purchasing EMS units

If our archives aren’t working, try T-Nation. I had an article published over there. Maybe their archives will work.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459574

Thanks for that! I’m not very computer savy.

Thank you for the links guys! I’ve been searching the net for some more info on EMS and I managed to find a translated and version of the original Jakov Kots research along with some other research articles relating to EMS. Ofcourse,after reading the article you will notice that there still are discrepancies relating to which frequency (2,5kHz vs 50Hz-100Hz) should be used.
Any thoughts on that?
Let me know what you think…

Ok tried to attach the article and couldnt(what a surprise for me:))…
so heres the link,hope you find to informative/interesting…
www.ptjournal.net/cgi/content/full/82/10/1019

To the thread opener
I have EMS 7500 2nd edition i’ve got for around 50 bucks and it’s more than enough for my level

At level 4 out of 8 I get a maximal contraction that burns the muscle and feels like 200% 1rm.
But it takes ages to work several muscle groups… only has 2 channels so it’s really annoying.

Another question for the experts if we are already talking about ems:
Why do I get a more powerful\painful contraction on my left thigh compared to my right ? I need less current too.

Is this normal ? just proceed the treatments ? or have i spotted something unusual

For the record I had paterllar tendonitis on my right knee so I’ve been trying to stay off it in my daily life (got off chairs using the left leg etc)

mass looks the same on both legs.

All I know is that the Compex stuff works. I also use anything from 75hz to 500hz and they are both fine for strength.

TC,

Is this the unit you have? I thought Compex had several models, now it appears it only has one with multiple programs. I now have enough money to get one. I’d be using it for recovery, injury therapy, and strength/power. Am I better off with another unit?

http://www.betterbraces.com/ViewProducts/CompexSportMuscleStimulator/1023.aspx

This one is good value for the money. I’ve seen it listed at $400 to $600 US.

http://www.xxcycle.com/activ-xt-chargeur-batterie,en.php

Might not be on sale much longer.

Sweet.
Just a note to everyone. I would think twice about paying upwards of $1000 for an ems unit if you have not already allocated a budget for manual therapy.

You might need new pads… If you feel sharp pins and needles feelings the pads might be too thin get some new ones if these are new, get some better ones… You could try cleaning them with alcohol

Good grief 100hz??? I would pass out LOL. I have the compex and at 50hz my muscles on my quads contract so hard that the pain makes me break a sweat. I’ve tried it on my glutes too and its instant soreness. This thing really does a number on your muscles… The only place I dont get sore for some reason is the hamstrings and feet… But its an awesome unit.

#2, Do you have this unit?

I have a similar unit - the Myo XT from Cefar. The program array is very similar. Still very good value for the money. Do a search on the Net to find comparable prices - I couldn’t find any.

Isn’t the Cefar a prescription unit? How do you get it without a doctor prescription?

Also regarding the comment

Good grief 100hz??? I would pass out
, I think that you are confusing mA with Hz.

Are you in the US? Stim units are (or at least used to be) prescription in the US but not in Canada.

If you show them the $$$ they’ll sell it to you. I doubt there would be a problem. The only trouble I’ve ever had was getting bitched at by EBay when trying to sell one of my three units.

Bought mine on Amazon no problem.

I’m curious at what level are you guys (girls) setting the other parameters?

Like what? Parameters can depend on the unit. I set mine at between 100-120hz at as high mA as I can stand for max strength. If the unit has a pulse width, I set that at the highest setting (250us?). I use ems rarely however except with injured athletes. You gotta have a dedicated mofo to stick with full EMS treatments several times per week (up to an hour or more added on to normal training times).

You are right, parameters depend on the unit, and there is quite a bit of knowledge that goes with EMS training. I’m finding out more and more that in the USA, for cultural reasons there isn’t a lot of knowledge disseminated among users and practitioners alike.

I can tell you for instance that 250 microseconds of phase duration is OK for arms and pecs, but definitely insufficient for abs, quadriceps and calf. Also, with higher microsecond phase duration, the stimulation is is stronger at the same current level, with the result that you are either more comfortable, or be able to go higher in current intensity, or both.

Also if you train for Maximum strength you may want to go from 75 Hz to 100 Hz. 120 Hz won’t give you the same results, because it will stimulate more explosive strength fibers (which typically give you speed but have less force in them); it may actually be detrimental to maximum strength, as it will progressively transform some of your maximum strength fibers into explosive strength fibers.

Other parameters often neglected are work time, rest time and ramp time:[ul]
[li]Maximum strength: 10 sec work / 15 sec rest;
[/li][li]Explosive strength: 6 sec. work, 20 sec. rest;
[/li][li]Ramp about 1.5 sec, more will waste your energy and take away from your training, less will probably be less comfortable and prompt you to keep down mA intensity.
[/li][/ul]

For the above reasons, and because one cannot afford a personal EMS trainer with him/her all the time, you are better off with a more professional unit that has all of the parameters programmed depending on the training goal.

Pad placement is equally important, and there are devices that have that on screen. Here is a good web page with pad placement videos.

At what mA level do you set your unit? On what muscle groups do you attach the pads. And where do you place them?