question about allan wells training

Sevas - I’m well and truly over all this. I don’t care what you do. Please never consider using speedball and just try to enjoy what you are doing.

I derive a great deal of satisfaction & enjoy coaching a terrific group of dedicated athletes, regardless of natural ability, and try to offer variety in the competitions so they can enjoy some level of success.

An interesting thing to note is that since you reignited this ‘discussion’ my forum rep points has gone from 43 where it had been for several months up to 46.

The defence rests.

An interesting thing to note is that since you reignited this ‘discussion’ my forum rep points has gone from 43 where it had been for several months up to 46.

Congratulations! It is the achievement of a lifetime. The rate of success is obviously greater then the success you derived from speedball practicing :slight_smile:

My rating went down by one! Must be either yourself or one of your cronies :slight_smile:

I guess you will eventually rejoin me sometime next week when I commence with the dissection of speed ball exercising :slight_smile:

All the best.

Who are you to tell me to stay focused.
I just added this because it was an outstanding achievement using the Allen Wells training,the name of the thread.
Now,if someones natural ability is 11.3 secs for 100m and they improve to 10.7secs or better they would be over the moon.This has been proven to occur many times over using the Bradley method.i do not believe for a second that you do not know what the Bradley method is.If this method was a mere strength and conditioning method they would not improve their speed.
Now this method is only known in the tight knit circles of Scottish and professional athletics,nothing wrong with that, so hence, it is not familiar on the world stage.The only elite level sprinter to have tried it won an Olympic 100m title.
Feel free to dissect this method but be careful about telling people how they can respond,as you have said numerous times, it is an open forum.

Now,if someones natural ability is 11.3 secs for 100m and they improve to 10.7secs or better they would be over the moon.

Truly amazing! I too used to know a guy who used to smoke, never showed up for training, chased girls, got drunk at least twice a week and as a 16yo ran at nationals 10.65. He used to show up only to compete. Generally he ran under 11.00 sec. in flats, no warm up, just fooled around and was the fastest kid in town. When he turned 18-19 he still ran 10.65 or under 11.00 in flats. He never improved because he did not care.

That is a great talent. But without a decent plan and focus he really never fulfilled his potential.

And so what?

What’s that got to do with anything? Was Frankie an elite runner? I bet he won off 7m too :slight_smile:

Mmmmmmm -imagine what your 16yo could have
done on the Bradley method - probably would
have gone under 10 now don’t you think???

and the relevance of this is???
What is it with some people that they must always
knock others performances just because they are
not in the top couple of percent???

Sevastocrator you seem very bitter towards pro runners. I am sure you ran one year at Stawell and didn’t break 13s for the 120m from 7m. And while you’re so open and frank, it’s only fair if I let the truth out to everyone on this forum. You have the 100m speed of around 11.6 and your coaching ability is yet to be proven. There’s no shame in running no better than 11.6 for the 100m. I ran at best last year 11.41 and definitely have no issues with admitting that. No need to cut down others in order to feel better about your own achievements.

Cross over between sports.

Short track ice work would be more specific for the bend. Long track speed skating involves 100m straights. The elite guys do break 10s for the first 100m, the first 10m is literally a sprint on Ice with speed skates.

That’s impressive!

I can’t be sure any more and wouldn’t want to misquote Loren, but I think the crossover between sports had something to do with triple extension and the “pushing off” by skaters as applied to running, perhaps primarily around the bend?

Sevastocrator you seem very bitter towards pro runners. I am sure you ran one year at Stawell and didn’t break 13s for the 120m from 7m. And while you’re so open and frank, it’s only fair if I let the truth out to everyone on this forum. You have the 100m speed of around 11.6 and your coaching ability is yet to be proven. There’s no shame in running no better than 11.6 for the 100m. I ran at best last year 11.41 and definitely have no issues with admitting that. No need to cut down others in order to feel better about your own achievements.

