RJ's Results

he has the worst end of the stick, but here in vancouver its the same thing with winter lasting over half the year.

Charlie and Kevin Tyler have been able to have great results despite the limitations placed on them by living in an unfavorable climate. Allan Wells also comes to mind when it comes to making the most of a less than optimal training circumstance. I would look to the protocols used by these individuals…

i need that speedball. Kevin Tylers athletes have an indoor track in alberta, in british columbia we dont with the exception of kamloops.

Bold, thanks for the advice. I had done quite a bit of SE during the later parts of last winter and was actually in better shape than I am in now. Over the past couple months I’ve neglected the longer distances and am paying for it. And the aim to bring up strength, power, and flexibility now is probably a good one. I know my hip power is what’s holding me back right now. I’m pretty weak for a guy my size.

White, thank you. I am familiar with what Charlie does and semi-familiar with Allen Wells’ work, but I’ll need to look up Kevin Tyler.

I don’t know all that much about Tyler’s methods except that they are influenced by Charlie and that they are limited by the weather. I believe he trained Tyler Christopher to a very fast opener off of nothing further than 80m in training.

allen wells didnt have an indoor track at his disposal i think, did it in a very small space. youngy knows more about this then i do. All i know is you need a speedball.

When’s your next race? Plan on doing anymore 400’s?

Next race is Thursday. I’ll be doing the 100M and 400M.

what time are you aiming for in the 400m?

Anything below 54.86 like I ran last time. I would like to break into the 53s, but we’ll see. With some actual distance work I could see myself going 49s next year.

what do you mean “actual distance work”?

I mean regularly running upwards of 150-300M per rep. Earlier this winter I was doing 150s and 200s in practice and I was in better shape than I’m in now. I imagine if I bump the distances up and stick with them I’ll be good to go.

is this what you are planning on during and how would a typical week look like?

I don’t know how things will be set up yet. After the season I’m going to spend some time getting my strength up and then I’ll hit the sprints hard again.

This fall/winter I’ll be restricted to a runway where I can do 50M reps. I’ll probably start at reps of 30M and work my way out to 50M and then work my way into split reps. By the time it gets warm enough for me to run outside again I’ll be doing reps of 50+50+50+50+50 and I’ll start my way up to longer, non-split runs. And yes, I do intend to sprint more in the upcoming year. It’s just hard to do so with my facilities.

Sounds like a plan. When you say more running, how much is that?

Not sure. Probably two times per week. The plan will change as I go along, but one day will be for longer sprints (split runs) and the other will be for shorter faster distances. I still have no intention of doing CF style tempo, but I do BW mobility circuits and easy cardio stuff (walking up and down stairs) on off days.

Sweet cant wait to see the results.

Will tomorrow be your last 100m race or will you get another chance at your last meet?

I have the chance to do the 100M next meet as well, so after tomorrow I still have the opportunity to go faster.

How did the race go?