NFL's Fastest Man Competition

all these 40yd times are BS. deion sanders holds the combine record for the 40 with a 4.27 electronic. Deangelo Hall was timed at 4.15 at Va Tech but ran 4.37 at the combine electronic. he wasn’t even the fastest corner (duante Robinson ran 4.34). Joey Galloway ran 4.18 at OSU in college then ran a 4.31 at the combine. Delthea O’neal ran 4.34 at a college pro day and pulled a blistering 4.65 at the combine.

4.1 to a 12 flat is ridiculous, i think you may have run a 5.1…its just absurd, i haven’t run a 100 since high school and my best was a 11.0 junior year when i was running 4.7 on a good day.

Look tell yourself whatever you have to! I had really shitty speed endurance and after 60 I was beaten pretty bad! I know of 4 sprinters who I would beat on our track team for the 40m and then we would be very close at the 60m I might win somedays otherdays I would lose but the standard deviation in both the wins and losses were minimal at the 60m mark. In the 100 these same guys ran anywhere from 11.1 to 11.65. So yes it is possible and I am living proof of that! If you don’t believe me I will race you anytime as long as my knee pcl injury gets fixed and I don’t have any further problems. Worst case scenario is that the surgery (if I require any) will be done hopefully by September so that at the next indoor worlds in 2006 I will whooop your collective asses! :eek: :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW, at that time I weighed 192 and I was about 15-20lbs overweight with a BF% of 24. So that if I had speed endurance and a low BF I would have been under 11 guaranteed!

since we’re going on about the fastest 40, any idea if the quote charlie has at the very begining of this site about running a 3.7 40yrd in football was ever done or is it like a “sales pitch”?

It was done on a track timed by an Miami scout who was in To looking at some people. These times are always from first motion, so take it for what it’s worth- but remember how far clear Ben was of everybody early on in Seoul. Do you have a problem figuring he’s the fastest over the 40y as well?

yureskes,

finally, a realistic response about the reality of the 40 times.

if there was a man on the planet that could run below 4.2, we’d see him in the nfl im sure.

But then again, doesn’t Mo Greene have better times for the beginning of his sprints that Ben did (with ben catching up and beating him in the end :slight_smile: )?So maybe Mo is in the 3.6 range :wink:

Charlie, you say that he timed Ben on a track - any idea what Ben would have run on grass? Obviously not a 3.7.

Mo was running on different (harder and faster) surfaces than Ben was. Ben is still the fastest man ever to 30m and to 100m. Just ask your local Olympic 100m sprinter and if they are humble, they will tell you Ben is STILL the man.

well does anybody know who has THE fastest recorded 40yrd and what the time was? i need to know what i need to beat

j/k

all you gotta do is get your coach to exclaim, “holy mother of mary!”

They’re within a few hundredths so prob similar in the 40y. On the grass, I don’t have any idea. Depends on how firm and smoth the grass is.

From NFL.com

35 coaches and scouts showed up at TCU, including tight ends coaches Pat Jones from Miami and Steve Hagen from Cleveland. Scouts were not happy that the players wouldn’t run on the stadium field – it’s grass and the players would have been more protected from the wind. Another note, Bengals QB coach John Garrett acted as the quarterback at the drills. (Scouts said he looked great throwing the ball.)
Player Position Gil’s comments

Matt Schobel TE Schobel weighed in at 261 pounds. There was a strong, strong wind and on a tartan track, he ran 4.62 with the wind and 4.87 against the wind in the 40. He also had a 34½-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot long jump

NFL ATHLETES AS WELL AS DRAFTED ATHLETES AS FAR AS I CAN TELL TEST ON A TRACK NOT GRASS! THEY DO SO FOR THE COMBINE!

At the combine they test on astro-turf. It’s faster than grass, but not as fast as a rubber track. At pro-timing days at the individual colleges, it depends on the site. Some schools run on astro-turf, some on field-turf, some on tartan tracks. The scouts have conversion times for every surface (except field-turf) that they add to the times. So a 4.5 on field-turf is better than a 4.5 on astro-turf, which is better than a 4.5 on a tartan track.

Great post above by yureskes on the nfl combine times.

The Miami scout was testing on the Track in Toronto (the grass was of very poor quality in the infield). That’s why we jumped in- just for fun.

At the Pro Day at the U of Texas (I’ll post more pics this year) they run on turf. It mostly depends on the schools facilities.

Then it does not make sense for an athlete to get tested on a track? Yes yes we all know that the 3.7 40y time on a grass will be looked higher upon then a 3.7 on track but that’s the point! They will be comparing two different talent levels with the same time. So if I ran a 3.9 on grass or a 3.7 on a track, hell give me the 3.7 at least then I will beat out the guy who ran a 3.8 on grass!

I would give you 40 meters and still beat you in the 100! So since you ran 4.1 and your boys beat you in the 100 i guess they ran around 4.3. yea right. It seems to me your whole team has a speed endurance problem. I suggest you get a new coach. He either cant coach or he likes to lie about your times!

If Charlie will opine, where would Bob Hayes fit into this?

What can you say about a man who was so dominant that they had to change the entire game of football to contain him- zone vs man to man. Never was ANYONE as dominant speed-wise before or since

I fully concur on this! I believe this is where the idea of Zone defense started to take shape bc unless you had a headstart on Bob Hayes you were gonna get smoked and look pretty ridiculous at it too! Now imagine if Bob Hayes did some trash talking, can you imagine what they demeanour of the other team would be? Hell the might just disappear at halftime!

You were going to get smoked by Hayes even if you did have a head start! If he was dominant on the track, his unparalleled strength made him a spectre when everyone was carrying pads!
I saw him run down Olympic 200m Champ Henry Carr after an interception from what looked like a 20m deficit. Unbelievable!
Sadly,I never met Bob Hayes but I did get to meet Coach Landry when I did a consult with the Cowboys in the spring of 1988. Coach Landry had great respect and admiration for Hayes, and told me how a single player had revolutionized the game.