Set/Rep Scheme for GPP weights?

I don’t want to give away all the info on the video, but would this progression of set/reps be proper for GPP? I’m following the weights exactly as shown on the DVD, for those who have it.

Week 1
Clean Pulls (from floor) 3x8
All other lifts 3x12

Week 2
Clean Pulls (from floor) 3x8
All other lifts 3x12

Week 3
Clean Pulls (from floor) 4x8
All other lifts 3x10

Week 4
Clean Pulls (from floor) 4x6
All other lifts 4x10

Week 5
Clean Pulls (from floor) 4x6
All other lifts 4x8

Week 6
Power Cleans 4x6
All other lifts 4x8

Week 7
Power Cleans 4x5
Most other lifts 4x6
A few assistance lifts 4x8

Is this alright? I’m looking to gain some lean muscle mass before the season starts, and I figure GPP would be the time to do it. I made this progression up on my own, so I’m not sure if it’s right or not, which is why I’m looking for some feedback if possible.

Also, for weights in SPP I’m not really sure what to do. I want to try a 3-1 deal where I go three weeks of loading followed by an unloading week for a total of 12 weeks. However, I’ve been looking and I can’t find any info about this protocol as far as sets and reps, so if there are any articles out there or if someone can explain the concept in further detail I would really really be grateful.

Bump…Anyone?

I think I’ve got my SPP weights squared away, but can any of the more knowledgable can tell me whether this set/rep progression makes sense (regardless of the exercises, but most are compound focusing on the big movers)? Looking to add muscle mass with the first 5 weeks, with the next 2 weeks used to transition into SPP and max strength.

How many total lifts are you doing? How hard are you going on these?

The first 5 weeks consist of days of 3 and 4 lifts, alternating with one another. The intensity is medium. I consider M/W/F to be my “high intensity” days with it being in the 60-65% range. T/Th/Sa are “low” intensity days, where I choose a weight that I know I can complete for 2 more reps than listed, and then do that (for example, if I know I can bench 155 14 times, I’ll use 155 for a set of 12).

For an example, this is what week 1 looks like…

Monday: Bench 3x12
Lat Pull (front) 3x12
Military Press 3x12
Seated Row 3x12

Tuesday: Clean Pull 3x8
Deadlift 3x12
Squat 3x12
RDL 3x12

Wednesday: Inc. Bench 3x12
Lat Pull (back) 3x12
Seated Row 3x12

Thursday: Clean Pull 3x8
Squat 3x12
Push Press 3x12
Good Mornings 3x12

Friday: Bench 3x12
Lat Pull (front) 3x12
Military Press 3x12
Seated Row 3x12

Saturday: Clean Pull 3x8
Deadlift 3x12
Squat 3x12
RDL 3x12

Mister C,

How many exercises are you using? How many are included "other exercises? What rest interval are you going to use between sets and exercises? Just wondering

Well, I’m in week 4 of that progression at this point and it seems to be working well. Exercises are 3-4 movements per day. Rest intervals were in the 60 second range for the first 3 week, 90 seconds for 4 and 5, and then up to 2 minutes in weeks 6 and 7.

To give an example, a staple of my lower body days is Clean Pull, Squat, RDL. For upper body, a standard day would look some thing like Bench, Lat Pull, Military Press, Seated Row. That’s it. No isolation movements, only big compound ones that hit a lot of muscles. Occasionally, I’ll throw in curls for asthetics, but all in all I stick pretty much to the prime movers.

How come you’re moving up in rep numbers in the SPP compared to the GPP?

?

Moving up in rep numbers? For the most part, I’m moving down from what I’ve shown. In SPP the reps will vary week to week, but it will stay in the 2-6 range as I’m working on improving Max Strength. Could you clarify what you’re talking about please, maybe it’s just not getting through to me?

You moved from sets of 8 to sets of 12. Shouldn’t the numbers in the sets be going down?

Hmm, maybe I’m not very clear. That example week you pasted was for week 1. The plan starts with sets of 12 in week 1, sets of 10 in week 3, sets of 8 in week 5, sets of 6 in week 7, and then sets of 6-2 in SPP.

So week one is GPP then? I’m confused!

I think (for sake of clarity) that he was just showing what it was during GPP, yes. I assume during SPP he’d go into the traditional 3-1-3 MaxStrength cycle found elsewhere.

Ok got it.

Right, right, sorry. In my mind it made perfect sense I guess! Thanks for clarifying joesixpack.

if u r a advance athlete i wouldnt be doin all those reps.

Personally I’m not a fan of such high reps in the deadlift, clean pull, or push press, as technique tends to break down when you fatigue. Those three lifts can not afford technical break downs. If you are using a submaximal weight (for the reps done) I could possibly see doing it with deadlift as long as you cut the set if there was a break down in technique.

