Return to weights/sprinting

Hi guys,

I’m contemplating a return to track after a 2 and a half year absence. I’m almost 26 - I don’t have any big competitive goals - I guess I just miss the intensity and endorphins!! Team sports in the meantime haven’t been able to ‘fill the gap’!

My question (apologies if I’m posting in the wrong forum, I’m new to the site!) is how should I go about it?

weights-wise - I always liked the power clean (and have very good technique) and have started back lifting - what kind of rep/set scheme should I be going for at this early stage of return and how should I periodise it? I’m only going to add in bench press and squat to this regime - how should I combine these exercises?

Track/Running wise - should I keep it strictly tempo for a few weeks or introduce speed straight away??? How many sessions should I be looking at. While I’m not completely out of shape, I’ve put on weight being away from track - I’m currently 88kg and I was 80kg when in top shape (2005). I guess there would have been a natural increase in weight anyway (my frame is bigger than it was) but there’s definitely some unwanted excess there!!!

I’ve been doing some rowing tempo sessions to help with the weight-loss/cardio - I do 25mins - 5min lead in at 25spm/then 30sec@ 37+strokes followed by 1 min@28 strokes+ for 20 mins/5 min warm down at 20spm. How does that sound - is it relevant/specific?

I guess I’m just looking for some guidelines here guys - I won’t be training under a coach anymore - just training on my own so any help you guys could give me would be fantastic.

Much appreciated

the three lifts you mention sounds good, pc,bs,bp and you could probably add a chinup and rdl. at this early stage i would keep all ol’s 1-3 rep range at all times and for the bp and squat it would depend where you are but most likely in the 5-8 rep range (6x5) for right now. the first 2weeks i would stick with tempo runs and general fitness circuits esp since you have been off for some time, then you could add some hill work into the program.

what are your goals?
are you planning any races if so when?

thanks for the advice tamfb - do you think the rowing I mentioned is sufficient in terms of tempo work?

my goals right now are just to build back up to 5-6 sessions a week slowly and injury free, and to Improve my general fitness and body composition to a point where I actually start to look and ‘feel’ like an athlete again!

Competition-wise ; I’m going to play it by ear and take it as it comes. My pb’s were 11.0, 22.2 and 51; if I think that I can get back to that kind of shape then sure I’ll enter a few comps - not the end of the world if I don’t though.

What do you think the chances are of being able to get back to pre ‘retirement’ (!!) shape?? I’m 26 now - pb’s are from when I was 20/21.

yes i think the rowing is ok, tempo work is like chicken soup. I have no doubt you can get back to your pre retirement numbers with a solid plan. let me know if you need more help.

thanks again for the advice bro!