Question about Med ball training?

Post video! Text is great but let’s see how you do it.

I just got the GPP dvd today, and I’m keen to incorporate some of the methods into my training. Can someone suggest what size medball I should get for the low intensity days? I guess I should start off cautiously? I’m about 100kgs and I’m very much unfit.

I have 2kg and 3kg balls, I just did some throws in the garden, and 3kg is enough to make me out of breath quickly (the running after it is the hardest part :smiley: ). Should I go with that for a while perhaps?

Stay with a 3k ball til it becomes relatively easy to handle. Also, if you’re not very fit, the GPP should be longer in duration- till you’re feeling very fit. This way the work will be spread over as many muscle groups as possible so you’re less likely to get sore in any one area. give it time. You’ll be surprised how much better you’ll feel in a few weeks.

In regards to where to start with med-ball core work…with an athlete that has is out of shape and has done almost no core work in the past, I have started with 300 reps for the first couple of practices and then up to 500 within a week and a half or so. All of my athletes take about 2 weeks to get into things, and from that point on the numbers can move up rather quickly as their cores seems to adapt really fast.

In this thread I am reading about two different types of meb-ball work. Explosive med-ball throws and meb-ball core work. I am thinking that 500-1500 reps of explosive med-ball throws would be a bad thing. My athletes do under 100 throws per practice (closer to 65 throws per practice).

I have little experience with medballs, but 3k that’s very light. Wouldn’t different movements require different weights ?

SeanJos

Charlie, you mention in the DVD that the sessions are 20-40min. in duration. Is it more important to reach 1000-1500 throws even if it takes an hour, or keep the session to the given time?

Its most important to work within your limits. Work up to the 1500 throws a session or you may be too stiff to be able to do anything else that week.

I’d suggest doing say 30min and seeing if you can increase the number of throws in that time. This way you can easily quantify if you are getting better.

It’s important to work enough for a challange but the number will prob be individual

sorry, had to laugh, i was imagining it bursting all over you as you caught it…

hey guys how long does the med ball drills take to perfrom that are in the dvd? i was thinking bout changing them to 5-8.

Gerrard truly was a legend! Great idea why not use a shot put though.

Im finally sold on med balls. I just made my own ball.

Materials: b-ball, tire repair kit, masking tape, duck tape, and 20-25 pnds of sugar. Yes sugar. Sand if you prefer.

Expenses 30 pnds 6.90$ (2.30$ for 10) or sand which is free. Masking tape 47 cents. Tire repair kit
2.30$

Grand total: $9.67 or $2.77 (if you use sand)

Estimated cost of 25pnd ball: 90-100$ plus

Not sure what I’m going to do with it but it sure does look purtty. I got the idea from watching boxers use 25 pnd balls. Why not go heavier? I tried the low weight ones and I didn’t really like them. You have to sit there all day before you get tired.

I am considering making a 60 pnd ball. I might go with used lead tire weights. I will have to strategize though first. Someone mentioned that I could just fill a huge ball with water. I might try this also. I’m sure the artist former known as Clemson would appreciate my cleverness.

I wouldn’t go above 25lbs. Gerrard used to make weighted bags for power speed drills using sand- as you could pack the rubber empty and fill it with sand on arrival- so no extra luggage weight. We didn’t use a shot cause we didn’t have that either!

so from what i take in this thread, on recovery days when doing medballs keep it high rep, an use 3kg ball instead of 5. Do as many reps until challenged or noticing fatique or drop in performance.

Sounds reasonable.

I just did a med ball workout of 75 throws, with the 25 pnd ball.

I know what you are all thinking you have to gradually work your way back in to it.

I dont have time too.

The ball held up well. I did squat throws 5x5, throw slams 5x5, then lie on your back with legs up and throw the ball as high as you can 5x5. I took about a minute and half rest at first. It seemed to easy so I cut it too 30 seconds and it was much harder. I need to lose about 10 pnds in bodyweight. I want to get back to 170, my ideal running weight again. I figure I hit about all the major muscle groups.

WOW! MY ABS ARE SORE.

Specifically my lower abs (I know there connected).

Funny enough, maybe with the exception of the throws on my back (legs lifted), I really did not do anything for abs.

Just weighed myself at 173 pnds. Almost where I want to be. The past two years I have dropped nearly 60 pnds!

Can a med-ball work-out substitute as tempo? Especially if its really bad weather outside?

Will there be sufficient blood flow to the legs from a med-ball workout?

I use med ball workouts as part of a recovery workout
I do not use explosive activity

I have the dvd, and searched the forums, but something still confuses me.

The low intensity med ball work with high reps is done on tempo days, tues,thurs and sat. However, on the graphs, the high intensity med-ball throws are shown for tuesdays,thursdays and saturdays also?

Is this correct?

If this is the early weeks of GPP DVD, then probably yes, as not all high intensity components have been transferred to the high intensity days (e.g., see lower/upper weights).