Powerlifting/running organization

I could use some advice. I am in the military and I activly powerlift also. I have problems with being able to perform well on our run test. This is because I don’t run for most of the year as I have heard that it is bad for powerlifting. My objective is to pass these tests so I can keep lifting. I HAVE to start so I can pass these tests. The tests are a 1.5 mile run and a 600m run. I am having problems with training organization and what exactly my running workouts should be. Altitude of where I am is also a concern. The rest of my template is standard Sun-Mon-Wed-Fri Westside for lifting. As far as the runs go, I feel that my lungs are the problem, not my legs (if that makes sense). If you need any more info, let me know. I would really appreciate any help you can give me.
Btw, as of right now, I was thinking of doing close-interval sprints the day after squat workouts. 2-a-day workouts are not really an option. I do have access to saunas, etc. though.

How fast do you have to run to pass?

Wish I could remember the mans name but one of the iron man tri athlete types can squat 500 pounds despite regularly running over 25 miles and all the cycling , swimming and kyaking he does.

I think you should run 3 times per weak.
Either after the weights sessions or on the in between days.
It’s that simple. You don’t need to be running for more than 10 minutes to prepare for the running times so it’s not going to add a huge amount of time to your training routines if you do them after the weights sessions.
Just make sure you’ve got time to swallow your carb & protein drinks.

Even if your legs feel heavy after a weights session, that should not put you of from doing a 4 to 10 minute run. Remember, those in the military are often deliberately trained in a muscle fatigued state. It’ll prepare you fine for what you are trying to achieve.

I think you should run 3 times per weak.
Either after the weights sessions or on the in between days.
It’s that simple. You don’t need to be running for more than 10 minutes to prepare for the running times so it’s not going to add a huge amount of time to your training routines if you do them after the weights sessions.
Just make sure you’ve got time to swallow your carb & protein drinks.

Even if your legs feel heavy after a weights session, that should not put you of from doing a 4 to 10 minute run. Remember, those in the military are often deliberately trained in a muscle fatigued state. It’ll prepare you fine for what you are trying to achieve.

Thanks! I couldn’t get anybody on base to answer my questions, so I really appreciate it. One more thing, though. If I only need to run for 10 minutes or so, what kind of work should I be doing? I was thinking of some close-interval sprints; say between 200 and 400m. I felt like it would work, but that’s because I feel like my limiting factor in these runs is my lungs. My legs can keep going, but I can’t get enough air. The altitude up here really hurts as far as breathing goes. Do you think interval runs would be best?

I have to run a 12:30 in the 1.5 mile and a 2:00 600m. The 600 is more of a gut-check. Lots of people puke afterwards. I can probably do that one, but I hate running distance. After the first hill on the 1.5, the altitude starts getting to me. I can’t get enough air, so my form goes to shit. Would something that makes you suck alot of air be helpful?

Being in the military I’m pretty sure you could run 1.5 miles in 12.5 minutes, but if you are not interval training, I’d be more afraid of the 600m. You better try that one first to see where you are at.

Regardless, I would do some type of 200m interval training twice a week (Shoot for 8 at 35 seconds each with 5 minutes rest inbetween to get your air back). They will help both distances. Also do some general aerobic work. Say three miles in 24 minutes twice a week. I also powerlift. What’s your bodyweight? Total?

Mike, having just completed a 5 year committment, I was in the exact same boat as you. 12:30 for 1.5m should be no sweat for you, given adequate preparation. That only comes out to an 8:00minute/mile pace.

I recommend running either on the evening of your lower body gym days or the morining following your lower body gym day.

Three days a week should be sufficient. One longer duration moderate intensity run day and two interval days. Just give yourself enough time to ramp the running volume up so as to avoid trauma to the lower legs. I had a horrible time with shin splints/stress fractures.

Stick with 6x400, or 4x600, or 3x800 meter intervals on the track and don’t exceed 3-4 miles for your longer run day.

If you are training WSB then it might look like this:

Sun-Dyn Bench
Mon-Max Sq/Dl AM Interval track work PM
Tues- off
Wed- Max BP AM Longer run PM
Thurs- off
Fri- Dyn SQ/DL AM Interval track work PM

James