Sharmer

Just to satisfy your curiosity my event was not 100m even though I have run the 100m and as a 17yo many moons ago I ran 10.92 electric. I am not sure where you got 11.6 from but that’s just proves that many of you either do not read carefully or simply you are not getting my point.

I could not care less about pro runners and I’ve never ever run at Stawell. I would be a bit too old for that.

What else would you like to know about me? And if you do find out more about me will it make the Bradley method more credible anywhere around the world?

Kids.

and the relevance of this is???
What is it with some people that they must always
knock others performances just because they are
not in the top couple of percent???

Storm

The relevance is that even though Frankie has won 2-3 races that year/day he was never an elite runner as he competed at low profile second or third grade local or provincial pro gifts. Big deal!

I bet that apart from maybe 10 people on this forum no one else has ever heard of Frankie. There are many Frankies around in any backyard who can run as fast as Frankie did…

Even though he may have improved under the Bradley method (and who would not improve under any other method as long as they are organised and thorough with their training) the Bradley method did not make him blazing fast but well conditioned and average runner.

What is it with you??? You just don’t get it do
you??? There is no magic system that turns
“average” as you call them runners into “elite”
as you call them - runners.
I don’t really think there’s anything terribly hi-tech
about running fast (yes my own opinion). Keep it
simple but be disciplined and
logical about it. There are obviously many out
there who overthink it all (i am not a coach)and
probably even more that overtrain. Much of the
theory of sprinting here at CF isn’t very complicated

• it just makes a lot of sense just
    like Bradleys method!

You continue to put-down the efforts of some
and laughingly say you don’t care about pro
running! You seem to have wasted a lot of time
slagging it though!
Whether Pro or Amateur(not any more) a runner
is a runner - end of story!

Storm

As a coach and as a parent I think I could point out a few things to you.

My single target as a parent is to ensure I have healthy and happy children while I will derive immense satisfaction by witnessing my children superseding everything I have achieved in life. However if they do not, be it academically or otherwise, I can freely say I have failed as a parent.

The same principle applies to me as a coach in my coaching relationship with my athletes.

Now, if I am not to thoroughly analyse all the options/methods/systems to hand, and only focus on the methods I have experienced to date, I will stagnate as a coach and as a direct consequence my athletes will equally be stuck with their progress.

Therefore, if I was to apply the methods of a gentleman from a bygone era who experimented with certain types of drills, and then preach to others that these methods are so bloody advanced just because a limited number of people who followed these basic exercises, in a planned and disciplined way, have achieved rather average results within a smaller community, without continuously updating, tweaking and adjusting them to a better system - I am destined not to supersede this person.

This is like saying that Einstein’s theory has been formulated by him and is set in stone NEVER to change or be questioned just because “I” happen to be mentored by him and I think of him as a bloody genius.

There is nothing wrong to critique a theory, a method, a system. It is not a sacrilege if one opposes a system in attempt to point out flaws while trying to improve it for the benefit of the sport.

It would be absurd not to do it but to follow it just because one has trained under such a system and because of respect that one has towards another.

As I said previously, I do not care which system I use, or a number of systems as long as these systems work, as long as I as a coach progress, and as long as my athletes keep on improving daily, weekly, monthly, yearly.

In my attempt, I have not personally attacked JB but questioned HIS SYSTEM that not many seem to know much about - apart from - “6 sets of 3’ mate”! Not one of you “defenders” of the great Australian pro coach has pointed out to me how JB worked on speed development, which particular areas he addressed, which areas could have been improved basing this improvement on the knowledge of TODAY. Not one answered my questions directly related to this “method”.

All of this is telling me that not many dare to question “an icon” and rather believe those that did not have capacity or will to improve this system while being embedded in “old ways” because of too much respect towards “the creator”.

Respect towards a person is good but systems are not to be respected but USED and improved.

Would we have electricity today in every house if it was not for those who dared to take it onto a higher and more advanced level? Well, a lamp was providing enough light in the 19th century, why not to stick with it?

