New Look Weights Program

Here’s my new look weights program. I’d like to hear some thoughts.

Session 1

• Power Cleans
  • Squats (90 degree knee bend)
  • snatch deadlift
  • Romanian Deadlift
  • One Leg Hyperextension

Session 2

• Bench
  • Seated Row
  • Dumbbell Shrugs
  • Chin Ups
  • Dips

Session 3

• Power Clean
  • Squats ( deep)
  • Bench
  • Romanian Deadlift
  • Standing Barbell Press

The sets and reps are would take too long to go through. The volume of each session isn’t that high but intensity is. What are peoples thoughts on the choice of exercises? Thanks.

To be honest I have not heard of Pascal in abput 4 months. He went away to train with Sam Bock in Montreal and pretty much left Coach Boutet and I behind.

However so far his indoor season has not been good (best of 6.81 on 60) and acording to himself his running technique has gotten really bad. He contacted us yesterday and it looks like he’ll be “back home”. I am conducting a VO2max, a lactate threshold, a Wingate and a power output series of test this Friday.

BTW, when he trained with us he did use the block structure I mentionned. Not the same exercises/sets/reps … but the same basic structure.

The choices of excercises are, IMO, very good. I would though find that volume of lifting crippling!

The consensus on this forum from a old thread on number of excercises per weights session was 2 +1. Two primary movements and one supplementry.

For example, why do snatch deadlift, RDL & One Leg Hyperextension’s in one session? How much work does your posterior- chain need? I would select ONE of the three and change that session to something like:

Session 1

• Power Cleans
  • Squats (90 degree knee bend)
  • Romanian Deadlift

I would make similar changes across the three sessions. But the devil is in the detail - do you lift after speed? how much volume of each lift?

I would cut the workout to 2x/wk to not compromise the track workouts.

Why are varying your squat depths? What cycle or phase are you in now?

I like what gf_200 is saying. If you do this much work and then add it to the sprinting and then add in the multi-jump/ med ball work you may do, that is a bit more volume than one would think. Keep it short and focus on making each lift’s execution proper and powerful :smiley:

jester

dude you are nuts!!! that first session is a monster!:baddevil::

during the season (football not track) i stretch my 7 days of work over 10 or 12 days. i dump the traditional 7 day training week and extend it to allow for recovery and quality workouts. it becomes a pain in the neck to track (there arent any 12 day week calenders out there i dont think) but i pays off later in the season.

why shrugs when you’re already doing an olympic lifting movement and deadlifts?

I agree with nightmare I wouldnt dare do that much workout load unless I had a world class recovery system which enabled me to do so.

I wouldn’t change the number of sessions (I’ve never understood why you’d want to do more less often rather than less more often). Why not prioritize the lifts overall and by session, using a 2 + 1 concept and then work on the numbers within. BTW, do you find any soreness associated with changing depths in your squat?

Firstly thanks for the imput. The reason I change up the squat angle is that I have previously had a knee injury as a result of hyper-flexion. Although I would like to use the deeper squats once a week to help with strength out of the blocks. The sets range from 2-6 and reps 1-6, but they are totally different for different exercises. eg For power cleans I might do 5 x 3 and for one leg hyper extension I might use 3 x 6-8.
When it is mentioned that you go by the 2 + 1 theory does that mean that you might do power cleans followed by squats followed by one leg hyperextension? In other words 2 core lifts and 1 assist lift? I recover from lifting quite well so that is the reason for 5 lifts per session. Thanks again.

If you embrace the concept of weights being supplementry to sprinting you will begin to appreciate how that number of excercises per session is not advisable.

Take “prioritize the lifts overall and by session, using a 2 + 1 concept and then work on the numbers within” as Gospel and begin dropping unneccesary excercises.

http://www.charliefrancis.com/board/philboard_read.asp?id=1544

…a good start :wink:

In the first session I had: Power Cleans, Squats, snatch deadlift, Romanian Deadlift and One Leg Hyperextension. If I cut that down to just Power Cleans, Squats and Romanian Deadlift could I throw in a plyometric exercise? If so what would be recommended?

It is best to structure excercises so that you are fresh for the most important components. This would imply sprint first after your warm-up to ensure the quality is there.

Plyos can be done after the sprint work. Keep the volume low and start with low intensity excercises with a progression onto higher intensities. A very low volume of plyos may also be done as part of the warm-up.

What are peoples thoughts in regards to sets and reps? If I do Power Cleans, Squat and RDL what would be the recommended volume?

I agree with what’s been said so far. It might be too much volume especially if you are having solid workouts on the track. I do not agree with cutting the frequency to 2x per week though. 3x is fine.

Here’s what I suggest:

Session 1

• Power Cleans from hang/blocks
  • Squats
  • Romanian Deadlift
  • One Leg Hyperextension

Session 2

• Bench
  • Seated Row
  • Chin Ups
  • Dips

Session 3

• Power snatch from hang/blocks
  • Front squat
  • Romanian Deadlift
  • Low incline dumbbell press

I’d recommend the following training blocks:

Week 1: 3 x 5 (80-85% of max)

Week 2: 3 x 5 (80-85% of max), 3 x 4 (85-90% of max)

Week 3: 5/3/2/5/3/2 (85% / 90% / 95% / 87% / 92% / 97%)

Week 4: Only 2 workouts, first one: 3 x 3(85-90% of max), second one 4 days later TEST on 3RM (bench press, squat, clean)

This is obviously only applicable to compound movements, the 1-leg back extension for example should be done for sets of 15-20 per leg.

Thanks Christian much appreciated.:slight_smile:

Jester,

please report back in 4 weeks and tell us how you got on. :wink:

nice post chris! im going to thry that myself come football season. good to see you checking back on us once and a while!

Chris
what tempo do you suggest for non-explosive exercises ?

Thanks

Well just reporting back to let you all know how the program Christian gave me has been progressing. The biggest thing I have noticed has been the increase in strength. For 4 reps this week I Cleaned 110 kg, Bench 125 kg, RDL 110 kg
and Squat 210 kg. I’m keeping a close eye on my weight. I don’t want to get too much heavier. My body fat is down to 7%. Things are going wellI’m not doing Snatches as my shoulder that I dislocated twice doesn’t approve.