Racing Flats?

Hey all,

I’ve done a search and looked at the relevant threads but I still don’t think my question was answered. Anyway what do you think about doing sprint work (say 6x200m) in racing flats?

Has anyone had experience with these shoes (for example the Nike Waffle) in sprinting?

What other non-spikes do you guys use in sprint work?

I don’t think I would do anything other than warming up in waffles. I personally wear Nike Waffle Racers through the early stages of my warmup and switch to spikes once I start doing build ups.

I don’t know what it is, but I feel much faster when I put spikes on. With waffles it feels like I stick to the ground.

A word of caution though, if you have weak feet, or foot problems in general, training in waffles might be okay, as spikes could put too much stress on the feet. I wear waffles all the time (instead of regular shoes) so my feet are fairly strong.

Just my opinion.

I use the Mayfly for tempo, but if you are going to do real sprint work (SE or special endurance), the lack of spikes is going to cost you time in the curves–and you’ll even wonder what your workout times even mean in terms of race performances.

A better choice for higher volume sprinting (say reps > 150) would be middle distance spikes. These have heel cushioning that sprint spikes don’t, but you won’t lose so much in the curves.

i use normal running shoes and save the spikes for race day.