rogue leader...

tuesday
4x200m, 75%
3x20m accel, 3pt start, 85%

starting to feel pretty good physically. a few comfortable 200’s and some accelerations to start working on my technique. concentrating on quick feet and light steps. it has occurred to me that perhaps I don’t need to worry so much about not living near a proper athletics track. the cricket pitch centre is a brilliant substitute… :cool:

friday
trampoline
-pogo* jumps x50
-tuck jumps x20
-1 leg jump/land, alternating x20
upper body circuit
-arm swings 2kg 1:20, 10kg 2:20
-OH press 2kg 1:10, 10kg 2:6
-curls 2kg 1:6, 10kg 2:6
squat
-30kg 4:20

oh, happy day! I have found a track and a club to run with! it’s a fair way away, so it probably won’t be viable for training, but they have a synthetic surface and electronic timing. they also have a winter track program that starts next week at 10 in the morning. during the summer, comps are run on friday evenings…

(*after john’s question I looked them up in my plyometrics book and it called them “pogo” jumps)

Wow! Sounds great! How did you find that one?? :wink:

BTW: Where in Sydney are you staying? There are at least 7 synthetic tracks in the Sydney area, plus a few grass tracks, so wherever you are, there should be a suitable training track relatively close by.

I’m about 45mins west of the ridge track. I’ve looked around for tracks but haven’t had much luck. found a few grass ones but they’re not much chop. I’m grateful for any further information…

What’s the suburb? The Campbelltown track would probably be the closest to “45mins west” of Illawong. Sutherland and Bankstown also have synthetic tracks.

west hoxton.

I’ll have a look for those tracks you mentioned and see what I prefer. I’ll also be looking for the sort of club set up that suits me best.

monday
tramp jumps
-pogo jumps x50
-tuck jumps x20
squats
-50kg 3:5
-70kg 3:5

energy levels were pretty low, so I went pretty easy tonight… (little miss has decided that the day now begins before sunrise)

Campbelltown is the closest synthetic track for you, followed by Bankstown. Bankstown has a very strong sprints squad, including some international level athletes. The Campbelltown track is quite fast. I set my 100m PB there, and Patrick Johnson ran the 200m in 20.25s (+2.6) on this track.

thursday
trampoline
-pogo jumps x50
-pogo jumps +5kg x20
-tuck jumps x20
-tuck jumps +5kg x10
-tuck jumps +10kg 3x10

energy levels are still really low. was planning to do some sprinting on wednesday, but I was too tired. hoped to make it up again today but still to tired. so I just had an easy one.

I’ll be doing a 60, a 100 and a 145 on saturday, so that should make up for it…

saturday
60m 8.01s
100m 12.59s

pretty ordinary times, but with only two track sessions under my belt so far I’m not too concerned. the 100 was only about 10mins after the 60, so that wasn’t ideal. I think next week, if I run again, I will do just the 60 and then later on the 150…

The online results say 12.73. The 100m times were quite slow accross the board though. The winner (11.30) is a 10.69 guy and the second place getter (11.50) has run under 11s as well. The guy who came third (11.91) has run a windy 11.38 this year. How were the conditions? The 145m runs were terribly slow it seems.

hhmmm, I must have looked at the wrong time. maybe 12.59 was someone else.

the track was wet and it was a bit chilly, but there was virtually no wind…

sunday
3x200m @ 36s

tuesday
3x200m @ 34s

saturday
6x40m hills

monday
squats 5:5 30kg, 5:5 50kg
lunges 3:3 30kg

the hamstring was pretty bad after my rubbish racing a couple of weeks ago. I had a few treatments on it and it’s in pretty good shape now. I’ve taken to doing a lot of lunges between training sessions. I find it’s something I can still do while I keep an eye on the bub and my left side especially needs the work.

I’m giving tempo another chance, since the trampoline experiment came up short. I’ve decided to limit myself to 600m per session and be vigilant with my foot arch massage (shin pain seems to follow foot cramps). I’ve also discovered a fantastic hill just a few minutes drive from my house. it’s pretty steep, but that’s ok. it will serve me well in getting ready for some serious acceleration training…

thursday
3x200 (30, 32, 33)

little miss has been sick for the last few days, and I haven’t been too crash hot, either. sleep has been very hard to come by, but I decided to hit the track this arvo and run through a few slow 200’s. it always surprises me how much faster I run at training when I forget about speed and just concentrate on technique. conversely, I seem to run faster at races when I forget about technique and focus on speed…

saturday
10x40m hill, 60-80%
6x40m hill, 80-90%
1x20m hill walking lunges

best session since stawell. I’m finally starting to feel as though things are coming together a bit…

You must be referring to the Track at Menai. This surface is slow plus it’s usually windy.

yep, that’s the one. although, the official suburb is barden ridge, I believe.

certainly seemed pretty slow to me, although there wasn’t really any wind. there were traces of the local tip wafting through the air, though… :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes. I’ve raced there in the past, and I know the track is not fast. However, when a 11.4e sprinter runs 18.84s over 145m on a track where I ran 16.34 while in 11.3e shape it looks odd to me. The same guy ran 17.40 one week later.

I’m liking all this talk about how slow the track was because it makes me feel a little bit better about my awful times! :o

if I take .2 off the 100 then I guess it’s not so bad for this stage of the season…

I ran 7.36 last year in earlier October before having some injury problems. I had hit 10.0ms at 30m on light gates- so I was sure I would go close to sub 7.0 however I ran 7.36. The quickest 60m e on the track is 6.86 by 10.4 runner. The track can be fast when the winds are right and if its warm. The problem is that the surface is not good and because of the usual cross winds and cold weather -times are not fast.

tuesday
3x200m, 90s rest (27, 29, 38)

went a bit quicker on the first two today and just took it nice and easy on the third. I want to work on trying to get my 3x200’s all under 30s before the masters games.

definitely starting to feel good in the legs. none of the soreness or tightness that is usually lingering in the background. the hill work really seems to be helping, too…