show & go muscle

Hey guys,
Long time lurker, first time poster. A little background information. I’m a recreational athlete who didn’t play any high school sports and have been lifting for the past two years. I’m 23 and I weight 215 pounds with 20% bodyfat. My rep maxxes are as follow: squat - 335 lbs, bench - 205 lbs, deadlift - 305 lbs.

My goals are to build functional muscle with a good amount of hypertrophy but still be able to hang with all the little guys when I play 'em in soccer and football. Absolute speed nor absolute strength aren’t really what I’m looking for although I am taking away several techniques such as:

1. Always sprint before lifting.
  2. Rest 48 hours in between sprinting/lifting sessions.
  3. Focus on compound movements like olympic-style squats, bench presses, push presses, chin-ups, and deadlifts.
  4. For strength, 1-6 reps. For hypertrophy, 6-10 reps.

I do have some questions:

1. Should I do explosive lifting in my workouts besides just absolute strength stuff? Such things like: Jump Squats, Dumbbell Swings, Speed Squats, Speed Bench.
  2. What does a sprinter’s overall diet look like? I’ve looked on the Nutrition section of the forum but alas, I cannot find it. I’m thinking a 2000 calorie diet with 60% protein, 60% carbs, and 20% fat. Am I going along the right tracks or am I way off?

Thanks guys,
Kurt

You’re on the right track but if you add up 60 + 60 + 20 it equals 140%. 2000 calories is barely enough for your average 150-pound male and definetly not enough for even a recreational athlete. I would include the speed movements in your lifts but since you’re mostly recreational try to keep them submaximal to ensure adequate bar speed. All sprinters are different, but a good resource for nutrition info is www.johnberardi.com. QUIKAZHELL posts some info on his diet in the thread “Oh man, I need some help”. I believe he’s about 150-160 and he consumes something like 4-5000 calories most days.

Yes. I am 155 and I consume 3500-4500 cals.

Believe, you live in the same city in which Westside Barbell is located and you also live very close to where Elitefts is located.

Call Louie at Westside or Dave at Elitefts and set something up. Take advantage of this tremendous opportunity to work with some of the most knowledgeable, strong, and experienced lifters around.