Using your model: quik sample

6wk hypetrophy: 3 weeks: 3x10/ 3 weeks:4x8

Session 1:
hc 12x2
bsq follow cycle
bp follow cycle

Session 2:
hc 12x2
dl 4x5 (keep reps low) I would perfer to squat here.
stepups 4x6 (if you sq, drop stepups and add rdl)
bp follow cycle

Max strength block 1
session 1:
hc 5x2
bsq 3x5
bp 3x5

session 2:
hc 5x2
bsq 3x5
bp 3x5

Power blk 1:
session 1:
hc 6x3
contrast full jump squats 3 sets per
bp 3x2x80-90%

session 2:
depth jumps 4x3
hc 6x3
sq 2x2x85
bp 3x2x80-90%

max strength blk 2:
session 1:
hc 5x2
bsq 4x3
bp 4x3

session 2:
hc 5x1
bsq 2-3x3
bp 2-3x3

Power blk 2:
session 1:
hc 6x3
contrast jump squats 3 sets per
bp 3x2x80-90%

session 2:
depth jumps 5x3
hc 6x3
sq 2x2x80
bp 3x2x80-90%

That’s brilliant tamfb. I really appreciate that. That covers 22 weeks. At the end of that, do I simply repeat? Also, do the 4 weeks strength, 4 weeks power being alternated sound ok? Can you please elaborate on the ‘contrast full jump squats 3 sets per’ please?

Thanks again.

will when i alt strength and power cycles i went str into my comp phase after the last block. 3-6 weeks good.

contrast jsq:

30% x5
rest 10-20sec
15% x5
rest 3-5mins
repeat 3-4 times.

also i think the power cycles work best if you perform depth jumps and jump squats.

curious why you want to alt strength and power blk

Ok cool. How would your comp phase look? I would take out the supplementary exercises and ave it look similar to a power phase, using hang cleans and bench mainly, maybe with the RDL still incorporated to maintain hamstring conditioning???

session1:
hc
bsq
bp

session 2:
hc
bp
rdl 2-3x5 (optional)

whats ur reason behind the strength and power blk?

Ummmm, I just feel I would benefit as an athlete if I could apply more power to the track, and I guess I strength as being a prerequisite. Is that what you meant?

Also, trying to give you a rep point, but not sure how to do it, if I can??

whats ur point of power work in the weightroom, you already doing the most powerful activity a human can perform which is sprinting not to metion ur jumps and throws.

To be honest, I got the idea from one of your posts in another thread, where you were talking about the power work you did.

ok kool, i was just curious. we decided to do the power work last yr bc my bro has a problem converting all his raw strength into power so we decided to alt the two blks. you may want to ask wrcortesse bc i put him onto a similar blk.

Not to hijack, but isn’t a hypertrophy phase into a max strength phase into a power phase just classical western periodization?

it is but once he get to ms phase he will alt between the two:

3 wk ms

3 wk power

3 wk ms

3 wk power

Ok, well if wrcortesse can chip in on this thread I’d appreciate that. I feel that I have the same kind of issues in terms of my strength, related to my acceleration on the track. I have hang cleaned 87.5kg for 3 reps comfortably, reckon I could go up to 92.5kg for it, at 80-81kg bodyweight. However, this year I ran only 7.71 for 60m! I don’t feel that reflects my strength. Of course I appreciate there are many technical factors that all contribute to performance. However, my top end speed is far superior to my acceleration. In 2006, I ran 7.54 and 11.4 (+3.0 wind). I also ran a couple of strongly headwinded 11.8s and 11.9s.

My point is I feel my strength and top speed/speed endurance are at a level far superior to my acceleration, so a power phase may help me there??

Sorry, I just have an additional question. I am assuming in the hypertrophy and the max strength phases I am lifting weights that I am just about failing on by the last rep. How about the power block though. What percentage should I set the weight at? Or how do I determine the correct weight?

Thanks again, tamfb.

Not to failure:

10 around 60-65
8 around 65-70
5 around 75-80
3 around 85%

I tend not to use %'s but let the track work tell me how much weight to use, so the %'s is only guidelines.

Similar to WS, as well as similar to Joe DeFranco’s WSFSB. I’ve toyed with concurrent programs for many years, and my lifters and athletes have had better success with it than standard periodization schemes. I know a senior D2 tightend who switched to WSFSB plus some accel and Max V work ala CF, and he has made more improvement in the last 4 months in speed, acceleration (40times) and vertical, not to mention set PB’s in every lift, than he did in the last three off seasons combined. I am a believer in a modified concurrent system, it seems to work better than the traditional periodization way of splitting power, strength, hypertropy etc. into distinct phases.

So the intensity in the power block isn’t any lower than in other blocks?

Tamfb, is this hypertrophy or power? IMHO, it looks to me that reps are too low for hypertrophy, and reps too high and % too low for power. For hypertrophy, reps need to stay between 8 and 12, for power 2 - 5 reps is good, even during early sets, but at least two sets in the 85%+ range, and one set in the 90%+ range, IMHO.

Ah, now we get into the “nitty gritty” training philosophies…
Is it possible to truly train for more than one attribute at a time?
Can our friend Maris train for both hypertrophy and max power (starting strength?) simultaneously?

In my opinion, the answer lies with Maris’ training status…how advanced in training age is he? How far along to being a candidate for master of sport? What are the training goals?

I deal with non-elite athletes on a daily basis. We have to train for all attributes year round…we’re just tweaking the emphasis as we go from training block to training block. I too believe that to focus primarily on mass would be a mistake, especially for a sprinter…Why not train for both simultaneously, as was mentioned above?

Good luck!

I agree fully. I think its a great idea to shift emphasis, even on a cyclic, periodized schedule. But IMHO, neglecting power and strength totally to work on mass is not the way to go. There are times when mass work can, and should be, neglected…power and strength training will help you keep most of the mass you’ve attained while you turn your new found absolute strength into functional strength and power.

How many days per week does Pfaff perform density cleans?