Randy Barnes Bench Press Video

Thanks James and much respect to you young fella.

Coach H? That’s funny. I’m 5-10 185 and Coach H is about twice that. As a strength coach I had the opportunity to sit with Coach H seven years ago. He was exceptional in his hospitality and more than generous with his time. I know he is every bit the same now.

As a football coach, watching Coach X on TV you see the great respect that his players have for him. And his rants at Elite are funny.

62 - well, an NFL vet from the trenches, and you’ve read his posts at Elite. Exceptional. I often wonder if he posts here at CF and what his code-name is?

Verkhoshansky - I first read about him 25 years ago. He and Charlie are the real gurus. Not these other hype-artists out there promoting themselves.

Darkside - I have seen your picture at your website James. You have the size. Now, do you have the Harley? I’ll stick with my pick-up truck.

It’s good to see young coaches like you realize the truth when it comes to training. Maybe someday all the non-pulley machines in the world will be rusting at the bottom of the ocean and the coaches that preach their use will be floating in a raft above them (no raft for the HIT guys, just life-preservers). We can only hope!

Thanks again for the compliment and if you can go to Vancouver do it. A very pretty place. I’m a couple of thousand miles from there, but do need to find some time away from work to attend a Charlie seminar in the east.

Football Coach

Football Coach, great words.

Do I have a Harley…

93 Chopped Heritage Softail, flat black, 18inch ape hangers, 63.5mm inverted Spike front end on 3degree triple trees, 21x3.5 80spoke chrome/stainless front wheel, stretch tank no dash with custom leather strap down the center, custom speedo mounted on front brake, Mikuni carb, Thunderheader pipe, 1340cc bored with cam,two inch extended Fat boy rear fender, custom seat, 4inch extended forward controls, PM vented disc rear wheel, chain drive, side mounted Maltese cross tag light, chrome front end/bars, carb cover, point cover, primary inner/outer, swing arm, oil tank,rear wheel inner splash guard.

Yes, I’m feelin the flow. F*&% The Factory

Email me and I’ll send you photos.

James,

Holy crap. I’ll print this off and show it to my clients. Alot of them have Harleys. They can explain what the hell you just wrote. I drive a pick-up truck. Let me describe it …

Big. Black. Goes like stink. Smells like stink. Grass and mud. Lots of crap in the back … mud … 10-12 pairs of sneakers and cleats … mud … hats, visors, coaching gear … mud … footballs … mud … scouting reports and gameplans … mud … mud …

Football Coach
P.S. good thing my girlfriend grew up on a cattle farm (although she does roll her eyes a little when she gets in the truck) I’m thinking I might need a canary like the miners used to have. When the canary passes out, everyone out of the truck.

Your truck sounds like the Jeep that I bomb around it. 85CJ7, black, 33in BFG’s, no wipers, no heat, no visors, lots of dirt, my wife HATES it.LOL

Spare the canary, and use a HIT advocate.LOL

Actually my truck is a beauty, 2004 Chevy Z71. But it is still full of athletic stuff and mud. The Jeep you have reminds me of an old beater I had in university. 4-door shit-brown Dodge Dart with a big stinkin V8. Got about 2 miles to the gallon. All you could smell was leaking fuel and burning oil. Could only start it by jamming open the butterfly in the carbureter. Windows wouldn’t go up (a problem in Canada). Drifts of snow would pile up on the seats. Ah, good memories.

Your wife doesn’t like the Jeep? Women, tough to figure them out. They just don’t appreciate true Americana.

Use a HIT guy instead of a canary. LOL. Hey, when the HIT guys are used up we could use IDEA certified personal trainers.

Football Coach, this exchange is really great.LOL

What does the bulk of your profession consist of these days? Mostly private/contract coaching?

James,

I have a private gym. The age of my clients ranges from 35-60. All are businessmen. All are athletic and many continue to play sports, mainly hockey (it is Canada). I teach them everything I teach competitive athletes including squats with chains. They love it.

I will also be lending my expertise and experience to the local university football team where I coached for 10 years from 1982-1991. However, my time is limited so it will be as an advisor. They have a former player Jason, who now plays in the CFL who will be coming back to be in the trenches with the team. He is great with the players, wants to learn, studies hard and will be a prime candidate for position coach/strength coach when his pro days are done.

I also help at the pro level. (different team than Jason’s)

But, 90% of what I do is in my own gym.

Charlie … I would like to start a thread titled “Making Money Coaching” describing what I do. You know there a number of coaches out there that have to work at a civilian job to make a living because they can’t do it coaching. Perhaps my approach may give them ideas and hopefully others can add to the thread. What category should I put it under?

Thanks,
Football Coach

Football Coach, this is a great idea. Just last week I put in for personal liability insurance so that I may work/contract privately. I have converted my garage into a small gym (completely EFS equipped) in which I will work with athletes. Once I get going I plan to convert a small warehouse space and go from there.

I recommend that you just start a new thread where ever you feel appropriate, just in case Charlie misses this.

Hi James,

Number 2 suggested putting it under Debates. I will be doing that soon.

Great idea with the garage and EFS equipped.

Football Coach

Football Coach where are you located?

Football Coach,

As I young coach starting out, I would find this type of information invaluable.

I look forward to hearing your advice.

James, I have a 20 x 20 home gym as well in my converted garage. Perhaps we can share business ideas. I’ve had it up and running for several years. I got tired going to other people’s homes/gyms on their time. Now they come to me.

A book is nearly completed on how to develop a professional training business out of your home.

In regards to the Randy Barnes video. Nobody gets that souped-up for a 365 bench press!
Whatever it is, by his reaction and his spotters it had to be a PB.

Anyone know what color bands he used on his acceleration day?

Charlie, how do I contact you with a personal message?