Optimal Soccer Training

No, it means that we don’t feel that you have put in the time to search out the answers on your own. We have discussed many of these issues in the past.

We don’t know which exercises in the gym are going to improve all them in one go.

That is true. I do not believe that there is any “magic bullet” exercise that will address all components of any sport other than actually playing the sport (and even that approach has its own limitations.)

RnR,

What team do you play for?

No we know plenty(I know a little but combined with the vast knowledge of the others, that adds up), but the idea is that topics like this have been discussed before, so what is the point in retyping everything that has been said when you could look it up. If you have questions after then ask. And be more open minded, I don’t understand why you cannot except that cycling is not a good way to increase ones acc and specific endurance(which is really best increased by playing soccer, so participating in several scrimmages in practice or with other teams would be best if you think about it).

The wheelbarrow example has some pretty obvious flaws. Think about it like this, a body which weighs in more with functional muscle has more potential for power.

If you look at the speed of top 100m sprinters in the first 10m’s of a race, they are about as fast as it gets.

At a flying start even most premiership players would be left in their wake. Nothing i can say will change your mind, but i will train my way safe in the knowledge that i will actualise my potential much sooner and reap the benefits on the field.

I don’t understand why you cannot except that cycling is not a good way to increase ones acc and specific endurance(which is really best increased by playing soccer, so participating in several scrimmages in practice or with other teams would be best if you think about it).

I don’t understand why you believe acceleration can be increased by playing soccer. For specific endurance, yes. The only way I have found to increase acc, is putting my body through resistance. Running up and down a soccer pitch or playing doesn’t provide you with the nessary restistance for that improvement.

I think about the Wheelbarrow effect like this, Kim Collins Vs Dwain Chambers, Paris 2003. Too much up top, i.e to many bricks in the barrow is what many considered Chambers downfall.

Big-Ron, I just hope you don’t train like Dwain Chambers, because I’m the Kim Collins… :smiley:

Thoughts…

Rock N Roll,

There is a difference between body building and lifting weights.

For every Kim Collins you mention, we could all mention an athlete who does lift weights (Ben, Linford, Michael Johnson, Jonathan Edwards, etc, etc) So that is not a good arguement.

And as for Carl Lewis - so why did he start to lift weights?

If you are right - why do the majority (if not all) Premiership teams lift weights???

Weights or no weights - there is more than one way to skin a cat - but, at the end of the day it is all about Organism Strength (please refer to this Topic for an indepth discussion).

My opinion on you - Cycling probably raised your GPP to a higher level than previously - so clearly you were going to improve. However, you will soon plateau if not alreay there. So the questions becomes how do you become better - and the majority of the members will agree you are going about it the wrong way.

Continue on this path and you will either plateau or regress.

There are alot of knowledgable people at this site, and I suggest you try and learn from their vast wealth of experience and knowledge.

Finally, Kim v Dwain. Who has the fastest PB. Yes Dwain does - so stop going on about Kim Collins (see the above).

Thank you Orrr, I keep trying to tell him that Kim Collins is not god and while he is fast and blessed really doesnt impress me that much. RNR I was saying special/specifc endurance is best trained that way, not acc., acc is best trained with short sprints, resisted sprints, and weights.

I couldn’t tell you…

There is a difference between body building and lifting weights.

Tell that to 90% of all sprinters participating in the 100m.

And as for Carl Lewis - so why did he start to lift weights?

Wasn’t it Carl Lewis who said, when I started to lift weights my times got worse???..

If you are right - why do the majority (if not all) Premiership teams lift weights???

I’d say 60% of premiership players are not very fast and the ones who do lift 99 times out of 100 have terrible stamina. One example being Jay Jay Okacha. I mean put it like this, have you seen the mass on his upperbody and on his legs. I have never seen him skin a player with pace. Its not just Jay Jay either, its almost everyone.

My opinion on you - Cycling probably raised your GPP to a higher level than previously - so clearly you were going to improve. However, you will soon plateau if not alreay there. So the questions becomes how do you become better - and the majority of the members will agree you are going about it the wrong way.

Continue on this path and you will either plateau or regress.

I have been getting quicker & quicker with the years. Cycling as never made me plateau because you can never ever push an easy enough gear for resistance. 3x a week my legs feel like I have just squated huge #'s, the only difference being I’m losing bodyweight, mass, but at the same time still increasing the strength in my legs and leg frequency from the hard gears.

Yeh I still say your 40 is bs

Numba put the beef away for 2 minutes. I’m your friend really :slight_smile: .

Granted, my 40’s are hand timed but I ain’t gonna purchase that timimg equipment from power systems for like $1000 just to record my exact 40 time, no way…

No beef, just saying you shouldnt be bragging to people that you run a hand timed 4.3…

I would be EXTREMELY suprised if Thierry Henry/Jesper Groenkjaer/Ruud van Nistelrooy/Pires dont lift a lot of heavy weights. They are all among the fastest players in Premier League and OF COURSE they lift!

Jesper Groenkjaer is the fastest player at Chelsea, but damn when he runs he looks so slow. He must be one of them guys that “Jumps”, because his leg frequency doesn’t look that scary to me…

I was wandering if anyone could answer me this question…

Why on earth would enhancing your chest muscles (Pecs) through bench pressing be beneficial to sprinting quicker???..

I can’t understand what role they have in increasung speed apart from adding unwanted mass.

the topic of the value of bench pressing to sprinting has been discussed several times, if you do a search youll find it, but you must see that lifting is not a muscular thing more than it is a neural thing, so bench pressing is just another stimuli to the cns.

Here we go again…[sarcasm] yes RnR, you are right if we all dropped down to 147 pounds or less, everyone would run faster. Especially if all the weight came off of the upper body. After all, the upper body has no role in sprinting, right? In addition, there is no role for non-specific movements in sprinting (other than riding a bike which is magically the optimal training modality for anyone who wants faster turnover) [/sarcasm]

Like numba said, try the search button, this has been discussed before.

I know for a fact Van Nistleroy and Pires lift - the others I’m almost certain - but I just don’t know for definite.

You never answered my first question … anyway - start here R&R …

http://www.charliefrancis.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=15

Here we go again…[sarcasm] yes RnR, you are right if we all dropped down to 147 pounds or less, everyone would run faster. Especially if all the weight came off of the upper body. After all, the upper body has no role in sprinting, right? In addition, there is no role for non-specific movements in sprinting (other than riding a bike which is magically the optimal training modality for anyone who wants faster turnover) [/sarcasm]

Xl, Just say your 6’0 and weigh 180lbs (Example). Your able to squat 350lbs and bench 280lbs. Now, if your weight dropped to 147lbs but you still could squat 350lbs and bench 280lbs, don’t you think you could accelerate your mass alot quicker than when you weighed 180lbs???..

Thoughts…

I know for a fact Van Nistleroy and Pires lift - the others I’m almost certain - but I just don’t know for definite.

You never answered my first question … anyway - start here R&R …

Well you just have to look at there physiques to realise they lift. I mean you don’t have to call up there agents enquiring whether they do or not. I have seen Nistelroy’s quads.

What was your first question???..

Have you read CFTS?

ok from a theoretical point of view yes, but in reality it doesnt happen that way. So your saying if mo green, ben johnson, linford christie, ato boldon, if they dropped some weight theyd be running faster? See I dont know why you wont accept that more weight in some cases is good, up to a point, because it increases your power to bodyweight ratio even though your bodyweight goes up. Ok you situation would be correct, but not realistic. Its all the more likely that the 180lb, if both had been training, a higher squat and higher acc.