PB's after a forced layoff.

Hi

I just heard about a 400m runner in our club who came back from a near month long injury (foot) and in his first practice back ran a PB. He used only EMS.

What I understand about this is that it’s quite common. Somehow these forced layoffs where no running is possible shifts the contractile characteristics of fast-twitch motor units towards the quicker type IIb.

I do have my own thoughts on this, and would like to know about other coaches/athletes experience and what they know to be fact.

Sean Jos

He was probably overtrained in the first place so the layoff let his body recover. It happens with many athletes. I am not sure about the shift in contractile componets of the muscle but the EMS probably gave him just enough stimulation. What was he doing for training on the track and in the gym prior to the injury.

It surprises me he PB’d in the 4. I’ve seen it over and over in the explosive events like the 55m and long jump. The type IIb conversion has been my theory but I don’t know for sure.

I’ve seen kids really pull a hammy, be out for months, then PR by 10" in the LJ. I’ve given kids 10-14 days of near total rest due to horrible shin splints and they come back and PR in the 55m. I PB’d in the 55m years ago after being deathly sick for about 6 days (bed rest-horrible food poisoning). I ran like garbage for the 2, but my 55m was great.

It makes me wonder…might be the LLTE (longterm lag training effect) that Verk & Siff speak of…

I had a similar experience in 1981 with an athlete who suffered a severe sprain after falling on the ice. She used EMS almost exclusively for 3 weeks and went straight out and had the world leading time in the 500m indoors first time out. EMS canot be discounted as a training tool as 3 or 4 weeks is too long off for results in such long events without significant work.
In short sprints, especially in my day, when tapers were less well understood, I’d guess most PBs were set after some sort of very mild injury forced a training reduction for 1 or 2 weeks.

hopefully this works cuz thats my situation right now

coincidentally from the hit guy…

Thanks

Yes this surely means that a reduction in training frequency is required, soon we’ll be hearing of athletes who can’t wait for their next injury…

As the intensity in training increases then there must be a proportionate decrease in volume and/or frequency (H.I.T principle). This is especially true in Olympic level athletes as they are exposed to the highest intensity workouts, due of the amount of force they are capable of.

EMS is the dogs bollocks man.

SeanJos

I heard this is what happened to Jonathan Edwards but I can’t be sure.

Also, I do strength and conditioning for a 400m runner. I had no control over her track work but found that by almost completely eliminating strength work from her programme I was able to force a taper to allow performance to improve. This was only possible becuase she was being severely overtrained on the track. A better approach would have been a track and strength programme that were integrated and used moderate volumes so that both track and weights could be used and varied with respect to one another to ensure improvement.

By the way, the improvement might not have been due to fibre conversion but also to the recovery of other system such as the ANS, CNS, Adrenal System etc… Perhaps she had sever parasympathetic overtraining for high volumes for a long time?

As the intensity in training increases then there must be a proportionate decrease in volume and/or frequency (H.I.T principle).

As for the HIT Principle. This is not only seen in HIT. This is one of Charlie’s primary ideas. It is demonstrated and explained in the Van’02 DVD along with other graphs explaining about long term athletic development.

Keep on posting…

TC

By the way, the improvement might not have been due to fibre conversion but also to the recovery of other system such as the ANS, CNS, Adrenal System etc…

This was my thought also, as you progress extra rest days should be inserted…

Also a complete rest of up to 14 days every 6 weeks of training ensures not only complete recovery but allows time for the adaptation.

Even without EMS this layoff will not cause atrophy (unless a rank beginner) provided your adequately hydrated.

SeanJos

OK,

But by looking at the idea of General Adaptation and (GAS) you can realise that you don’t necessarily need to rest the entire body. You can just perform work that doesnt’ interfere with a certain body system that is slightly overtrained. Or you can try and compensate by doing work that attempts to restore the weakened body system.

If you did 14 days complete recovery when you come back you are going to be stiff as hell. So that knocks out the next 7 days worth of training. Perhaps theoretically 14 days off might be a good idea but in practice it may cause more problems than it solves.

TC

theoretically 14 days off might be a good idea but in practice it may cause more problems than it solves.-tc0710

Eh ??? what reality are you living in ? LOL

For something to be a theory then it has to be a valid statement, GAS is a valid proven theory and not a hypothesis.

I appreciate what your saying but how can the average Joe know what energy system is weak ? Why even care… the two weeks will cover it. As for the stifness I experienced none, due to high levels of static and dynamic flexibility.

Seanjos

You experienced none? I thought we were talking about a runner from your club?

The runner was an example I used in my first question, I then talked about my own experience.

Try to keep up, your holding the class.

Seanjos

Thanks for the explanation because it sounds like you’re bs’ing everyone and getting caught up in your own lies. And it’s “you are” or “you’re”.

LOL

You know your beaten when all you can comment on is grammar.

SeanJos

If you have OmegaWave you can tell for sure but with practice and looking back at the training logs you can tell what is effected by how they are performing in the different parts of training. It takes practice but it can be done.

TC, Speedkills, and others,

Why are you guys feeding this troll? If we ignore people like this they will get bored and go away eventually.

Sorry, I’m like a 6-year-old with a scab (you guys figure out who’s who). I gotta pick at it!!

Cos i like helping people. Even those who don;t want to be helped. Its a problem i have and I should really get over it! I just wish people would help me more often in real life rather than through an interent forum!

Issues are issues and, frankly, it’s brought some life to discussions hasn’t it! There are a lot of good points floating around for all to benefit from.