Incline Flies
Concentration Curls
Decline Situps 2x25
Twist Situps 2x25
Hanging Lateral Lifts 2x25

Rest - 1 min
Reps - 1x13
Intensity - 85%

Notes - good workout, probably pushed a little too hard near the end, but nothing that is going to drain the cns.

4PM Track Workout

4x40m (2 accel, 2 blocks)
2x3x60m

Rest - 5m/10m
Volume - 520m

Notes - started to rain halfway through the 60’s, also felt a little stale during the runs and was not pleased at all with my form I guess just as a result of trying to work on too much at one time. Started feeling some pain in the front of my head like my brain was bouncing around, who knows. All and all not a bad day, but not what I wanted.

Maybe when your brain almost detaches during your workouts your CNS will eventually hypertrophy and your new enhanced brain structure will allow you to run the 100 in 3.1 and beat Gatlin.

Once I beat Gatlin my next barrier will be the speed of light!, First I have to break 11 though.

Tuesday Workout Week 3 -

1PM Weightroom Session 1

Incline Bench - 165, 190, 205
S-Leg Squat - 115, 145, 185
High Pull (2 set) Power Pull (1 set) - 135, 185, 225

Rest - 3min
Reps - 3x3
Intensity - 95%

Notes - meant for this to be my second workout, but didn’t have my weightroom pass with me, so I to do my at home workout first, happy with everything except my pulls, definately going to get a lot more olympic lift work in next cycle.

6PM Weightroom Session 2

Bench Press - 225, 225, 275, 310
Parallel Squat - 225, 275, 315, 355 (slightly above parallel)
Power Clean - 135, 185, 225x, 205, 225x

Rest - 3min
Reps - Singles to max
Intensity - 100%

Notes - very very pleased with my bench press, could have probably gotten the infamous 3 plates, too bad this is the least important lift. I was happy with my squat since I was having difficulties with 315 last week. My power clean on the other hand was just terrible, although I missed the first 225 because the bar I had was loose so it spun when I tried to catch the first time and had to change bars, nonetheless I definatley need to get some good olympic lift work in next cycle.

Wednesday Workout Week 3 -

11AM Weightroom Workout 1

Bench - 280, 295
Squat - 315, 315(slightly above parallel
Hang Clean - 190, 215

Rest - 3min
Reps - 2x2
Intensity - 100%

Notes - nothing special, pleased with the bench, also pretty pleased with the hang clean.

5PM Weightroom Workout 2

Incline Bench - 205, 225
1/4 Squat - 495, 545
Power Clean - 200, 225

Rest - 3min
Reps - 2x2
Intensity - 100%

Notes - very happy with my 1/4 squat 495 felt pretty light, 545 was pushing a little but still not too tough. Once again disappointed with my power clean, but atleast I got 225, the first one was nice, the second one was very ugly.

6PM Junk Session

2x30m Jogging A’s
2x30m Jogging B’s
2x50m High Knees
Forgot to mention 10min ball balance

Rest - 2min
Intensity - 60%

Notes - had to get this in real quick because Martinez is back in Boston so I have to watch the game and its started already so I gotta get going.

u afraid of overtraining man? looks like overkill.

Just wondering why you use 2 weightroom sessions in a single day at the max intensity you are doing? Just wondering… What else are you doing along with this?

TJ2K,

haha, thanks for actually reading my thread, as your the first to point out that it looks like my training is going to run head first into overtraining.

Actually I have thought this cycle out to a lot greater extent than any I have before, and I am attempting to walk that very line, the edge of chaos(from chaos theory). Well not actually, but what I am trying to do is progressively load my fatigue and hope for a better compensation during my rest week (next week).

Therefore I have placed all of my speed work and explosive work at the beginning of the cycle as they require you to be fresher, and the explosive stresses the cns less. Then I go into the max strength work which takes longer to recover from and have coupled it with the special endurance work which I don’t feel you need to be fresh for.

The goal is to have a progression of fatigue followed by a higher higher from the fitness achieve during the period and have the recovery period and fitness peak line up better at the other end.

