Running A's for tempo?

Charlie talked about replacing SE runs with extended running A drills, but could tempo runs be also replaced by running A’s? This would be done during winter (in snow). When replacing the big circuit with these, it would look something like this:

15s - 15s - 15s +
15s - 30s - 15s - 15s +
…and so on, where “-” denotes a 30s rest and “+” one minute of rest.

Any comments?

Charlie? Anybody? Is this protocol reasonable?

The long running As I referred to are Strength Endurance- a very tough and intense form of endurance- not the same as tempo- but you could do running on the spot on a mat (limited knee lift) for intervals mixed with varied exercises- ie 80 steps on the mat then 10 push-ups then 80 stps then 25 crunchies, etc.

I use running As in my program for strength endurance. But during the winter months, is this something that could be helpful on an everyday basis, assuming you can’t run outside and have no adequate indoor facilities?

Then you can work as I suggested above on a mat indoors, with a very limited space requirement.

For the example you gave, would there be any recovery time in between, or is everything continuous? Also, we only have the wrestling mats that are for immediate use. Are they sufficient, or would I need bigger/thicker mats like high jump mats?

I meant wrestling mats. The action is continuous (like the push-up sit-up workout on the grass) for 10 reps with a five min break, followed by another set if required.

Could I run on mats for time (30-60 sec. intervals), or would running in a set amount of steps be better?

Also, is this what you mean:
80 steps, then 25 crunchies - 5 min. recovery?
or
80 steps, then 25 crunchies times 10, then 5 min. recovery after the 10 reps?

I think the latter.

Thanks for the responses. I will propably do one SE session a week and 2-3 sessions of lower intensity runs in place.

By the way, when calculating tempo volumes with this type of training, how long a distance is 80 steps equivalent with?

I think that is hard to say. It would probably depend on the individual.

I have a question. Can running on the mats be used ONLY as a form of tempo, or can you use this for CNS type training also?

I have used running A’s for tempo. I can do several 150m runs with short rest and do not have any lactic accumulation which leads me to believe they are primarily aerobic, and hence will promote capillary density and be useful in maintaining aerobic capacity. If I extend the distance by atleast 50m they then become harder and fatigue sets in.