Question for high school coaches.

Do any of you have a general rule for linking an athletes performance with days tapering?

For instance below 12.0 needs five days and below 11.0 needs seven days. (this was just a wild guess example)

Oh ok, thanks. I didn’t understand it was just the two girls in the first post.

Pete

There was something similar asked about this.

It would seem from reading this forum, I know I will told if I am wrong, that the 10 day taper is really for high end sprinters, and the lower the standard (time) the less the CNS is affected by the training, and therefore a reduced number of days are required for the taper.

But would you necessarily taper them at 12 seconds anyway?

Generally, the lower the performance level, the shorter the required taper period.

Thanks.

DMA,
I was just taking a guess, but if it was a five day taper for a 12.0 guy meaning day five was hard then there were two days off then two days before was a little easier I think that would probably reasonable.

Charlie,
I understand, I was just wondering if any of the high school coaches have a general guide for this time and above equals this long a taper.

the question is–do high school coaches know what a taper is rather than its uses ina a class-room…

Originally posted by pete
Do any of you have a general rule for linking an athletes performance with days tapering?

For instance below 12.0 needs five days and below 11.0 needs seven days. (this was just a wild guess example)

We typically plan this period of the season with the 10-day model. However, since utilizing this approach, it has always been modified to reflect changes with the athlete and/or facility.

An example of this is with our leading female athletes. A 12.94/12.88 into - 1+ mps wind/48 deg. temps in a league meet on Tuesday, followed by a make-up dual competition on Thursday that was not planned for. In addition, there are some physical ills that are becoming to take hold. Active remedial work w. static relay exchanges yesterday.

We will take 2 days off, with some soft tissue treatment on the second day. Alactic speed/lower body strength work on Monday (weather permitting), speed endurance/tempo on Tuesday.

After a BIG rest day w. massage on Wednesday, alactic speed work on Thursday, followed by the prom Friday night. On Saturday (state class), pray for a post prom night 12.65 in predicted 60+ temps!

This is not what we originally planned for with our tapering period! You know, best laid plans and all…

Haha, thanks.

So no matter how slow your athletes are you usually do ten days? Do you have any above 11 males?

Originally posted by pete
Haha, thanks.

So no matter how slow your athletes are you usually do ten days? Do you have any above 11 males?

Again, only 2 athletes fall into this category. And both are 12.1 or better sprinters with the right conditions.

I am not familiar with what the males work loading is, or even if they work from a disciplined training plan. I am confident that their strength levels, in relation to body size and weight, are less than the females I referenced. These ladies squat and lunge 300 lbs.