Obviously this should be closely monitored, which I think I have been doing a fair job of, monitoring weight, resting pulse, reaction time, sleep, and physical and mental fatigue on a 1-5 scale.

I also use contrast bath, warm bath, icing, sauna, and massage for recovery.

I have started to feel some stagnation and loss of interest the past couple days, but my muscle fatigue has actually stayed quite low to my suprise this past week, however my mental fatigue is starting to mount.

Overtraining takes along time to develop especially with a semi-knowledgeable athlete and is mostly seen in distance athletes. However overreaching can occur, and some early signs of it are beginning to show up, but tomorrow is a lighter day and I believe that I can stave off anything major in the next couple of days and hope for some nice recovery next week.

Cortese,

The point of splitting the max intensity day is to get more out of the lifts, obviously 6 lifts in on a max intensity day your not going to get what would be your best lift if it were placed first. The goal is to get the most outta the max strength while not having too much fear of the extra cns fatigue that accompanies it at this point. I am still at or very near the highs which I can accomplish during the second lifts, my main worry is that I could not accomplish as much during one full session because of the exhaustion state (the fatigue overcoming the fitness) during the latter part of the workout.

Obviously this will cause greater cns stress because of the max effort being performed twice, but will allow for better use of max strength then would 4x2 IMO. Also the recovery here is key, I am not doubting this is stressing the cns but at this point that is somewhat what i’m trying to do.

Hopefully also allowing for greater training volume in the future which I am a little shaky about regarding supercompensation.

Note - this is just my opinion and not grounded as much in science as I would like, however I have talked to a decent amount of people regarding this and if skeptical (which not as many as i thougth would be) at least interested as to how it will turn out.

P.S. - while not completely based in science, not total b.s. either, much thought and study of various training modules went into this cycle.

Thursday Workout Week 3 -

Noon Weightroom Workout

S-Leg Press
S-Leg Curl
Hack Squat
Leg Extension
Rows
Good Mornings
Close Grip Bench
Flies
Skull Crushers
Stooped Russian Twist 2x20
Decline Situps 2x20

Rest - 3min
Reps - 1x13
Intensity - 90%

7PM Track Workout

2x20m Accel
Rest - 3min
2x55m
Rest - 6min

Notes - Absolutely dead tired right now. Also did 5x1min jog in place with 1 min rest around 5PM. Was suppose to do some special endurance today, but it was rainy almost the whole day, just got in the 55’s during a break in the rain.

Friday Workout Week 3 -

Noon Track Workout

Bench - 225, 235, 245, 255, 255 (3reps)
Parallel Squat - 185, 225, 245, 265, 265
Power Clean (5x3) - 155, 175, 175, 195, 195

Rest - 3min
Reps - 5x5
Intensity 100%

Notes - absolutely dead during and after the workout, thank God its the last one for this cycle and I get a week off. However I did better the beginning workout in this cycle even with the fatigue so looking good.

9PM Junk Work

3x6 Tuck Jump
3x6 Rocket Jump

Notes - everything went alright. Done with the work for this cycle, very pleased with this cycle, fatigue is right where I expected it to be and had been for basically the whole cycle, so hopefully the planning pays off.

Im curious to see as well how you end up after your rest period.

Monday - Wednesday Week 4 -

Monday

Moved up to New York so didn’t really get a chance to do anything in the way of structured workout but did have to lift furniture and what not so I guess that is good.

Tuesday

Came back to Pennsylvania, really exhausted from all the driving the two days, but at least thats the last move for two years. Got in some push ups and situps at night.

Did 3 sets of:

40 situps then 20 pushups
3 minute rest
20 situps then 10 pushups
3 minute rest

Wednesday

1 PM Weightroom

Bench Press 240
Squat 255
Power Clean 190

Reps - 3x3
Rest - 3 minutes
Intensity - 80%

5 PM Track

1x30m Accel
2x30m Blocks

8m Rest

Notes - just some light stuff this week as it is my week off, wednesday is the only day that I do a really structured workout and its usually at between 75-85% intensity. I was happy I could get my stuff moved in up to NY during my off week, I absolutely hate having to change my lifting routine once it is set, so that made me happy.

