Proper 4x100m relay order?

Our 4x100 team has been pretty inconsistent each week, but I think we finally have a solid 4 guys that will be running it from now on. The three times we have ran it have been with a different combo of people. Anyways, my question is what would be the best way to structure the order with what we have?

Currently this is what we have:

B.S. -5’9" 155 lbs. 11.05/22.71 PR’s, fastest out of blocks can run any leg.
K.B. -5’ 7 1/2" 145 lbs. 11.35 100m PR, second fastest out of blocks, solid turn runner. Always ran 1st leg or 3rd leg.
J.C. -5’10" 170 lbs. (Myself) more of a 200m/400m type, better on the straight. Experienced on 2nd leg, have received baton from KB since 10th grade.
J.S. -5’9" 165 lbs. Not sure on his PR’s, but he is just as fast as me; experience at 1st leg in high school, but can run any other leg.

Alternate: D.M. 5’10" 173 lbs. 400 guy, start isn’t great. Has ran 3rd leg once this year.

I made up a few possible combinations of relay orders.

1.) 1st- BS 2nd-JS 3rd- KB 4th- Myself
2.) 1st- KB 2nd- Myself 3rd- BS 4th- JS
3.) 1st- KB 2nd- Myself 3rd- JS 4th- BS

We ran 43.56 this year so far with the 2nd combo I have written down, but I think we would do better if he ran anchor leg instead of 3rd. With what we have, any suggestions on the most effective way to put together a 4x1 with this group?

Based only on the description you made, this is the choice that could be made here:

BS + JC + KB + JS

BS first because his strong point is start and can run the bend, JC in second leg because this leg can be the longest if exchanges are done perfectly (up to 120m), and JC prefers straight leg, and as a long sprinters needs the longest, 3rd KB, experienced bender, 4th, JS, because seems to be the slowest, so he should be given the shortest leg possible, dow to 90m.

Then, there are psychological issues, and sometimes, timing relay exchanges times are crucial to chose the orders.

Yeah you probably are right in that suggestion… Seems like the most logical. Thanks alot.

So, as in most things, the conventional “wisdom” here is wrong. Usually the big stud will anchor, when in fact he should be # 2? Classic example of this is Carl Lewis running anchor, when by virtue of having the highest top speed, as well as having 200M SE, he should have been running second :confused:

Yeah we have tried to put him 2nd leg, but he is so against running 2nd leg and he thinks that he can’t hand off the baton well. He’s more content on the 3rd leg but would rather run 4th. We need to all talk it over with our coach. I think it would be great if he would run 2nd leg too, but then again I think he could run any leg good…

Anchor leg is the “glory” leg, the one where the winner cruises the line pointing fingers in the sky. Also, that’s the only leg where the runners doesn’t do anything but receive the baton so the technical level is limited. Many team’s “stars” don’t find time to practice exchange with teammates, so it’s safer to put them in the anchor… Nevertheless, logic would put the fastest runner of the team in second leg, in order to make him run a longer distance than the others. But it’s only possible with high technical level and hours of practice, unlike USA who can’t pass the baton with 15m accuracy.

Which has never failed to amaze me. I sort of think <rant> that some of it is due to the American tendency to allow people to be spoiled brats, and part of it is due to the idea that it is somehow okay to be an idiot. In Athens Lauren Williams said something along the lines of “these things happen” or maybe it was MJ, don’t remember now, but I was yelling at the TV, “No they don’t just happen!! You guys messed it up!” I see this as not just a technical issue but an example of more: why in the world can’t the star be bothered to practice for the freakin Olympics, and why won’t coaches put their foot down, and why does everyone just accept that a relay squad that should win can’t pass the stick right??
I don’t expect the precision of some teams who have been doing it a lot together, but holy cow, DQing is just pathetic, and everyone just sort of shrugs it off. “Oh well, maybe it won’t happen next time” :mad: </rant>

haha yeah so true… Shows how important the exchanges come down to when you have so many elite sprinters, or in any race for that matter.