re-entry; from hamstring injury

4th day:
seems like the heat wrap did some good; felt pretty good in am.

went to grass field.
hot day, warm up 800m, stretch,

• Joe was in a bad mood today; dont exactly know why. He let the emotions raise his intensity on the reps;
    1.57 secs per 10m for about 40 reps. (previous days we were at 1.87 to 2 sec. per 10m rep)

I told him to watch out for consequences, and due to med. pain he voluntarily shut it down after 5 sets.
-ice
-bcaas
-etc.

will heat again tonite.
I think we should probably take the day off tomorrow; massage. not sure: comments?

You shoud prob ice right after practice, then heat at night.

Charlie, do you know BIOFREEZE? (www.biofreeze.com)
I’ve used it, very powerful for pain management.

Charlie -

Could heat rub be used during training to help loosen up a chronically tight muscle?

jus checking in-
took the day off yesterday.
Joe felt good today.

Did the usual 800m grass jog.
light stretch
3x10x10m;avg 1.85sec.
5x 12.5m; avg,2.25 sec.

he didnt get winded til 7th set. felt tightness and dull ache; shut it down after 8th.

3x to depletion pushups

ice

1. what is the pain threshold; indicators; for shut down? is there a degree of ache that can and should be tolerated?

2. If we keep this up I wonder how is the transition to sprint event execution, choice of events, number of events per week?
    consideration: 1 week from now or 2;or 3.

sunday 3/27 - 6.5 weeks since inj.
checkin in;
run rehab;
we are at end of 8x 12.5m x10 .
should we go up in distance to 15m, then 17.5 or 20?

-is there any consideration for low intensity at greater distance; 20-25m (75% pace) accels, or at that time should we be progressed by then to getting the intensity up closer to normal short speed - 95%?

and at that point should we jump to reg. sched;
day:short
day:tempo
day:spec end/speed end

or am I missing something in the transition?

monday: 3/28
copying last post and adding something:

"sunday 3/27 - 6.5 weeks since inj.
checkin in;
run rehab;
we are at end of 8x 12.5m x10 .
should we go up in distance to 15m, then 17.5 or 20?

-is there any consideration for low intensity at greater distance; 20-25m (75% pace) accels, or at that time should we be progressed by then to getting the intensity up closer to normal short speed - 95%?

and at that point should we jump to reg. sched;
day:short
day:tempo
day:spec end/speed end

or am I missing something in the transition?

How about 300m spe end… ?
I am told this is because it is more muscular, or distributes the stress less intensely on hams than a short speed would do…

we have practice tody and I am considering inserting a 300 at 85-90%.

CF , anyone?

josedad,
Do you have access to EMS? The compex unit has an active recovery mode that works well for injury management of muscles. I have used it on a couple of injured backs with positive results.

Try the active recovery setting then put ben gay on the area afterwards.

To set any distance of training you need at this point, set a cone atthe distance the athlete can comfortably accelerate to and maintain it. For example, if you can accel for 20m and maintain that speed, you’ll record a very fast (special End quality) 300m.

thanks Charlie,
running rehab advice so far:

• put off sprint intensity temporarily
  • work hard, but “around” the injury.
    the suggested workouts; maintaining strength and conditioning as close to sprinting as possible; concurrently healing the injury with time; allowing for gradual increase in intensity - as the leg responds.

this week:
extensive warm ups (and drills)
light stretch
4-5x (15mx10) standing start (low intensity)
3x 100m 30sec rest, accel and maintain (best intensity) (increase to 2x120m, 2x150m).
upper body: weights/pushups
stretch
ice

we will skip meet this week but will target comp next 4 weekends.
-how should we limit choice of events?
we want :wink: to qualify for 100/400/200 over this period; 11.1/ 53/ 23.

As discussed with info- I’ll be glad to discuss this in the detail you want through a consultation

I am very interested in checking out all what is involved in consultation with you.
How do I go about it?
I have PM’d Rupert, asking about details of
but havent gotten anything back.
I had also asked about possible email consult. I seem to mentaly get things down better in writing… just wondering. If phone consult is best option, that’s fine too.
Mahalo

Phone consult is fastest- post your E-mail address here and I’ll contact you (I don’t know what’s gone wrong)

no worries, Rupert has promptly gotten in touch with me last night.
As I learn the protocol we will move ahead.
mahalo

fri 4/1
7.5 weeks from inj.
will consult CF re:training sched. tomorrow.
hopefully get ready for a race or two next friday’s meet.

-we did some more standing strts this week and a few days we threw in some 3x100m accel/maintain speeed; 13.5 -14 sec.per rep. 1-2 min. rest. in flats, on grass.
so that was about 80% effort.

chiro today:
tight rt.semitendinosis due to tight rt.latisimus (pulling on hip) due to low neck nerve root compression due to head forward, shoulder forward posture.

• so if you have poor posture, you sprinters, hunch forward of the center of gravity, the effects go beyond tension in neck and shoulders.
  • chiro believes this was a factor in the original injury pattern.
    -he also reminded me that a muscle strain takes about 2-4weeks for initial healing, but even though we are 8 weeks from inj. it is the adhesions that are the weakest link.

just an update;In regard to my quest for hamstring inj re-entry I went to the source (CF-custom training consult.) and Joe did a 400m 52.49h, on dirt, swirling wind in his first and only race sofar this season. He qualified for states. We are :slight_smile: . “da kine!”
We continue to workout for the conference finals and states; we have 5weeks left in our season; will be doing the 200 soon.
Hope to break the state record in 400 ; 48.66fat.
Joe has the record 200 and we might challenge that too.