Thursday & Friday Week 4 -

Thursday

Medicine Ball Work w/ 10lb ball

Squat to Press
Squat to Bench
Good Mornings
Front Throw
Lunges
Woodchopper
VJ (2x5)
Figure 8

Reps - 2x20
Rest - 1.5 min
Intensity - 50-60%

Also added about 300 reps of situps that night.

Friday

Dumbell Curl
Preacher Curl
Concentration Curl
Barbell Curl
Close Grip Bench
Dumbell Tricep Extension
Machine Tricep Extension

Reps - Max - straight to next exercise
Rest - 0/5min
Intensity - 90%

Notes - both of the workouts were fun, I like gettin outta the weightroom on the week off so I like doing medicine ball work, and the second workout was good too, its the one workout during the month I get to try to look good for the ladies haha. Intensity really isnt as much of a factor for the arm workout, not as much MU recruitment. Also making the finishing touches on the next cycle, should be done by tomorrow.

CYCLE 2

Monday Week 1

10AM

Junk Session -

Weighted VJ - 1x5
VJ - 1x3 (between 32-34")
Weight VJ - 1x5
VJ - 1x3 (between 32-33")

Weighted 10 Bounds w/7 step approach - 1x3
10 Bounds - 1x3 (between 96-100’)
Weighted Bounds - 1x2
10 Bounds - 1x2 (100 & 102’)

Rest - 1 1/2m between reps of bounds, 5m between sets.

Notes - used 10 lb ankle weights.

Track Session -

2x30 accel
2x30 blocks

5/9m

2xflying 20 w/30m build up
2x60m

10/12m

Weight Session -

Bench - 75lb
Squat - 65lb
Snatch - 45lb

Reps - 3x10
Rest - 3min
Intensity - 100%

Notes - Had to run all of my workouts together and abbreviate them slightly because I went to the all star game home run derby, it was a good time, definately worth messing up my routine for the day. The workout went well, a little disappointed in the vj, but may have been due to the weighted jumps, not sure. but good to be back in the swing of things.

Tuesday Week 1 -

11AM Weightroom Workout

Deadlift
Incline Press
V-Pull
Barbell Rows
Front Raise
Calf Raise
Step Ups
Hack Squat
Situps 2x50
Side Situps 2x50

Reps - 2x6
Rest - 1 1/2m
Intensity - 75%

Notes - nothing our of the ordinary, a little more tired than usual, but just from a late night. I think the 2x6 might not be the best idea even at the low intensity, I think the higher weights even at low intensity is more taxing on the cns then higher reps at a lower weight.

Wednesday Week 1 -

Noon Weightroom Session

Bench - 235, 245, 255, 265
ISO - 2x2 10sec w/155
Squat - 225, 285, 315, 315
ISO - 2x2 10sec w/45low, 225high
Snatch - 115, 135, 135, 135 (4x3)
ISO - 2x2 10sec w/135

Intensity - 100%
Reps - 4x4
Rest - 3min
Rest - 2min ISO

Notes - Squat the first set was ATG, 2nd was below parallel, 3rd was parallel, 4th was slightly above. I am admittedly absolutely horrible at snatch, however my shoulder also gives out during snatch, and overhead squat for that matter, it doesn’t hurt it just pops then my arm falls, I don’t understand it but watever. It happened a few times even at 135 which is light, I mean I cant do much more, but still sad.

6PM Complex Session

Squat 2x2 (255lb) followed by
6x1 Broad Jump

9’9, 9’5, 9’10, 9’8, 10’1, 9’3

Snatch 2x2 (95lb) followed by
Overhead Med Ball Throw

46’, 44’
43’, 48’
48’, 49’

Bench 2x2 (205lb) followed by
Chest Med Ball Throw

40’, 40’
41’, 43’
43’, 44’

Single Leg Squat 2x2 (80lb) followed by
Single Leg VJ 2x3

All around 13-14"
Highest 15 1/2" left foot

Rest - 1min between lifting sets
5min between lift and plyo
1 1/2min between sets

Notes - very wet outside, almost slipped on the 10’1 slj so I backed off the last one, didn’t want to hurt myself on something stupid, also the ball was of course slippery so I could have probably thrown around 2-3’ further on some of the throws, and substituted single leg vert for box jumps so I didnt slip and tear my leg again.

