Sample Jay Schroeder Program

A few months ago, there was quite a discussion about Jay Schroeder’s methods on this forum. Everyone who has purchased his video has agreed that it’s impossible to develop a workout based on the info given. I looked up the Supertraining archives and found this. It’s a sample program that Jay wrote for a college rugby team. I also posted this over on the elitefts website:
Isometric : 1-3 Minutes

Ice Massage: 3 - 5 Minutes

Rest 4 -6 Minutes: Specialized Drinks

Rebound Technique: 3 Minutes Total Performance [No Rest Time Included]

Rest 4 - 6 Minutes: Self Massage

3 x 1 x 80% 10 Count Eccentric, Followed By Rapid Concentric Phase. Use
Vibrator Massage Between Sets

3 x 2 x 90% Manual Overspeed, Normal Eccentric Phase,[ Concentric Phase Must
Be Performed in 25% Of Normal Performance Time]

ANCILLIARY METHODICS SCHEDULE

Perform A Normal Eccentric and Then Hold For 3 - 10 Counts And Perform A Fast
Concentric, For A Total Of 3 Sets Of 3 Reps
Perform the Following Ancillary Exercises: Russian Twist, Glute-Ham Raise,
Barbell Row, Barbell Curl
Perform These Exercises On Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday

MASTER PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE

Weeks 1 and 2 Perform As Is Written

Weeks 3 and 4: Drop Slow Eccentric On 80% Performance, Manual
Overspeed Increases To 105%

Weeks 5 and 6: Drop The Isometric

Weeks 7 and 8: Perform 2 X 1 X 95%, 2 X 1 X 105%, 2 X 1 X 110% With No
Ancillary Work

WEEKLY PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE

Isometric
Rebound
Primary

Monday:

One Legged Squat
Russian Lunge
Squat
Double Bounce

Tuesday:

Wide Dip
Close Grip Bench
Bench Press
Top & Bottom

Wednesday:

Deadlift In Cage
Low Squat Foot Jump
Deadlift
Top & Bottom

Thursday:

Off - Restorative Measures, Active Rest

Friday

All E.D.I., All Primary - 5 Sets

Saturday:

Rebound Push-Ups,
Russian Lunge - 200 Of Each, Perform Throughout The Day

Sunday:

Off Restorative Measures

not to get off tangent, but how was that video? Worth buying?

THnx

D.

It is worth buying I would say. The exercises are unique and it will give you somewhat of a grasp on what it is they do. At $25, you get what you pay for.

If you know how to train, and how periodisation effects your body, it’s not a big deal. You can adapt the exercises you like easily into your own schedule

But it’s still hard to put together a true program without more info. than the video gives.

I think what CoolCol is saying is that Jay introduces and presents the concepts to you.

You can adapt some of the exercises and incorporate them into your own by understnding the concepts and the theory behind the concepts e.g. eccentric forces, absorbtion before exertion etc. etc.

I agree. From just watching the video, however, it’s impossible to know how to piece them together for maximum effect.

There are 2 ideas though I would like to debate though regarding his training …

1. Nutrition During Exercise
    Some might like to contribute on this one, I must check up Berardi on this too - But does Prot. Synthesis begin while training or after? If During, perhaps a properly balanced, low solution drink would boost syth.? Or is this just something similar to Pre-training ingestiuon of Protein (and some carbs)?

2. Cyrotherapy DURING training
    I know Clemson has some ideas on this, but I cannot understand the benefit - in fact is it not a disadvantage to restrict blood flow while trying to develop strength - or am I on the wrong idea here altogether ? [Just move the ice further up my Glute Franco … :slight_smile: ]

Further …
I also presume the 105% etc is 105% of the 1RM taken on Week 1 ( …or Week 0)?
Can anyone elaborate on the term Resorative Measures?

Nightmare, Richard, Clemson?

Can anyone explain how to do a Russian lunge, Squat double bounce and low squat foot jump.

The reason why the video doesn’t go into that stuff is because it’s done by Adam’s management not by Jay.

I hope to get a copy of it sometime soon, finger’s crossed, because they don’t send it overseas!!!

Probably a silly question - but when Jay says …

“Perform 2 x 1 X 95% …”

I presume that’s 2 sets, 1 rep at 95% ???

Well, at other times he’s saying 3 x 1 x 80% with vibrator massage between the sets so I figure yes he means sets first.

Maybe … was is normal convention?

Jay deliberately tries to be misleading :slight_smile:

ill leave the ass icing to clemsom but i will jump in on the protein issue.

i deal with alot of endurance athletes and the new marketing hype product is accelerade by pacific health labs (the same cats that developed endurox R4). it uses the same basic 4:1 carbs to protein ratio that R4 uses but has half the caloric content and different (simpler) carbs. the marketing hype will have you think that you NEED protein during endurance events. now this may or may not be true ( i know you do need BCAA for over 90mins continous endurance training/racing but im not yet sold on needing the complete protein matrix) and they may make it make sense in some areas BUT what effect does ingesting whey protein during exercise have on the overall state of the body, more impotantly the digestive system?

point being (and i did have one in mind) that even if having protein gives you a 5% (just a number i came up with for ease of discussion) boast in performance or protein synthesis, it may/can cause a 10% lose in digestion ability. i think back to john’s idea of having a pre workout surge or gatorade homebrew mix to spike insulin, this may do what its suppose to but what effect does the sudden drop in blood sugar have on the second half of your workout?

it becomes a cost/value issue. yes something may help one aspect of training/racing a small amount, but does it take away from another vital system or function.

think back to when athletes (and i still get asked about this) were taking massive amounts of baking soda before events, yes it probably did help with lactic acid buffering, but at what cost to overall function of the body?

Someone on the t-mag forum said that Jay mixes Raw Eggs with Kool Aide before a workout but I think that the person was just being an ass.

Application of Isometrics

I read somewhere that Jays isometric holds are for between 30-45 seconds … but reading t-mag this week they talk about 3 holds for only 6 secs at various stages in the ROM.

My impression was also that Iso holds were only/or best applied at the extreme ROM or within 15 degrees of the ROM?

This iso stuff is starting to hurt my brain …

Comments or views - or better still a few references?

Do look back through the archives. Tom Green had posted some references before. Tom can you help these guys out again?

Dan Fichter

Thanks Dan -
I’ve gone through msome of the archives and Jays’ 1 mins holds etc. one one legged squats etc. …

Originally posted by no23
[b]Application of Isometrics

I read somewhere that Jays isometric holds are for between 30-45 seconds … but reading t-mag this week they talk about 3 holds for only 6 secs at various stages in the ROM.

My impression was also that Iso holds were only/or best applied at the extreme ROM or within 15 degrees of the ROM?

This iso stuff is starting to hurt my brain …

Comments or views - or better still a few references? [/b]

actually Jay uses anywhere from 10 secs to 1min up to 3mins!

Iso old at full ROM is reflected upon the full range of the muscle, but Iso holds can be used to target specific points of the ROM’s sticking point etc for max targeting. Ie insstead of making the whole ROM stronger you can bring up the weaker areas so the it’s more balanced.

It’s not magic anyway, just another tool