Power snatch plyometric.

Quote by David W from other thread; “No - I am saying if you do full squats & hang snatches (plus some auxillary hamstring exercises) and do speed/tempo you do not need any other training mode (plyos, circuits…).”

Wouldn’t one have to power snatch atleast bodyweight for it to be a usefull plyometric exercise? If so, then I won’t start to include them in my program as haven’t even done them before and don’t want to start from scratch.

I’ve changed my thinking on this topic. I now feel snatches are too far too the right of the F:V curve to be an effective strength stimulus for a sprinter.

Thanx for the info. :slight_smile:

Does this not depend on what 1RM% you are using? Or does doing high percentages of your 1RM give you both high force and velocity?

I.e. F=MA with a big M and a big A? or is F=mA with small m and a big A as you have stated; if so, I find this hard to believe since you are doing heavy snatches or cleans.

Plyo’s are recomended, so what about substituting hip snatches and power jerks for plyo’s? Using the same rules, ie 40 contacts(or reps) per session? Because in essence all these are are weighted plyo’s(with the eccentric phase being unweighted in the hip snatch). Could these with some hurdle hops and power speed drills be sufficient?

I know many athletes who can’t snatch 50% of their best deadlift. The stimulus to limit strength (Fmax) will therefore be minimal.

Do any world class athletes snatch greater than 80% of their deadlift and if they do where do they lie on the force velocity curve? Even if any don’t hypothetically where would they lie?