8PM Junk Session

6x1min Jog in Place
6x10m Ankling

1 min between each jog
2 min between each ankling

Notes - had planned on another speed day today, but still crappy outside we have a flash flood watch so had to do this stuff inside. Have a meet coming up Friday so maybe not a bad idea not to burn myself out before it.

Thursday Week 1 -

4PM Weightroom Workout

Shrug
Close Bench
Lat Pull
Dumbell Rows
Side Raise
Heel Raise
Lunges
Leg Curls

Reps - 2x6
Rest - 1 1/2min
Intensity - 75%

Notes - will probably do some situps later on, not sure. Weather looking good for the meet tomorrow around 85 degrees and sunny at race time. Planning on doing the long jump and 100m which are suppose to start an hour apart. Predicting around 11.45 for the 100 and mid to high 20’ in the long jump, have been workin on max strength and havent really focused on speed lately and havent practice jumping at all.

keep up the hard work.

umm popequique, i hate to disturb this journal but i have a question… someone said that you have good knowledge on the field event of Long Jump and if i had any questions i should come to you. i got a quick enquiry, i have a long jump meet coming up in 3-4 weeks and i would like to know the best methods to ‘peak’ or to be prepared for?

you don;t have to answer here, if you want we can dicuss this in my journal. but thanks anyway if you can some time to help me.

as said before, keep up the hard work, its all looking good from here.

and a meet?? i’m going to have to check your results out when you come back and post. Goodluck with the meet, i will be cheering from my armchair lol

Monday Week 2 -

Noon Weightroom Workout

Bench - 265, 275, 285x2
Squat ATG - 225, 245, 255
Parallel Squat - 285, 285, 285
Hang Clean - 175, 195, 205

Intensity - 100%
Reps - 3x3
Rest - 3min

Notes - squat I started to focus more on a slow desent and exploding up so the number are a little low. Also although the numbers don’t show it too much I was absolutely dead during the workout way too much drinking and not enough eating or sleeping this weekend, it was one of my old college roomates wedding.

3PM Junk Session -

4x5 Rocket Jumps
2x30m A’s
4x5 x Tuck Jumps
2x30m B’s
4x5 x Lunge Jumps
2x30m Side Slide

Intensity - 100%
Rest - 2min

7PM Track Session

3x30m Accel

5m/9m

2x3x30m

6m/10m

Notes - all and all a good workout. Shins started to ache at the end so I cut the workout short, was planning on doing another set. Also probably not a bad idea as I plan on going to a meet up at penn state tomorrow, so look for the results. I’ll probably do triple jump and one other event, not quite sure which one yet though, depending on how i feel.

Wednesday Week 2 -

Noon Complex Session

1x4 Lunge 70lb
3x10 bound w/7 step approach
1x4 Lunge 70lb
3x10 bound w/7 step approach
STOPPED

Note - stopped Complex Session due to shin pain, might attempt it again tomorrow, but didn’t want to overdue things the day after a meet. Longest bound 101’.

6PM Weightroom Session

Bench - 175
Squat - 155
Hang Clean - 135

Reps - 3x5
Intensity - 100%
Rest - 10sec rep/ 3min set

Notes - felt very explosive very happy with the whole session. Hopefully the shin pain calms down by tomorrow so I can get some plyos and running in, both were meant for today, but better to take a day light then have to take weeks off. Also planning on going to another meet at Penn State next Tuesday so will probably take Monday of next week off so I’m not hurtin like today.

Thursday Week 2 -

6PM Weightroom Session

Deadlift
Incline Press
V-Pull
Barbell Rows
Front Raise
Calf Raise
Step Ups 3x10
Situps 2x50
Side Situps 2x50

Reps - 1x10
Rest - 1min
Intensity - 80%

Notes - everything went well, held the speed and complex sessions off another day my shins were still sore, no sense pushing it and injuring myself, anyhow the plan is to go back to back hard days then take two days off before the meet now.