Power-Speed training

Charlie,

In the new e-book, you provide a couple of sample training weeks and at the start of each day, right after warm up, you include a ‘power-speed drills’ component.

I’m not clear on exactly what power-speed drills are. Could you provide some examples of the types of power-speed drills one would use for speed days, tempo days and speed endurance days?

Thanks!

I’m curious about what these drills are as well.

Power Speed drills:

A skip, B skip, Running A’s, Running B’s, ankling, heeling (C skip), Tripling and some occassions Power Bounding. As far as the length and # of reps they can vary. ie. 4 x 10-20m, 3 x 20m, etc

Charlie thoughts?

Originally posted by Vito
[b]Power Speed drills:

A skip, B skip, Running A’s, Running B’s, ankling, heeling (C skip), Tripling and some occassions Power Bounding. As far as the length and # of reps they can vary. ie. 4 x 10-20m, 3 x 20m, etc

Charlie thoughts? [/b]

Really? I thought that these were more of warmup and form drills than power-speed.

Xlr8,

they are part of warm up and form drills. I think you are reading the word “speed” in power speed (PS) and thinking that it involves putting on your spikes, well it doesn’t, PS is done in your flats and is part of your daily workout warm-up .

I know this only b/c I was taught by my old coach (@ Toronto’s Track & Field house) who Charlie knew well, George Vanzyl (not sure about spelling), who actually became Cheryl Tibedeau’s (not sure about spelling either) coach, one of Charlie’s old track athlete’s.

Charlie correct??

Wow, what a misnomer! These drills do not involve either significant power or speed. I’m going to look through CFTS again and see if this is covered.

Charlie are you out there?

Charlie Francis
Administrator

A weight vest should never add more than 10%, which means your vest needs to lose weight- or you do! Weighted drills should emphasize the verticle componants of training. We mostly used weight for power speed drills ( like running As).

xlr8, as you can see from the above quote the drill used are the same regular As and Bs we use to teach technique. I think the “power speed” title comes from the way they are executed.
Power Speed is the maximum force a muscle can exert over a short period of time. This is defined as work done for less than 10 seconds or less than 10 repetitions of an exercise or a skill exercise done for less than 20m.” (Brent McFarlane)
Hope that helps.

Thanks guys. I guess I have been doing ‘power-speed’ work all along!

Vito is right on the money.

OHSTF,

Does that stand for Ontario High School Track & Field??