Finally, if JB was someone who had access to scientific facilities, and who based his 6x3min. method on science rather than trial and error during this pioneering period in athletics, and if that particular aspect of his training had anything to do with speed development in sprinting I would gladly dedicate 18min. of my time to try it out.

Storm, if I had attitude of some who replied to me in this thread I would have already asked you - how dare you to question my judgment and opinion on this system! You are only an athlete without coaching experience or skills! These are the matters to be discussed among coaches ONLY while you kids and athletes are to observe in admiration and silence while adults are discussing . Imagine if I was acting like that?

I have also left the training plan I have created while borrowing from a number of systems including Charlie’s. I see no one has dared to question that plan. Is it because I have used Charlie’s methods in speed development so you do not dare to critique it?

Cheeky me :slight_smile:

Storm

As a coach and as a parent I think I could point out a few things to you.

My single target as a parent is to ensure I have healthy and happy children while I will derive immense satisfaction by witnessing my children superseding everything I have achieved in life. However if they do not, be it academically or otherwise, I can freely say I have failed as a parent.

The same principle applies to me as a coach in my coaching relationship with my athletes.

Now, if I am not to thoroughly analyse all the options/methods/systems to hand, and only focus on the methods I have experienced to date, I will stagnate as a coach and as a direct consequence my athletes will equally be stuck with their progress.

Therefore, if I was to apply the methods of a gentleman from a bygone era who experimented with certain types of drills, and then preach to others that these methods are so bloody advanced just because a limited number of people who followed these basic exercises, in a planned and disciplined way, have achieved rather average results within a smaller community, without continuously updating, tweaking and adjusting them to a better system - I am destined not to supersede this person.

This is like saying that Einstein’s theory has been formulated by him and is set in stone NEVER to change or be questioned just because “I” happen to be mentored by him and I think of him as a bloody genius.

There is nothing wrong to critique a theory, a method, a system. It is not a sacrilege if one opposes a system in attempt to point out flaws while trying to improve it for the benefit of the sport.

It would be absurd not to do it but to follow it just because one has trained under such a system and because of respect that one has towards another.

As I said previously, I do not care which system I use, or a number of systems as long as these systems work, as long as I as a coach progress, and as long as my athletes keep on improving daily, weekly, monthly, yearly.

In my attempt, I have not personally attacked JB but questioned HIS SYSTEM that not many seem to know much about - apart from - “6 sets of 3’ mate”! Not one of you “defenders” of the great Australian pro coach has pointed out to me how JB worked on speed development, which particular areas he addressed, which areas could have been improved basing this improvement on the knowledge of TODAY. Not one answered my questions directly related to this “method”.

All of this is telling me that not many dare to question “an icon” and rather believe those that did not have capacity or will to improve this system while being embedded in “old ways” because of too much respect towards “the creator”.

Respect towards a person is good but systems are not to be respected but USED and improved.

Would we have electricity today in every house if it was not for those who dared to take it onto a higher and more advanced level? Well, a lamp was providing enough light in the 19th century, why not to stick with it?

Finally, if JB was someone who had access to scientific facilities, and who based his 6x3min. method on science rather than trial and error during this pioneering period in athletics, and if that particular aspect of his training had anything to do with speed development I would gladly dedicate 18min. of my time to try it out.

Storm, if I had attitude of some who replied to me in this thread I would have already asked you - how dare you to question my judgment and opinion on this system! You are only an athlete without coaching experience or skills! These are the matters to be discussed among coaches ONLY while you kids and athletes are to observe while adults are discussing in admiration and silence. Imagine if I was acting like that?

I have also left the training plan I have created while borrowing from a number of systems including Charlie’s. I see no one has dared to question that plan. Is it because I have used Charlie’s methods in speed development so you do not dare to critique it?

Cheeky me :slight_smile:

Sevascrator you just do’t get it do you.

This thread WAS about the training that Allan Wells employed to win an Olmpic Gold medal. That was until you decided it was all a myth and could never have happened.

No-one has critiqued or commented on your program that you dumped on this thread because we’re not interested in what you do. You have never developed a single fast runner in your life. So why would we care what you do?