If by clean pull you are describing the explosive combining of the first & second pull of the clean (the movement without the catch), I feel five reps is as high as you should ever go per set. Actually, when performing an explosive pull at the top, I prefer to keep the sets at no higher than 3-4 reps (reset the body prior to every rep). With the push press, or if/when you progress to the jerk a set of 4 is high reps. Sets of 2-3 reps are more suitable in my opinion. The fact that these are total body lifts, and the emphasis should be on the speed of movement (explosive in nature) make them very taxing on you physically, which in turn will cause a break down in technique in the later reps of the set.

I’m sure some will disagree with what I have said, but these are my feelings on the subject.

I completely agree with you snatchcoach!!!
The problem I have with this approach is how to progress to real 5RM DL with a begginer over time, while still provocing “anatomical adaptation”, or mmas increase??? Would you use progressivelly larger wights in DL (and other complex compund exercises) for 1-5reps, while doing larger reps with auxilary training?
http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=11704
http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=12646

With exercises such as the DL, SQ, PC, Jerk, or SN I have successfully used the following with
beginners. For example I would start off with four sets of six in the DL. The weight would be one the lifter would be able to do with ease (around 40-50% of an estimated 1 RM). I progress the weight in small increments so as to maintain proper body position & technique (the final set of week one would be approx. 60-65% of estimated 1RM). Each workout the weights will progress according to the technique and ability of the lifter. By gradually progressing the intensity slowly over a four week cycle the lifter is able to improve technique while at the same time developing a foundation for heavier training poundages in the future. The intensity at the end of the first four week cycle would be approx. 70-75% of an estimated 1RM. Although the approximate volume & intensity are planned ahead of time, the actual weight assigned for the sets during each workout will be determined by what I witness during the session (I.E. technique, strength levels for the day, etc.). As a lifter becomes more technically proficient they are able to progress more rapidly, and with pre-determined intensity levels (based on the cycle). However, when possible I still like to witness any peaking sets to determine the final sets (open sets) for the workout, regardless of the ability of the lifter.

Thanks!
I was thinking on simmilar approach, but you didn’t answered the core question: altought I agree with you on this approach of teaching DL, Squats, Clean etc, are this approach enough to provide “anatomical adapation” or “hypertrophy” (under the periodization approach of Tudor BOmpa - long linear periodization)???
I belive that high rep training has its purpose with begginers too!

Another thing I must mention is that begginers, tend to have good form with complex movement even if you use larger reps (with larger buffer, 2-3reps in reserve) due lower recruitment. The problems starts when mediocre/advenced lifters try to do squats with larger reps (like I did just this afternoon). Under the logic of pakewi, maybe it is better to forget mechanical rep/set schemes and look at the quality only.

BTW, should we get “outside the box” of Tudor Bomba’s approach to weight training? Are high reps really neccesery with begginers, especially with complex exercises?

1. For lifts such as the clean & the DL reps in the 5 (CL) to 6 (DL) range represent hypertrophy volumes (in my mind). For other lifts such as BP & SQ I consider this range between 8 & 12 reps per set. I rarely go above 12 reps on any multi-joint exercises when in the Hypertrophy Phase of my program. If I go above 12 (say 15-20 reps per set) it is usually with auxiliary movements, and most times in the form of super sets (2 paired exercises performed back to back w/ no recovery between them) or giant sets (3 paired exercises w/ no recovery between). These are/can be performed on the medium or light intensity days of the week during the Hypertrophy Phase or for a short (2 weeks, 3 sessions per week) Increased Work Capacity Phase (sport-specific conditioning phase).

2. Why would you need a set with more than say 12 reps on a complex movement? If I’m pre-conditioning the muscles & connective tissues for upcoming increases in intensity, I can do so by increasing the volume in the form of increased number of sets and exercises for a particular muscle group?. Four sets of 12 reps on the squat (volume of 48 reps) + four sets of 6 reps on the DL (volume of 24 reps), followed by three sets of 10 reps on the weighted step-up (volume of 30 reps) will give you 102 reps of total leg, glute, & erector work for the day (that’ll wake you up in the mornin’ boys).

And I agree…quality of quanity! If at anytime the technique gets suspect, shut it down and move on to something else.

1. A lot of people are now saying linear periodization (Bompa, Stone & Garhammer, Vershonsky-sp) doesn’t work. I learned (and was trained) under such a system back in the 70’s & 80’s by folks (Jon Cole & Jim Maher) who were using a Soviet-Eastern Bloc type system they were able to glean from translated articles. In the 80’s & 90’s when the S & C field seemed to explode in the U.S. (primarily due to guys like Boyd Epley at the University of Nebraska, who was trained by Cole as well) the first systems used were based on Eastern Bloc methods. Personally, they have worked for me. However, these methods were developed for Olympic sports. I have had to adapt what I do for football, baseball, basketball, volleyball, etc. where there is more than one or two peaking periods (football season can be 16 weeks long, with an important competition for several consecutive weeks). So, in answer to your question, yes I think any concept must be adapted to your particular situation.

Sorry to be so verbose.