Sex and training

What are peoples thoughts and experiences with sex as it relates to training and performance? Indulgence? Overindulgence? Abstinence? etc.

I ask this very earnestly as I have noticed a profound difference in training intensity and performance when I have chosen or been forced to abstain for several weeks. There even apears to be a definite and strong connection between sexual vitality and neuromuscular explosiveness. This is confirmed by my experiences in college when I was going “nuts” with it and: lost 5"on my vertical; experienced unusual tightness in my hamstrings, and began to experience persistent tenderness in my adrenals(lumbar region). Upon experiencing a peak of nervous excitation there is a very definite sensation of energy being drawn from up along the back of my legs (hamstring area). As earlier stated, a feeling of libidinal force accompanies top performances.

Some of this has been corroborated by other cats and my reading of athlete bios (Speed Trap for example-Ben). I have also spoken candidly with several people on this issue. This all applies moreso to males, as the actual loss of vital fluid, seems to have even more significant consequences, especially over time.

It almost seems as though the tautness of the nerves is directly correlated to the libido/ abundant reproductive fluid and force.

Hopefully this is not in poor taste. But the correlation just appeared to be so strong and pervasive and I could think of no better place to voice this than a forum focused on speed and regeneration in partucular. Thoughts? Implications?

Malcolm, I think what’s tired you out in the past was the chase rather than the act. :slight_smile:

Effects of sexual intercourse on maximal aerobic power, oxygen pulse, and double product in male sedentary subjects.

Boone T, Gilmore S.

Department of Exercise Physiology, College of St. Scholastica, <st. scholastica??? - me > Duluth, MN, USA.

It is well known that athletes in the United States are told to abstain from sexual intercourse prior to athletic competition. The rationale for such a policy appears to be related to the hypothesis that sexual intercourse decreases the athletes’ ability to perform efficiently and/or maximally. But the effect that sexual intercourse may have on exercise performance has not been examined widely. Very likely, the restrictions placed on athletes have little to do with the athletes’ physiological ability to substain a particular exercise intensity and/or perform maximally. The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of sexual intercourse 12 hours prior to maximal treadmill exercise on aerobic power, oxygen pulse, and double product (i.e., an index of relative cardiac work). Eleven male subjects were tested on the treadmill with and without prior sexual intercourse. The results from the maximal exercise tests showed that aerobic power, oxygen pulse, and double product were not different. Therefore, the data suggest that it is justified to dismiss the point of view that sexual intercourse decreases maximal exercise performance.

Effect of sexual activity on cycle ergometer stress test parameters, on plasmatic testosterone levels and on concentration capacity. A study in high-level male athletes performed in the laboratory.

Sztajzel J, Periat M, Marti V, Krall P, Rutishauser W.

Cardiology Center and Medical Policlinics, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland.

BACKGROUND: The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of sexual activity on cycle ergometer stress test parameters, on plasmatic testosterone levels and on concentration capacity in high-level male athletes. METHODS: Experimental design. Analysis of two days of testing accomplished in a laboratory setting, comparing a day with to a day without sexual activity (control day). Participants. Fifteen high-level male athletes, consisting of 8 team players, 5 endurance athletes and 2 weight-lifters, participated in the study. Measures. Each subject completed the following on each test day: two maximal graded stress tests on a cycle ergometer and a one-hour exercise stress test coupled to an arithmetic mental concentration test. Blood samples of testosterone were obtained and cardiac activity of each athlete was monitored with a 24-hour ECG tape recording over the two test days. RESULTS: Significantly higher differences were achieved for post-effort heart rate (HR) values at 5 minutes (p<0.01) and at 10 minutes (p<0.01) during the recovery phase of the morning stress test 2 hours after sexual activity. These differences disappeared during the recovery phase of the afternoon stress test performed approximately 10 hours after sexual intercourse took place. CONCLUSIONS: Our findings show that sexual activity had no detrimental influence on the maximal workload achieved and on the athletes’ mental concentration. However, the higher posteffort HR values after the maximal stress test on the morning of sexual intercourse suggest that the recovery capacity of an athlete could be affected if he had sexual intercourse approximately 2 hours before a competition event.

Originally posted by Malcolm
lost 5"on my vertical

That has to be tough on you.:frowning:

LOL the one LOL:D :smiley:

5" loss on vertical
Mind you this was also concurrent with a 4 month layoff and chronic sleep deprivation. (It may have actually been just over 4")

Test studies

I can see why a parameter of twelve hours yielded no significant differences. In my experience the loss in strength and performance always occurred:

-after approximately 36-48 hours. (12 hours later I still felt strong, perhaps slightly stronger, with high hormonal levels and sharp nervous responses)

-after cumulative effects had set in

What caused the chronic sleep depreivation.

I wish I had that problem re: overindulgence of sex.

How does one apply to take part in one of these studies?

Originally posted by Charlie Francis
How does one apply to take part in one of these studies?

Ahh, that gave me a good laugh.

Yes please

Oh sorry I tought I was a sign up thread for Sex Training.

On a serious note though,
I would be as concerned with the effects of ‘love’ as with the ‘loss of fluids’ etc.
The mental confusion and emotional turmoil associated with this whole area can be more stressful than ‘fluid loss’ in my opinion.

BTW - Losing 5" ?
Feel for you man - I certainly couldn’t afford to lose 5".

lost 5"on my vertical; experienced unusual tightness in my hamstrings, and began to experience persistent tenderness in my adrenals(lumbar region). Upon experiencing a peak of nervous excitation there is a very definite sensation of energy being drawn from up along the back of my legs (hamstring area).

Mebbe the cause of this is a sexual technique / biomechanical problem that could be addressed :smiley:

Post video 4 analysis ?

plz nooooo!!!

i have noticed that when i “Bust One” the day before i sprint i am pretty loose yet powerful. I feel good and i seem to run faster and more relaxed. But i have to “bust one” early the day before and get a good 8-9 hours of sleep and not pracice until around 6 that next afternoon. If i “Bust One” and dont get a good nite’s sleep or practice early that next day, I feel weak and unrelaxed at practice. I also seem to not be able to control my legs.

Does Masturbation count? :wink: :smiley: LOL

Specificity of the neuroendocrine response to orgasm during sexual arousal in men.

Kruger TH, Haake P, Chereath D, Knapp W, Janssen OE, Exton MS, Schedlowski M, Hartmann U.

Department of Medical Psychology, University of Essen, Hufelandstr 55, Federal Republic of Germany. tillmann.krueger@web.de

We have demonstrated that sexual activity produces transient sympathoadrenal activation and a pronounced, long-lasting increase in prolactin in men and women.

Vasopressin, LH, FSH and testosterone plasma concentrations remained unaltered during sexual arousal and orgasm.