Rest weeks with vertical integration

The vertical integration slide show a cycle of 12 weeks of length, and it has been said that recovery is typically done in a 3+1 format. However, this is not really reflected in this slide, or in many other places (like the 400m preparation downloads). Are you supposed to factor these in, in effect prolonging the cycles with 25% or just reduce the weeks in the template where appropriate and stay with their length?

It really depends on athlete level and point in the season (SPP more important than GPP). the higher the performance standard, the more you need to factor in the recovery weeks.

Well, assume an athlete in full swing of the training season, with a real need for a 3 + 1, or 3+0.5 recovery schedule. Would you extend the plan from 12 to 15 weeks, or just drop the intensity in the training plan for every fourth week?

I feel that I understand the periodization proposed now from the SPP download, but how to work the recovery in is still not clear to me. Any help would be appreciated!

Also, I have found myself that taking five days off completely gives me the best results (at least from a mental perspective, as someone that does not have the luxury of being a full-time athlete). How would that factor into the choice of setup of recovery for the SPP period?