Power Clean vs. Hang Clean

He doesn’t actually say very much at all, most of it is Chuck V doing a workout of 10s x 2r. The speed is extremely fast all the way through .

I had a look around and couldn’t find any bits in articles but recalled this radio interview with Louie which is pretty good and definitely worth a listen.

Duxx you can even listen fine with dial up :smiley: I know as I too use it at home :frowning:

Tnx John!

Then… what is the purpose of this in athlete’s training??? I would ditch (this kind of) DE in athlete’s prep!
Anyway, if you use slow eccentric, and explosive concentric action in every set of ordinary strength training (ME, SE, RE), like Tier System proposes, then why the hell would you do DE???

Duxx,
Why not go
T1 ME
T2 DE
T3 RE
T4 Mobility same classification (L, U, T) as T1
T5 Mobility same classification (l, U, T) as T2

The elite (conjugate) template, page 71.? Yes, the speed (DE) can be trained this way (percent training — submax), but I would use slow down and explosive up, with the rest upside, and sometime with-or-without at down position. The speed/power is only that counts in this Tier.

(1) 32X2
(2) X0X3

DE type 1, would increase concentric explosive strenght from starting position (without using elastic strenght — SSC),with or without starting resistance which depend do you sit on the box and thus relase the load on extensors or you are doing it without box

DE type 2, would try to increase concrentic explosive strengh using elastic effect and SSC of fast eccentrics.

This may be two “different abilities” needed for athletes, which can be developed separately, but doing X0X0 is don’t neccesary, because it is more like an “continuous activity” (like cycling)? What do you think?

*** Ups, out of topic of this thread… or not? We are talking about “elasticity” anyway

What do I think? Better to state what I know…and that is that you are waay more intelligent on these sort of things than me :smiley:

P71 yes.

I was talking about using a box.

Why even worry about specific tempos?

For ME use a controlled eccentric then strive to have an explosive concentric.

DE just go as fast as possible all way as per your example 2.

Ohhhh… John! :slight_smile:
But you are older, and more experienced… :smiley:

Specific tempos? No, this is just an example, to explain what I am talking about…

For DE work, I would cycle the following:

Decceleration work
Drop the weight (controlled) and catch it… hold for second, then go up easy. Rest-repeat
Tempo: X233
Purpose: To develop ability to “absorb” the force --eccentric strenght

Explosion from unloaded state
Easily load the weight, sit down to box(or put the bar on chest to unload the arms), relax prime movemrs, explode up, rest
Tempo: 32X2

Explosion from loaded state
Easily load the weight, stay down, but keep holding the load, explode up, rest
Tempo: 32X2
Purpose: To develop power, without help of SSC

Elastic Strenght
Deccend down powerfully, without stop try to explode upward again. Rest a little at start position.
Tempo: X0X3
Purpose: To decrease time between eccentric-concentric contraction. To develop elastic strenght. To induce maximal strenght changes in concentric action using SSC mechanism

“Cyclical Strenght”
Decelerate down powerfully, without stop explode up, without stop go down again
Tempo: X0X0
Purpose: To generate great work in small amount of time (???). To develop elastic strenght.

*** Tempo is only hypothetical, just to show on what I think

What do you think ( :smiley: )?

I might say that there is no need to implement some of DE work without considering the goals you want to achieve with it with you athletes!

What I think the problem is with “Cyclical Strenght” mentioned (Tempo X0X0), is that athlete starts slowing the bar prematurelly during the concentric action — this allows him to deccelerate it faster and to accelerate it downward faster, which in turn “speed ups” the excution of the set. Actually, I think that in kind of action, you actually pull the bar down using horiyontal pull muscles…
Maybe I am wrong here, because I didn’t saw the video of DE work, but it the purpose is to do those 2-3reps in the shortest posible time, then I think that it may be true what I have just wrote (premature decceleration and limited explosive strenght in upward contraction) — Someone correct me if I am wrong here!! Please!

Speaking for the Louie Simmons/Westside definition of DE, the bench press is performed like you say (concentric probably with some premature deceleration and some pulling of the bar down to the chest on each rep).

They perform DE squat differently… I know AcBarch knows how to do this stuff too maybe he could chime in. I have met Louie Simmons several times and he taught me how to box squat which is why I feel qualified to harp on these little DE points.

AH!!! Ok, if a picture is worth a thousand words…
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5100052535211856863

This is a rough example of a box squat (not me, just found this on the web). I would say he needs a faster eccentric phase but otherwise it is traditional Westside lower body DE. If you really want, I can try to rip some video footage of Chuck Vogelpohl’s training so you can see an elite guy box squat…

edit: man, I can not find a good DE squat clip anywhere! Any example I see sucks. I now understand your uncertainty.

True on both counts but I am still a weak wannabe :o and what I have learned is limted compared to your book smarts. :smiley: Also I know a bit about Westside training but am in no way an authority on it.

Have you discussed this with someone like James Smith? He would be more qualified than me to respond.

That said I’ll try my best :cool: …NOTE to self don’t post too much in case you show your ignorance and the whole pretence of knowledge is lost :stuck_out_tongue:

I recall reading or hearing somewhere them describe DE as lowering the bar as fast as possible under control. In the DVD Louie talks about lowering it fast on to the box so you get the same effect as plyos, that is why you are down fast and off the box fast.

You could do all the things you outline and they would probably work but most people (me included) just need to get under the bar and move more weight faster.

The DVD I refer to is The Special Strenghts one it discusses a vast array of methods.

Mortac,

Thanks BRO!
Anyway, if DE bench press is done with X0X0 tempo for 3 reps (50-70% 1RM), then why DE Squat is not done the same way?

Mortac, in the videos you provided, the guy is doing DE squats JUST LIKE ME… He do it slow down, rest, explode Up, rest — Tempo 32X2 (didn’t counted though)!
You said that the eccentric should be fast too without rest at the bottom, right (Tempo X0X2)? Then, this is not it!

Yup, that’s it! Now even more! :confused:

Yes… if you lower it fast, without stop — as fast as possible transition to concentric, which is also explosive, then you will get plyo effect!

I say there should be a pause on the box (maybe 1 second). The stretch reflex will last for several seconds! There are too many words here and not enough video examples :slight_smile:
I will shut up now and post an Elitefts or Westside video after my training sessions tonight.

Stretch reflex last for several second??? I don’t thinks so… you lose SSC effect within ms (120ms or something), due myosin bridges opening… you loose stored elastic energy within ms!
Looking forward to see the video! Thanks for your effort!
Have a nice workout!

http://www.mortworld.com/summer06/bs2.mpg
Video is from EliteFTS Exercise Index Squat and Deadlift.

Na man I don’t think 100ms! Hell it’s hard to even get a contact less than 120ms in a depth jump! Maybe we’re talking about different things. Your muscles will store elastic energy for up to about 2 seconds. You can definately feel this by doing box squats or counter-movement jumps with different duration pauses at the bottom.

In the one I have Chuck V is waaay faster than that. I’ll try and post it later.