Question Regarding Tempo Work

Everything you do in your day gets added into your training volume like it or not.

I do not think people understand this very simple idea about training. What you do before training and what you do after training will effect your training.

We can’t just apply a workout without having a complete picture of what other things are going on for you or your athletes.

I read comments on Instagram or here or anywhere and oddly it does not resemble what I have witnessed for decades at the gym or at the track and I have spent a good portion of my life in these places.

We want to train efficiently and we want efficient recovery and I do not want to spend hours and hours everyday training. I don’t want to waste my time or others time.

EVERYTHING you do in your day gets added into training. If you cut the lawn, if you do chores at home and if you are raising children. I know most of the men on this site likely don’t do all the chores ( ouch right? ) but one does not just keep adding into the training without considering what is your work and how do you spend your time and energy OUTSIDE of training.

It’s tough coaching yourself unless you’ve had enough coaching in the past that has been a high enough level to understand what you are doing without having someone watch.

If you have more specific questions message me via info not PM as I find it annoying. I will help answer your questions.

I’m trying to avoid axle deadlifts right now. Even if I use straps, my hand problem gets worse with any reasonable weight.
Reverse lunges are fine, same with pretty much any unilateral leg exercises. Difficult to load heavy enough without a rack though which is why I selected Rear foot elevated split squats (I raise the front foot too for extra ROM)

What I should do is make an attachment for my farmers handles which converts them into a frame. Then I can do Trap Bar Deads.

Hi Angela, thank you, lots of info here.

I’m by no means a masters athlete, only 31. Athleticism is still there but injuries make it difficult for me to play much competitive lacrosse anymore so my training has less direction than it use to.

When you do butt kicks, do you point your knees straight down for a quad stretch or allow them to come forward in a more natural running motion?

What does “tripling over 100m” mean?

I like the idea of starting with 6 x 100m with 100m walk back recovery. Less than half the volume and longer breaks between sets compared to what I did that first workout. Easy to build up from there and add ab work, calisthenics, etc throughout the workout.

Not to go off-topic from this thread but how much volume do you recommend for speed work?
All my sessions this month have been between 240m-320m total distance (sticking between 10m-40m with full recovery so far).

I prefer db rev lunges 60-110lbs for sets 5-8 reps.

Not knowing much about your training the speed volume looks ok. If you have access to a timing system I would use it for your speed sessions - it’s a game changer esp when training alone.

I probably do too, they’re just a bit easier though and require more weight.
Yesterday did 3x5 per leg with 2x65 dumbbells and a 20 chain. That’s the heaviest my dumbbells go until I buy more 2.5s, 5s, 10s, and 25s.

No access to a timing system, have to go by feel.

I’m headed to the track right now for testing day (timed 3pt 30, slj, triple jump). Timing systems are fairly cheap these days.

Jawku speed looks like a cheap option

I have a 10% discount code if you decide to purchase.

All sold out right now but I’ll consider it thanks

Yep, I bought 5 when they reloaded a couple weeks ago.

Last night I did 6 x 100 tempo with (10 pushups + 20 abs + 100m walk) between each run.
This was much better. Refreshing and leaves lots of room for progression.
It was also under an hour door to door so I can see myself doing this twice per week.

When Charlie did the pushups/abs the 100m run was the actual recovery. Example 10 pushups - slow 100m run - 25abs - slow 100m run is another way to bring down the intensity. Another early option I like is the med ball tempo I usually use this option with my ol/dl - toss the med ball - run and toss again.

How do you tell your guys to limit their exertion on the throws? Assuming you’re going for a low intensity day.

I could have done way more calisthenics but I didn’t want any pump to take away from running form. Should I not be worrying about that?

1: The overall volume of work usually force a decrease in intensity.
2: The type of throws.
3: Loading/fatigue from previous day usually force a decrease in intensity.
4: Explain to them the purpose of the training session and what you are looking for from an effort standpoint.

If you watch the gpp dvd and see how Angie is performing the throws it’s very easy to coach and a great workout!!!

I’m going to make myself a few medicine balls.

Back in stock now.
What’s that promo code?

Constant injuries indicate something. The question might be what do constant injuries indicate?

-training without progression or method or method and progression is not working

-Why are the progressions not working? Why are you training without method?

-Diet and lifestyle has more to do with training than most athletes or non athletes believe ( no -fing kidding!)

• bad sleep, not enough sleep, are you on your feet all day or sitting at a desk all day/ how to you make an income or support yourself = what we do all day or all night will intimately effect our training and lack of results

• it’s pointless to recommend a volume of speed work at this point isn’t it?

These aren’t training related injuries, they’re competition (lacrosse) … tears, broken bones, dislocations, etc

LSTS - i think it’s 10% discount 200 to $180.