rogue leader...

as I begin my third season of athletics, so I begin my third training journal. this time around my circumstances are quite different, and so will be my approach to winter training. I have moved from melbourne to sydney and have less time to skip off to the track for a couple of hours. however, I have set up a home gym in the back yard that includes dumbells, a mini-trampoline and a squat rack.

one of the major obstacles that I faced last season was the emergence of shin splints. I have found that the two major activities that set the problem off are tempo running and plyometrics. to get around that problem I have bought myself a mini-tramp which I used to absorb the impact of my jumps and footfalls. this allows me to do some kind of plyometrics as well as helping me develop some form of tempo alternative that doesn’t involve slow running.

I got started with my training a few weeks ago but I had to put it on hold for a while when I had a few suspect moles scooped out of me. I am now back in action and all set to get ready for another season…

monday
circuit
tramp jumps
-2 leg landing
-1 leg landing
upper body
3kg dumbell, fast movements, no rest
-arm swings 3:20
-curls 3:10
-OH press 3:10
chin up’s 2:10
squat 30kg, 1:30

tuesday
circuit
tramp jumps
-2 leg landing
-1 leg landing
-2 legs, 10kg
upper body
3kg dumbell, fast movements, no rest
-arm swings 3:20
-curls 3:10
-OH press 3:10
chin up’s 2:10
squat 30kg, 2:30

[QUOTE=hornblower;216561] I had a few suspect moles scooped out of me.

So you will be even lighter now which should make you faster?? !!!

[quote="“stormbikes,post:5,topic:41239”]

not as fast as evan who had a whole kidney removed…

friday
warm up
-arm swings
-jogging
squats
-30kg, 3:10
-50kg, 2:10
-60kg, 2:10

nothing too strenuous. feeling pretty tired…

sunday
warm up - jogging and upper body movements
squat variations, 30kg
-squat
-full squat
-lunge
-explosive
-eccentric

a bit tight in the lower back today, but that’s because I was forced to wear a pair of shoes that didn’t suit me. in desperate need of some chiropractic attention, but I’m trying to save my pennies…

tuesday
trampoline
-tuck jumps, 3:20
-tuck jumps from ground + 10kg, 1:10
squat
-30kg, 3:6
-50kg, 3:6
-70kg, 3:3
-80kg, 1:3
full squat, 30kg, 1:10

I don’t know why, but for some reason I always like to finish off with a set of light full squats. I think it just gives my legs a nice stretch across the full ROM and that leaves them feeling nice and loose. also, it’s amazing how light 30kg feels straight after 80kg.

I’ve got a new pair of shoes for squatting in. harder sole with less padding, a little bit more of a raised instep and tighter across the middle of the foot. much better than my usual running shoes…

friday
trampoline, from ground
-pin jumps, 1:50
-tuck jumps, 1:20
-tuck jumps + 2.5kg, 1:20
-tuck jumps + 10kg, 1:20
weights circuit (fast reps, no rest)
-arm swings, 2kg, 2:50
-curls, 2kg, 2:10
-OH press, 2kg, 2:10
-chin up’s, 2:10
-squats, 30kg, 2:30

it might not look like much, but this session really hits me hard. then again, perhaps I’m just out of shape. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think this is going to work as my tempo replacement for a while. and I’m thinking it might be something for other players to try on rainy days. (stormy, I’m looking in your direction)

it occurs to me that my training is quite infrequent at the moment. unfortunately I can only do what I can when I can (at least I’m getting plenty of exercise chasing sophie around). I’ve only got a few months to whip myself into shape for the world masters games, so I’m going to have to get a wriggle on…

it happens :frowning:

saturday
warm up jog
curls - 10kg, 3:6. 15kg, 3:3
chin up’s - 3:10

not much today. tired and cold.

