RJ's Results

the lil guy in the red edge u in the 200m bc he has been during some running and probably intensive tempo.

Are you still taking the 10:1 odds on the sub 11?

No. :smiley:

My dad nixed that bet with me too, but we’ve still got a sub 11.5 bet going for $100 on 1:1 odds. I still think I can win it.

how many more races you have?

I have two more meets.

On a similar note, I also have a better idea of what I need to work on to get better next year. I haven’t made many mistakes over the past few months, but a lot of training time was used suboptimally before then.

You don’t think those months where you were actually just doing sprints and lifting were doing a lot of good?

I know after “1 week of inno” you PR’d, but you don’t think that was simply from unloading?

I wonder what you could’ve done if you kept up the running you had been doing for a good part of the winter.

I’ll admit, that first PR was unloading, but the ones that followed later weren’t. What is surprising me is that I’m much weaker than last year especially through the quads and I’m putting up much better times. At this point, I think the sprinting is going well but I’m flat out just not strong enough to go much faster over <100M for my weight. I mean, you’re a hell of a lot stronger than I am and I outweigh you by 35 lbs.

The upside is that my reactivity is way up (I can get 3" higher from a DJ than a CMJ) and that once strength is added I’ll be flying. Also, for next year I need to focus more on longer distances. I was doing well in that regard earlier this winter but neglected it over the past couple of months.

I like the curve running, it’s like you just started walking after 100m

I split like 11.8-12 and ran sub 24… but it was one of the greatest psychological fights i had to take with my mind

Get ready for next week !

Yeah, it felt like I just started walking too. :smiley:

I have no clue what happened, but I’ve never died that badly before. It felt like I was in the last 50M of a 400M.

If anything though, all of this overdistance work should be building me some “strength” for my upcoming 100s. Next week is going to rock.

You should simply just Race yourself into shape - do as many races as you can. Surely you can do more than just 2 more meets??

Try to make all meet conditions as consistent as possible. Instead of going from 300mg caffeine to nothing, try a more moderate and timely dose.

No worries about the 50m. The 200m right before will totally ruin that for anyone. Who the hell did this meet schedule:) ?

i agree the 200m will make a diff to the 50m results but its not like he ran a 400 or 800m before and im sure he wouldnt have ran any better then 6.4-6.5. This is where the tempo training takes over.

Bold, up here in Alaska there isn’t much track interest and we get 4 meets per year. There are plenty of meets for the distance and cross country guys, but not much for actual track and field.

Mortac, I meant to just reduce the dose, but my caffeine pills weren’t in my bag like I thought they were. And yeah, the 200M killed my 50M. :frowning:

tamfb, for an athlete in as poor of condition as myself, the 200M made a huge difference to the 50M. I admit, I’m in poor condition but that’s because I’ve neglected anything over 110M for months.

RJ i feel we are going in circles bc one min its ur acc next ur top speed then ur conditioning, maybe if u add more running to the programs all of ur issues would go away. How can you blame ur conditioning when you ran 54sec 400 which was 3sec pr also last week you said ur strength was acc, how can that change in less then one week.

My strength has always been my accel, but my accel (especially 0-10M) is relatively much weaker than it was last year when I was much stronger. Conditioning has always been bad, but it’s better than it was last year. And I have nothing to gauge my top speed against.

I honestly think I’m in fine condition for the 100M (and only the 100M) at the moment and what’s holding me back is power. All fast sprinters are powerful and with my structure I need to get even more so in order to go faster.

Well I disagree with most of what you just said, but I think at this time you need to go out and just run fast and stop making excuses. You had over 1year to analyze everything and now its time to run fast, you don’t have time to be making excuses and over analyzing everything now!!

Also regarding the power commment, i agree that you need to get stronger bc you are weak ass a kitten but this doesnt mean you have to drop all sprints just to get stronger, I increased my squat over 50lbs while performing 400m+ of speed work twice a week.

I’m not making excuses. I’m trying to run and am just responding to you.

It must be darn hard to get the motivation to train properly for the 100m if there is such limited racing schedule.

Any chance in the future to move to a warmer climate and more Track n field friendly place?

Haha, limited meets aren’t even the half of it. :smiley:

I train alone, out of my garage, with equipment I built. During the winter (which lasts 7-8 months up here) I train on the jogging track around an ice rink or pay $15-20 (gas included) to use the indoor 400M track for one session. For a poor college student, $20 is a lot to spare for one day of training.

But really, I don’t think it affects my motivation at all. If anything, it makes me want to do better and it forces me to be inventive with what I’ve got available.

As for moving to a warmer climate, I’ll more than likely be moving to Arizona in 2 years after I get my degree. The climate will be much more conducive to sprint training and I aim to take advantage of it then.

Holy cow man, thats a long winter.

Best advice, i guess is Learn as much as you possibly can this next 2yrs and hit the ground running when you move.

in the mean time, work on what you can. Strength / power / flexiblity can shoot right up.

Starts can be perfected

Perhaps to do tempo, even if not running due to the cold, perhaps to act as a Flushing means use a indoor bike or rowing machine as well as doing plenty of Med ball circuits??

Just before season starts and weather warms up, get stuck into the Speed endurance you missed out on during winter. Then when your limited races start, your already up front ready to run fast and your not relying on races to develop your speed endurance - which is not what you really want living where you do with 4-5races to get fit from.

You want to be fit right from race one - that way, say the winds are wrong, or weather in general, you not relying on your last race to be the best. You will be in shape for EVERY race to be fast.

Basically, i would expect, with the right plan in place for next year, the fastest race this season will be your slowest race next season.

Find a proven system of training to get FAST, and follow it. Avoid chopping and changing from one coachs system to another, adding this from this coach and that from that coach. Get a plan, learn it 1st, then follow it and stick to it. Just be sure its a plan that produces results time and time again.