Old Working Athletes

All of that can be done by sticking with 3-6reps without using %'s. If you perform wts after speed while using 3-6reps you should be ok.

why are you doing 300’s as tempo and not 100’s and 200’s? THAT would knock anyone around. :o

The total weights I referred to includes the circuits.

I wonder if the issue of struggling with tempo is a case of its irregular nature and high volume of each rep?

LKH,
with all due respect Willie Gault’s ability and lifestyle is not representative of most people approaching 50.

For tempo then, i would suggest a bit more circuit based workout - ie
run 100m (jog) - 10 push ups, run/jog 100m squat jumps/burpee/lunges etc, run 100m - sit ups, run 100m step ups.
Then rest n repeat for say 1min.
You can do Whatever exercises you want - mediballs, jumps, plyros - and inbetween you’re doing low intensity tempo runs.

It gets the heart rate going, But soooo much easier than 3 x 300m tempo pace on your legs.

Plus, saves a heap of time - Tempo and Circuit training all at the same time.

Re - John - i would do the 3rd HI day Weights after 1month of doing 2 for this reason - that HI weights is easier than HI Track. If HI weights knocks him around, then he simply pulls the plug on 3 HI days.
HI weights would be something like, 1 arm dumbbell snatches, power cleans, heavy benches, heavy deadlifts etc.
Plus - i believe RB is doing Football this coming season?

I haven’t ran in 2months, but I did toss away some good weight in today after completing 3wks of cad workouts.

The circuits takes no time, I can warmup, tempo, and circuit in about 60-70mins.

What’s the problem with 300 tempo? Just run it slow. I know Somesay lesser talented athletes shouldn’t do it maybe but seriously, just run it slow. Sometimes it helps mentally.
I say willies bench stats in a magazine. Don’t think that’s a secret. I have seen video and pics of bolt lifting along with other Racers guys. It’s all bodybuilding type shit, hammer strength stuff.

What’s the problem with 300 tempo? Just run it slow. I know Somesay lesser talented athletes shouldn’t do it maybe but seriously, just run it slow. Sometimes it helps mentally.
I say willies bench stats in a magazine. Don’t think that’s a secret. I have seen video and pics of bolt lifting along with other Racers guys. It’s all bodybuilding type shit, hammer strength stuff.

Don’t like snail pace tempo. Why don’t you try the hammer strength shit.

If you run 250s or longer slow, that’s because you’re not in shape yet, which is what you should expect after being off for a long time. You can run them as splits with short rest.

But there are reasons why all the top guys are running all those 300s these days, and it’s not because they don’t work.

I didn’t know that all the top guys were running 300’s? Also I don’t see the point of doing long tempo work if you are doing:

Mon:short speed
Tue: Tempo
Thur: Spec end 120-300
Fri: Tempo

The long spec end gives me everything and more then running 6x300 snail pace.

I personally think that the Jamaicans doing the long tempo is because if their large influence from Bud Winter and that tradition. The science doesn’t really back up long tempo I’m told but I think there may be soem type of condtitioning the body against fatigue in the upright position. Maybe. But Tyson doesn’t seem to be running long tempo he seems to do it more like breakdowns like Tellez or Smith, understanding that Smith does some long tempo for a bit.

I need to get after that hammer strength.

In Bolts book he says weights helps him with the last 20m of a 200.

I personally think that the Jamaicans doing the long tempo is because if their large influence from Bud Winter and that tradition. The science doesn’t really back up long tempo I’m told but I think there may be soem type of condtitioning the body against fatigue in the upright position. Maybe. But Tyson doesn’t seem to be running long tempo he seems to do it more like breakdowns like Tellez or Smith, understanding that Smith does some long tempo for a bit.

I need to get after that hammer strength.

In Bolts book he says weights helps him with the last 20m of a 200.

At our university our sprint coach is from Jam and I always see the sprinters running repeat 300-400’s. I should stop by his office to get more details.

nothing wrong with them if you are ready for them. I meant going from 0 tempo to running 300’s at 70-75% would knock anyone around.

Yeah that would be cool. I had heardthat guy was Jam somewhere.

They said he trained the national team.

I been on the CAD program the past three weeks, I have to say after performing skips-throws-buildups that I feel very powerful.

Mon:
Depth jumps 5x4
Jump squats (flat) 4x8x20%
clean 5x3
Squat 2x4x70
rdl 3x4

Thur:
Squats
Snatch 4x3
Jump squats (angle) 2x8x20%
Depth jumps 3x5
runner 3x10

Today for squats I did 6 warmup sets follow 405x3, 425x1, 475x1 easy. Gonna kick off a mod gpp on Monday:

Mon: 12x20
Tue: 3x300 rest 5mins
Thur: 12x20
Fri: 4x200 rest 4mins

You have any eligibility left? They could use you at rb.

Yeah true.

Really if you take Charlie saying BJ ran 7x300 tempo and look at the structure of his program it’s really very similar to Franno GPP. The long hills in a way sub for the split runs in a longer more drawn out GPP. I’m sure this has been discussed.

Of course every sprinter does overdistance. Even BJ and Donovan ran some 200’s even though both seemed to train mainly 150 and less.

Dan Pfaff does no tempo, whats your thoughts?