neueral patterning/flying 20's

Charlie wrote:
Nueral Patterning requires only ONE episode…nueral patterning occurs when a certain speed is imprinted, i.e., a wind aided time which is later achieved w/o the wind.

Some thoughts questions:

1. is the wind aided time an indication that the nervous system is ready or indication of some future state of readiness. What I mean is does the wind-aided time tell us that the wiring and timign are already in place but the horsepower is missing? Or is it showing us that this is what the nervous system can be?

2. do you tend to rate PB’s higher based on the height of the stimulus (flying 10’s-flying 30’s) or based on the breadth (120m-300m test runs)? why? do you find that the physical and psychological recoveries are diff depending on which way you’ve gone. [Personally it seems that the mental recovery from the longer runs is easier]

Great question KT,

I would say that the message speed is their, but the contraction ability needs to catch up to the “Talent”.

When it comes to Muscle Work lets say force has nothing to do with velocity.

• Force depends upon the number of crossbridges attached.
  • Velocity depends upon the rate of crossbridge and (myosin) type.
    A wind aided time would show what kind of rate coding is there.

Kebba: Good questions
1:Agree with The One. The wind-aided performance indicates that the nervous system IS ready.
2: I never really though of that. As I didn’t have electronic timing to get a sufficiently accurate time on flying start, very short distances, I didn’t calculate anything based on them. I always used standing start times over 30, 60, 80, 100, 120, and 150m.
I think the height of the flying 20 might possibly be the better indicator, for, like the wind-aided time, it may be more dictated by nervous system patterning than by strength (which assumedly can be added).

Originally posted by Charlie Francis
I think the height of the flying 20 might possibly be the better indicator, for, like the wind-aided time, it may be more dictated by nervous system patterning than by strength (which assumedly can be added).

this is an often overlooked area. many coaches do the standard test but don’t interpret or break them down correctly. One of the places I’ve made a “killing” with sprinters is in looking at sprinters early fall (initial) fly tests and deciding where to go. It’s not so much the time that they run (although that is a very impt element also), but how they ran it. What were the 10m splits like. Were they even? Was there a big jump or decrease somewhere? What was the stride length/frequency relation like in their fastest segments? When did it occur (1st 10m, 2nd 10m, last 10m). What were the ground and air times like during each 10m?

between the flying sprints and other power tests (jumps and throws, and lifts – even though we usualy don’t lift test until several weeks later) you can get a very good profile of the athlete’s qualities, what to build around, where they can be dominant.

I would prefer to use a “flying 20” which is the practical limit over which top speed can be maintained. What distance are you using for the run-in to the “flying 30”? Obviously, this will influence the results in the various 10m segments (a short run-in will guarantee segment 3 is fastest, while a long run-in wil guarantee a drop-off in segment 3) Also the level of the athlete will influence the results even using the same run-in. These runs do give you an opportunity to view an athlete’s limits and technique more often than by more traditional means.