sprints, should my time focus on more specific stuff ie bounding, leg cycles, depth jump, high knees and so on. Obviously I do both and would at least stay in maintenance for my strength qualities, but I think more plyo type work would give me larger improvements, comments?

Week 1 Friday

Noon Weightroom

Bench - 275, 285, 295
Squat Below Parallel - 225, 275, 295
Power Clean - 185, 205, 225 XO
1/4 Leg Press 3x5 - 400, 600, 690

Reps - 3x2
Intenisty - 100%
Rest - 3min

Notes - things went well today, felt pretty fresh, very explosive, the clean sucked as usual but 205 went up nicely.

4PM Track

Ankling
Double Leg Cycles
High Knees

Reps - 2x20m
Intensity - 90%
Rest - 1m/1.5m

3x20
3x30
3x40

Reps - Accel next Standing next Blocks
Rest - 3m, 4m, 5m, 4m, 5m, 6m, 5m, 6m
Intensity - 100%

Notes - Good, nothing out of the ordinary.

I think it is a mistake to leave maximum strength work. If you are training for the 55m, I would try to peak strength damn close to your championship (maybe squat max 11 days out and clean max 4 days out).

That being said you could change focus away from max strength for brief periods (probably no more than 8-12 weeks) work but make sure you’re still doing at least some stuff at around 90% of max to maintain.

In a world where your thearpy means suck and your coaching is mediocre, I think strength work has more relative value because jumps & speed work always suffer if you are not in the optimal physical state (muscle tone, mobility, etc).

Also could 1/4 squat and leg press or full squat and leg press have a more beneficial effect towards explosive development, I have gotten away from leg press as I have heard it is more benefical but since I have done this my squat and other indicating numbers vert and short sprint numbers have been pretty staginate.

I don’t like leg press but some people do. Ricky Crain who was the best 165lb lifter in the world for awhile used to always do leg press as an assistance exercise. Of course he was a lifter, not a sprinter. And you know that Charles Foster at Clemson has his magic plyo leg press which involves very light weight and explosive reps and he has a 10.00 guy that no one ever mentions…

And last but not least somewhat pointing towards the first question why do vert programs usually focus on high reps and limited or just body weight ie. 100 body weight squats or 50 body weight lunges and why does this work, I mean I have gotten a solid 6in or maybe a lil more on my vert following those compared to almost nothing during regular weight training?

I think the benefit here is due to general strength/mobility benefits which are often ignored. Most high level athletes have a killer warmup/drill routine. These volume jump workouts could be seen as a shitty type of warmup/drill/mobility routine.

Basically has my strength had a plataeuing effect on my sprints, should my time focus on more specific stuff ie bounding, leg cycles, depth jump, high knees and so on. Obviously I do both and would at least stay in maintenance for my strength qualities, but I think more plyo type work would give me larger improvements, comments?

I would disagree here but you could try it for a month or two.
I think your deep squats are a good change. Also regarding your cleans, I would do them before bench & squat…they will suck less then. I have mentioned this before.
You also once mentioned that your squat max hasn’t improved in awhile. I will agree that more strength work won’t help if it doesn’t increase your max strength (max squat, max clean)! That is also an issue that needs to be looked at (lifting program design).

Week 2 Monday

6PM Weightroom

Bench - 175
Squat - 155
Clean 3x3 - 135

Reps - 3x5
Intensity - 100%
Rest - 3min

Notes - glad I could get something in, not quite what I wanted, but at least something. Hopefully I can get some track work in tomorrow and maybe some light plyos or circuit work, we shall see how the weather is and watnot. Thursday is the big move to ny so this week should be pretty messed up training wise.

Mort, looked at your comments, wont have time to respond for awhile yet, maybe end of the week or next week.

Wednesday Week 2

5PM Weightroom Session

Bench - 225, 275, 295, 315x
Squat - 225, 275, 315, 355x
Power Clean - 135, 185, 205, 225, 240x

Reps - to max
Intensity - 100%
Rest - 3min

Notes - just happy to get in the weightroom again, wanted to see if I could get any maxes and do you know what I couldn’t, the closest was the bench got stuck half way, tiny more force I wudda got it, the squat I got but it was no where near parallel, and the clean wasnt too great of an effort ither. But hey I got the rep right below for each one very cleanly so I’m gettin there, who knows when the next time I can lift will be, i’m hopin to get back on a good schedule in about two weeks, hopefully I can get on the track up in ny sometime next week, we will see, want to get as much in as I can before I have to be coached.

Week 2 Sat & Sun

Just some rough stuff when I had a chance, on saturday night I did like 50 pushups and 100 situps I know its not much but thats all I could get in haha.

Today I got to go to Binghamton’s track to run for the first time. I thought it was a very fast track, probably the fastest I have ever run on.

2x30m accel

6 min

3x60m

10min

Notes - just getting in what I can at this point, hopefully in a week or two I can get into regular training again once I get situated up here, but the track work felt fast so that is good I guess.

Week 3 Wednesday

Ankling 2x20m
A’s 2x20m
Double Leg Cycles 2x20m
B’s 2x20m

1m/1.5m

2x30m Accel

5m

150m
120m
90m

Rest - 5m
Intensity - 90%

Also some pushups and situps and varios body weight leg reps.

Notes - just chugging along trying to get situated here, the running is still pretty good so i’m not worried, but I need to get in the weightroom soon, I read that only teams are allowed in the weightroom, so I’ll have to see when the track team can go in, or when I am allowed in or whatever.

Week 3 Saturday

2PM Track Workout

Ankling 2x20
A’s 2x20
Single Leg Cycle R 2x20
B’s 2x20
Single Leg Cycle L 2x20

Rest - 1m/1.5m

2x30m Accel 5m
2x20m 4m
2x30m 5m
2x40m 6m

Notes - still feeling fast, hopefully I can get in the damn weightroom sometime soon, only teams are allowed in the weightroom and only at scheduled times what shyt. I think we start lifting this week, but I have class 10am-6pm so we will see how that goes.