Question for CF:

With such a short time period, I would have one short speed day and one spilt run day then move into typical SE work.

Early season:
Mon: short speed 30’s, 60’s, flying sprints and fef and efe.

Thur: 30’s and 2x3x70 or 2x3x80 walk back rec and 7-10min btw sets.

Tue/Fri: tempo work

Late season:
Mon: speed 3x30, 60/80, 60/80

Thur: 3x30, 2x150

So it’s okay to incorporate a small amount of sub-max finish drills to work on for ex. stepping over etc. for a few weeks but just stay away from the more stressful speed change drills?

I think I can recall you saying something similar to that previously.

Yup. (and I do prob start sounding like a broken record after a bit!)

for how long and for what age group? What change will you make once the meets start up (keep it to this case so people can compare ideas)

Hs/college sprinters. When the season starts I would either drop the SE work and run the kids in the 100/200 or 100 and maybe 1x150 after the meet OR reduce the SE work to 1-2x150 sub max during the week.

Sounds good. Would you keep the EFE,FEF right till the meets or drop them a bit earlier?

Usually most schools have a 3-4 break between indoor and outdoor and during this period I would have a heavy dose of f-e-f and would drop them and move to flying sprints for a couple weeks then to 60-80’s for the rest of season.

With the split run SE in the early phase, I figure it’s a bit too close in effect but that may be habit as much as anything- trying to get one part down pat then then maintain the affected area (FEF,EFE mostly 0-30m and 60s and flying 20s 0 to 60) while trying to advance other very demanding qualities (mostly 80 to 120) in the limited time available.
The original qualities are maintained by starts to 30- usually 4 reps at the start of all speed sessions, and the 60 portion maintained by reps on the way through to 80 and, to a lesser extent, 100.

Are you saying not to do FEF? Also I may be thinking about one of the athletes Im working with, who comp schedule look like this and the early season meets dont mean much to us.

Indoor ends March 9, 3-4 weeks to prep for outdoor.

Outdoor schedule:

4-Apr
10-Apr
17-Apr
22-Apr
25-Apr
2-May big meet
8-May big meet
7-Jun: big meet

Another question for CF relating to split runs. Is there a limit to how long to stay with these into the comp. period? This coming weekend will be the first outdoor meet.

I was planning for a 400 guy this week to go with 2 x ( 200 + 100) then transitioning into two full SE reps with complete recovery for next week.

Also, I noted the variability in the RI between the two reps of 60-90 seconds. I opted for the longer 90 sec. for this phase of split runs as I thought the same guy going through a similar progression for the second time in the same season can likely achieve a greater output and thus require a slightly longer RI. Is this a logical
progression?

I think the steeper the improvement curve, the likelier you are to use split runs and prob the longer you leave them in. Once the meets really get going though, the meets take over the main SE role and you are probably going to look for sub-max longer runs, which lowers the need for split runs.

I’m just wondering how to fit everything in as you don’t have much time. As long as the intensity isn’t too high and you feel they’re responding well to it, it should be ok.

Okay, thanks.

So does the increased rest of split runs from 60 to 90seconds lend itself to greater intensification, the second time around?

I’d never actually, previously, considered doing sub-max SE runs in the training except for the peaking/tapering phase.

So I guess at 95% they would be fast enough to provide stimulation without taking fatigue into the meet?

Charlie–

Would you say the volumes in the Vanc’04 DVD were atypical of what could be performed with MOST athletes? You describe weeks that have more than 2000m of speed work and two SE workouts a week, each having more than 20x60m. That seems quite high on the surface and some other coaches (Henk Kra. for example) have noted that their athletes couldn’t handle close to those volumes for 60s.

CF what would you do with a 400m runner this week, if he had conference last week and ncaa’s this week?

Very little, I suspect. How many races at the conference?

These are examples from some individuals and are intended to be adjusted to suit the individual. Henk Kra. also did a lot more bounding than we did so that might well change the volume. As well, you need to allow for how often the runs are max vs sub-max. look aat the accel limits on the right side column to see how far the athlete accelerates to get a better idea of how hard it actually is.

And this one too. Thanks.

It would depend on execution rate.
The same pace with shortened breaks is intensified.
Longer breaks leading to higher execution rate could also lead to intensification.

I think it’s definitely the latter. The slightly longer intra-set recovery along with having gone through a similar progression once in the last few months has led to faster split runs. Hopefully this will, in turn, lead to better full length SE runs and ultimately faster race performances.

On a side note, not that there would be any surprise on your part, but I’m the one you noted you should charge by the question in one of your High Octane articles from years ago.

I guess not a lot has changed on my side but I do, always, appreciate your help in clarifying.