re-entry; from hamstring injury

Anyone care to suggest a basic re-entry running sched. for sprinter 2 weeks after grade 2 ham. injury?

this from sportsinjuryclinic.net :
"As soon as you can do so without pain, begin gentle jogging. Over a period of two weeks gradually increase the duration and speed of the runs.
When you can run for 40 minutes with no problems begin speed work. An example session would be 10 x 60m striding at 50% effort. Two or three days later, 10 x 60m at 70% effort.
Remember to increase slowly and continue stretching, strengthening and sports massage throughout and beyond the rehabilitation process. "

any comments/suggestions?

Pain is always the guide in such a situation. What type of recovery has occured to this point?

I don’t think its a good idea to be having your sprinter jog for 40 minutes (assuming they mean slow, continuous jogging). I certianly wouldn’t support that for training or as a “rehab” modality.

I agree - 40’ is a bit long for a 100m/200m sprinter. My athlete has started with jogging - without pain! - and he can manage at this stage to do about 20’ - 30’. (We do walk the bends, and “stride” (not fast) the straights OR 600, 500, 400, 300, 200, 100 - in 100’s turn-around in the straight, e.g.)

He is however, DEFINITELY not ready for speedwork. Although his recovery was very fast, he still has pain some days - thus not complete recovery yet.

Patience, patience!!!

When would a sprinter ever jog for 40 min? If they waited for anyone I ever trained to do that, they might be waiting for a long time. A typical injury (grade 1 or 2 strain) will allow you to start into modified, one leg drills after 3 days. There are discussions on this topic in the CFTS, the forum review and in the site archives.

I guess this fprm of recovery from injury isnt as popular as less is known about it. There isnt as much knwoledge to implement it properly.

More is known (by coaches and therpaists) about the usual way of recovery:
Jog, till pain free
Strides, till pain free
Drills…Fast Runs…Sprints etc.

Maybe not optimal but easily administered, has a kinda built in safety mechanism, and security in the fact that it is the way it is usually done for years.

Your approach was originally developed by the East germans???

My way was shown to me by Gerrard Mach, formerly the head coach of Poland, who became the Canadian head coach. The “go away and jog till time cures all” approach will never address the issue of adhesions, but at least is better than the cure provided by the “Cybex jockeys”.

I have had a hamstring injury and I don’t know what grade it is. Sorry. But my coach before has told me that I can do leg curls for some recovery. I believe this but I don’t know if it is the truth so I am asking. I’ve noticed on this website that it said not to do hamstring curls and do other exercises about the him like reverse leg press and deadlift. Only this is when I was doing heavy leg curls I never had a hamstring problem. Now I am having them all the time.

thoughts?

You can do ham curls, they just aren’t the answer to injury problems. Has anything else changed? Speed? Training? Other weights?
Usually when you “have them all the time”, it is the same one (either or both legs) with extention injuries due to adhesions that must be broken up by ART or some other hands-on therapy.

Charlie, did what you said and saw your recomend for low intensity 10m reps from dead start. 2x 10x10.
what are the one leg drills (didnt see that)?
mahalo.

Went to chiro today. Ham good and smooth, hip rotated a bit.
He said that tone from tight latisimus (due to nerve compression in cerv. vert. resulting from head forward posture) could have pulled hip on one side, causing tone in ham to begin with.

I see how ART can address all those imbalances… a lot to inventory and deal with.
Treatment and patient involvment in cure and prevention — posture, stretch, everything from a to z points to commitment by sprinter.

Sorry, we don’t have the one leg drills on film yet, but basically you raise up the good leg on the drills and leave the injured leg down throughout the drills at first, then add two leg with low knee action building to full normal drills basically as able. During the early drills phase keep the ham wrapped with a tensor for additional support (usually first week or so).

Looks like these drills work the recovering ham. Dare I ask, being a novice, what are the drills?

You can see the regular, two leg version of the drills (basically Askips, running As) on any of the videos, though I know they’re named in the GPP DVD

mahalo Charlie,
I dont have the vids… my bad, couldnt get them in time this season,
-and looks like this may be Joe’s and mine’s second and last season in training since he isnt motivated to take his talent to the next level. yet anyway. damn. hoping he does well enough this season get him motivated to go to a junior college stateside.
ever seen a teen with natural talent willing to ignore it?
-if for any reason I get to coach more, will definitely get ahold of training vids.
I know there is a description of Askips running A’s somewhere though.

There are a number of threads on injury rehab in the archives here

Nothing has changed really. I have been off for about two months and I have been getting massage and doing drills in the pool. Everytime I try to go to the track though I seem to feel good and then my hamstring starts tighting up in different places and then it begins to hurt again. I just take another week off everytime this happens but my situation dosen’t seem to change.

thoughts

I suspect you still have adhesions, so laying off will not solve the problem. See if you can get ART where you are.

-if you read all the threads this is a somewhat complex and mysterious injury. in your case, you have done the resting, but its more than that. check the threads and especialy look to ART - active release therapy.(you are getting massage - can you get sports injury therapy? - are you saying you got art?)

Charlie, thank you very much for reminding me about the “basics” of sprinting! One tends to forget that you are working with SPEED - even when the athlete has an injury.

Would someone please help me - it is very difficult to look for something in an e-book, if you do not exactly know where to go. Where in CFTS (page?) and the Forum Review (page)?

I will start tomorrow with the rhythm exercises - will keep you updated.

I don’t have the money for these right now so I was just asking what else can I do. I know you said just resting will not do it so I just wanted to know what are the cheap things I could do to recover.

Thank you

You can try to break up adhesions with a hard ball or rolling pin applied to the hams- but no guarantees.