Stick to your plan and when you get someone to an elite level, then you can brag all you like. Until then shut the hell up and stop condemning others for adopting something different.

This thread WAS about the training that Allan Wells employed to win an Olmpic Gold medal. That was until you decided it was all a myth and could never have happened.

Youngy, you have lost the plot. Wells has trained using the speed balls method created by your mentor JB. I have said that an exception DOES NOT make a rule. Period.

Anyone apart from Wells? NONE!

No-one has critiqued or commented on your program that you dumped on this thread because we’re not interested in what you do. You have never developed a single fast runner in your life. So why would we care what you do?

Are you their representative, advocate or leader?

Hear yourself.

Stick to your plan and when you get someone to an elite level, then you can brag all you like. Until then shut the hell up and stop condemning others for adopting something different.

Achieve and then brag LOL …This just shows a few things about you. You do not have anything better to say then - “shut up” LOL

A true Bradley champ! LOL What was it, 7 or 7.5m? And please be civil!

Talk to me only when you have something constructive to say until then didn’t you say already that this discussion is over for you?

Now, is it?

Sevas

You should review your posts - you have referred to the Bradley training method as a myth on several occasions. I was merely quoting you.

There’s another part of the forum where you can post your own training plans - but I suspect that the reason you posted it on the Allan Wells thread is that you know this has been getting a lot of traffic and so you want the exposure.

Shows how bad it is when you have to remind people that you actually posted it.

Fair enough too. If you did post it where it should have been you wouldn’t get anyone to read it.

As I said no-one’s interested in what you do. Surely it’s sunk in by now?

Youngy

You should review your posts - you have referred to the Bradley training method as a myth on several occasions. I was merely quoting you.

That’s what it is. A myth. 6x3min speed ball makes you a bloody fast sprinter myth.

There’s another part of the forum where you can post your own training plans - but I suspect that the reason you posted it on the Allan Wells thread is that you know this has been getting a lot of traffic and so you want the exposure.

I have posted here because one of your cronies has asked me to… pathetic.

Shows how bad it is when you have to remind people that you actually posted it.

Or bad when you do not know how to analyse “the system” you have been following for many decades adequately and objectively.

As I said no-one’s interested in what you do. Surely it’s sunk in by now?

LOL

Whats this kid u know got anything to do with improving from 11.3 down to 10.6?? NOTHING.

I have coached athletes at high school down from 12sec + runners down to 11.1 runners. From 11.8 runners to 10.9 and from 11.3 down to 10.7. All within 8months.
Dont compare a 10.6 kids who just does it naturally. Compare where the dude WAS to where he GOT.
Now on the flip side of the above guys, most moved on to a capital city once school finnished for university, one even was under schoolership due to his medaling at nationals as a high school kid under my training.
so, now instead of Grass only track, very basic weights and an unpaid trainer, he now has
grass and tartan, proper weights, Paid trainer.
His results - never broke 11sec again!!

He was training, from a fast background and became slower!

JB methods if used correctly, produce the opposite of this university (top uni in the state) and make people from 11.3 down to 10.6.

By the way - i followed CF programing, not JB.

The point is, if something works, it works.

The other point to remember is this
People prioritize things, eg, School, then track or Uni then part time job then track then or Work then track, or even Work, family then track. Therefore, not a lot of people have the ability to train for an aim of sub 10sec, even if they have the ability. These people, have other things in their life, and 10.6 might be all the time they have to train for? Who knows? So therefore, becoming ELITE or Sub 10sec just isnt a priority in life. So what? This is why Pro running has evolved to where it is. There have been Oly level dudes come out of pro running, they simply make track their top priority and put in the energy required.
My point, not everybody WANTs to run 10 or 9.9. They do want to improve though. Ifs its year to year, or only from start of season to end of season then take 6months off each yr and repeat.
If JB’s methods do this for them, who are we to say B.S.??
The only time one should say B.S. is when a 10.8 runner changes coach and starts running 11.2…