Question for CF

This question is about the optimal technique for the Tailback who is in the I formation or just starts in a two point stance. I have seen many coaches teach their backs not to take a “false step” or step in the bucket. They do not want them just stepping the foot back and not gaining ground. I have however witnessed many backs such as Shady McCoy for Pitt do a scissor movement(stepping the front foot in the direction your going and putting the other back) with the legs in order to be the center of gravity in a better poistion for acceleration. I believe this is faster than the athlete attempting to “role out of the stance” by not taking a false step they cannot move the foot on the snap but rather must wait longer for the center of gravity to shit as they role forward. If allowed would you favor that the tailback use a 3 point stance in an offense where a back getting a hand off attacks a certain point and is not doing a zone or delay scheme obviously. All others thoughts are welcome.

The two point stance has advantages with longer runs because you don’t have to raise the C/G as much (just like the two point stance favored for sprint runs) and it likely has vision advantages as well.
In theory, I prefer no backward movement, but, in reality, I would never change what is working, no matter what the theory might suggest. With backs, it is also typical that the arms are carried farther back than would be ideal for pure acceleration to allow for more balance for direction change. This arm carriage also influences the action of the back foot.

There was studies done timing athletes in sprints where they were allowed to take the step, and told not to. The step resulted in faster times. Also, when told not to step back, the athletes did it anyway in 95% of those trials.

In football, this is usually ok for plays such as iso’s and quick hitting dives. Other plays require footwork to not interfere with the handoff etc. Sometimes a slight stagger and weight shift forward can stop it for those coaches who “will not allow it”

I did a HS football clinic and I usually have their players race on a command from a 2 point. Then I tell them they can’t step back. The difference is dramatic.

So charlie in theory you believe the athete could be faster without take the scissor step? He is unallowed to take the back step anyway so he might as well begin practicing!

There is significant individuality here. On the track, athletes are basically rolling into the start whereas the football players can’t telegraph the count or their move. theory doesn’t matter- just what works.

I’ve read somewhere about doing more bench press when you have a hamstring injury to maintain CNS reserves. I injured my hamstring about a week and a half ago and still can’t sprint or squat. I’ve just been doing upper body strength, core, and riding a stationary bike. What is a good template to follow for the remainder of my injury? My max is 325

mon/thur: push movements
tue/fri: pull movements
wed/sat: dep pushups

what are dep pushups?