Short jumps vs long jumps

Hello everyone,could someone explain to me the difference between that 2 kinds of jumps (sorry but my english is not as good and I have little problems to comprehend some terms)

I´ve read to manage that 2 kinds of jumps depending on the spp phase (1 or 2),could someone explain this please?

Well,lot of thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Any answer???

Please,come on I need a bit of help!!!

Eoooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Short jumps are (mostly) vertical jumps for height, such as bounding drills, hops over hurdles, and box jumps. Long jumps are horizontal jumps for distance, such as single or alternate leg hopping for distance, or repetitive standing long jumps.

Short and long jumps are complementary but not interchangeable: They don’t do the same things. It appears that short (vertical) jumps help mostly your explosiveness at the start, while horizontal jumps improve the explosiveness of your stride at max V.

it think its the other way round, horizontal jumps(long) will help your start, and verticle jumps help top speed as they promote a faster contact time.

Lot of thanks!!! :slight_smile: but because your opposite answers now I know a little more but ´still confused :confused:

Could someone put a bit of light in these opposite answers? :smiley:

There was a Verkhoshansky study (I think it was him) that had sprinters do either short bounds for speed bounds or long bounds for distance or both. The short bound group improved 30m time the most. The long bound group improved top speed the most. The group that did a combination both had the best result over 100m.

I think you can find the study in Verkhoshansky’s texts http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/sportivny/library/rwl.htm

Have you seen any of his books you are referring to? Your opinion?
Thanks!

PS if i remember correctly, PJ refers to this study, or something similar in one of the “Lactate Threshold” pages early on :confused:

I have both of the Verkhoshansky texts (Fundamentals of Special Strength, Programming & Organization) and I really like them both.
That being said Verkhoshansky is angry that they were translated to English by this Charniga guy without his permission. He says that the translation is inaccurate and does not convey his ideas properly.
THAT being said, Verkhoskansky’s English isn’t very good so I don’t know if he is really able to determine if the translation is accurate or not. :smiley:

Thanks for this!
Yes, I know…
And if this is true, Charniga’s statement before every article seems ironic… (“Do not reproduce or republish in part or in whole without the expressed consent of the author.”) :rolleyes:

This is what the man him self (Y.V.) had to say about this in the SuperTraining forum:
"This is the first time that my work is published in USA with my approval.

In 1986 and 1988, same of my works were translated and published by Chiarniga without my permission (I were not even advised about this). I discovered they were not very corresponding to original texts and this could create some misunderstanding about my ideas."

The work he is referring to can be found here, I believe, for those interested:

http://www.ultimateathleteconcepts.com/store/newbook.html
SPECIAL STRENGTH TRAINING PRACTICAL MANUAL FOR COACHES

I´ve got to get those books :slight_smile:

Could someone put an example (in general terms) of a planning with short jumps and long jumps please?