I noticed today that the world masters games are on 2 months earlier than I thought they were! (oops. :stuck_out_tongue: ) I’ve worked backwards from the date and now I have a semi-detailed plan for what I need to do to get in pb shape before then (dream on!). trouble is, I’ve always been great at making plans and rubbish at sticking to them!!

sunday
squats
-30kg, 1:10
-70kg, 1:3
-80kg, 1:3
-90kg, 1:3

unfortunately, I don’t have any more than 90kg to put on my shoulders at the moment, but over the next couple of weeks I’ll be looking to do 90kg for more reps. won’t be too long before I hit the track and start running again…

tuesday
trampoline, from ground
-pin jumps 1:15
-tuck jumps 1:20
-tuck jumps, 1 leg landing 1:20
-tuck jumps + 10kg 1:20
weights circuit
-oh press, 2kg, 2:10
-hanging knee raise, 2:10
squats
30kg, 2:30

had a bit of a crick in my back for most of yesterday. popped a couple of nurofen and by the evening I was fine to train. felt a slight twinge early in my squats and a little bit again this afternoon, but other than that all is well. no need to nip off to the chiro just yet…

There is a 200m on July 15 Greg

thursday
trampoline, from ground
-pin jumps 1:50
-pin jumps + 2.5kg 1:20
-pin jumps + 10kg 1:20
-tuck jumps 1:20
-tuck jumps + 2.5kg 1:20
-tuck jumps + 10kg 1:20
weights circuit
-oh press, 2kg, 2:10
-hanging knee raise, 2:10
squats
30kg, 1:30

unfortunately I can’t make it down at that date, after all. had to change my plans… :frowning:

saturday
warm up jog
squats
-30kg 1:10
-50kg 2:6
-70kg 1:6
-80kg 1:3
-90kg 1:3

I’ve been eating quite a lot lately. big, carb-based dinners, heaps of chocolate and assorted junk nibblies. I decided to weigh myself this afternoon to get an idea of how much weight I had put on since stawell. turns out I’ve lost a couple of kg’s! :eek:

getting lighter whilst getting stronger? I can get used to that. now, pass me another doughnut… :stuck_out_tongue:

tuesday
trampoline jumps from ground
-pin jumps x50
-pin jumps +5kg x20
-pin jumps +10kg x20
upper body circuit (fast reps, no rest)
-arm swings 2kg 3:50
-OH press 2kg 3:10
-curls 2kg 3:10
-chin up’s 3:10
-hanging knee raise 3:10
tramps jumps
-tuck jumps x20
-tuck jumps +5kg x20
tuck jumps +10kg x20

lower back has been a bit tight so I did an extra upper body set, split the trampoline jumps and cut out the squats…

thursday
warm up
-4x180m, 50%
top speed
-3xflying 20, 85%

had a bit of a test speed session today. I felt great in my warm up runs and the first two flying 30’s felt great. unfortunately the third one was rubbish. I’ve got a fair bit of work to do to get into condition for the masters games…

sunday
trampoline jumps
-pin jumps 1x50
-pin jumps + 5kg 1x20
squats
-70kg, 5:5

still a little tight from thursday so I kept the weight lighter but with more sets/reps…

thursday
tramp jumps
-pin jumps x50
-pin jumps +5kg x20
-pin jumps +10kg x20
weights circuit
-arm swings 2kg 1:50, 10kg 1:30
-curls 2kg 1:10, 10kg 1:5
-oh press 2kg 1:10, 10kg 1:5

saturday
tramp jumps
-pin jumps x50
-pin jumps +5kg x20
-pin jumps +10kg x20
squats
-50kg 2:6
-70kg 1:3
-80kg 1:3
-90kg 2:3

woke up on monday morning with a monster cramp in my left calf, similar to what happened to me a few times when I first started training a couple of years ago. the muscle was quite sore for several days after, so I ended up missing my tuesday session just to be safe. it’s too early on to be risking an injury.

I was recently surprised to find out that my next major race would be in late july, rather than october like I originally thought. I went into a bit of a panic and revised my preparation schedule to get me ready for it. turns out that instead of the world masters games in sydney, I was looking at the dates for the world masters athletics in finland!! :o

so the panic was unfounded?
What are pin jumps? :confused:

just a little 2 footed hop. the body stays pretty straight, hence ‘pin’. it’s a term that is usually found around swimming pools. I use it as a gentle warm up before the more vigorous ‘tuck jumps’, where my feet come up to my bum. they’re also good for strength around the ankle…