Rep. Numbers for Hamstrings (RDL'S)

Do you train alone at the gym? Why not ask for a “spot”? Surely you need this for other activities. Once a few people try it, you’ll have company.

That’s not really going to do the same thing.

RDLs can go much heavier, but, if the good mornings are giving you great results, why change?

I have had good results, but if something is better I have time to change right now. And if it doesn’t work I could go back. Last year you recommended good mornings over SDLs, so i was suprised that you haven’t mentioned them in this thread.

Good mornings are a great foundational exercise, but I have to be careful not to throw too many comments out there. Look how quickly you want to add or change what’s working now! If you are still progressing in all aspects of your training, I’d leave well-enough alone, but, when you begin to plateau, it’s time for a re-analysis, based on your individual situation.

Thats a good point. Not to change the topic of the thread, but would you recommend 6 reps for good mornings also then? I’ve been doing 3 x 10 @ 135 lbs.

How’s Remi doing this drill? Seems like the rope is behind Remi.
Is Chambers pulling weight/ It looks like Remi is keepin the rope from droppin

Actually, i train at my own “gym” in my basement, so no spots either. :o

You’re not making it easy for him Prophet!

He’s just keeping the ropes focused back to one point

Sometimes i train at home too, and it´s very simple to do exercises for Hams.
If you don´t have the boxes ( horses ), you could take a “table” a one taller than your legs, so, lie your uper body over this table and let the legs poised…
If the table is suficient weighted, you won´t need a partner.
I have a 4 feet tall marble table that serve perfectly to my hyper/reverse hypers works ( 8x10 reps ).

I’d keep the numbers higher for good mornings because of the potential for overload at higher weights and lower numbers.

Has anyone heard of pull throughs? It can be done in place of reverse hyper. It can be used with the low pulley cable or “rubber bands” attached to something at the bottom and you grab them between the legs and pull it through, almost like good morning or RDL. A warning: you’ll get wierd looks from other people. It looks like you’re having “air” sex…

And am planning on using them, as I’ll be sans a lot of equipment shortly, put will have a cable station.

Comments on this exercise?

I mainly do it at high reps at the end of workouts. Low weights for high reps/2-3 sets. Nothing special. It’s just to bring up the work capacity. I use westside methods mixed with charlie’s speed training.

What about doing “reverse hypers” with a cable? Standing, facing the cable stack, with the ankle attachment.

Pull Throughs can be a very effective exercise. Another variation of an RDL. It can be done straight leg or bent. I have had athletes from many sports use this exercise. Even though I do get alot of questions about why we have to do such a strange exercise.

Strange exercise! ha ha :smiley: I had this HS soccer player do it for the first time this morning. He looked confused doing it. It’s kind of amusing when you watch someone do it for the first time.

Another variation is to do hip extension with the cable attached just above the ankle whilst facing the stack. Excellent for developing the hams/gluts/adductor m and b. If you have never done it before then work out percentages according to bodyweight. Very effective. Higher reps seem to be the best way. The action is looks like the front side mechanics when sprinting. Very effective. If you pause between reps of say 2-8 secs ( the heavier the weight the longer the pause) it helps you to generate the same amount of intensity on the last reps as in your first. 8-15 reps are very effective. The pause between reps occurs when the leg is fully extended with the sole of your foot making contact with the ground.

Cable hip flexors (though not related to the thread) I think must be mentioned because they are coupled with cable hip extension work. Again same pause range between reps same rep range BUT you calculate according to the weight of 1 leg. Since the hip flexors accelerate the leg forward in the knee drive phase, they can be made stronger initially by calculating percentages of weights accoring to the weight of one leg. Anthropometrically each leg accounts for 15-16%( I am mindful that strength trained athletes may have even larger proportions of weight accounted for in the lower extremes) of your total bodyweight. Once you have become stronger and more powerful in, you can break out of this 15-16% range.

When you do both exercises you must have perfect posture. If your abs are not up to scratch you will have to tense them or if you can handle it hold your breath during each rep and breath during the pause. These exercises show how important the abs are in stbilising during hip extension flexion respectively.

are these the ‘kickbacks’ that Dazed referred to previously?