Reps

Charlie(and others with an explanation)
In CFTS, in the example lifting programs you show, your athletes pre comp lifting rep ranges are in the 10 rep range. During comp they are in the 1-5 range(understandable). I am curious why they lifted in the 10 rep range? Is this not bodybuilding reps, and not a strength developing nor a strength maintainer? As well it shows when Ben had his injury that he lifted in the 10 rep range to maintain his CNS pool. I do not understand this?

as well looking back through the book i notice med balls are never shown being performed on high intensity days, with a heavier ball and a more explosive movement(ie over head throws). Why is this? Is it that it would be too much competition with sprinting and plyo/power speed drills as a RFD stimulus? Thanks again

I see no reason to be afraid to go out to 10s at times with sprinters, though this is more of a concern for sports without Special Endurance componants (resulting in a more steep pyramid to 1RM.) They’re never there for long.
If you think in terms of a pyramid with a broader base with sprinters, why would you limit yourself to the numbers of other non-SE athletes?

A lot of the heavier med-ball work is done in the GPP, where accel stresses, while present, are not so intense. When you increase the CNS stress of the sprints and weights EOD, you must reduce te CNS load on the alternate days.

having said that, i felt that trying to keep some of the accel drills in with the med ball helps keep in contace with low positions, not always used in the track accel sessions (e.g, for keeping touch with blocks); the med ball drills don’t have to be many…

could you see this working?

Well there are two multipliers of CNS stress, vol and int. You have some room to manouvre but be conservative