Nearly passed out after training

Yesterday, i done a real hard session. on the way home, i had to pull over due to feeling dizzy and came very close to passing out. Some lady had to call for an ambulance. Then i had to stay in hospital over night. Seems factors leading to it were. 1. dehydration, was very hot and had no water to drink during session. 2. lack of warm down after finnishing, seems, when i was driving i was breathing very hard for a while, which caused me to hyperventerlate, made me very dizzy and the effects of training were still running in the blood, caused me to collapse. All this caused, high blood suger, high blood pressure, low body temp alternating high temp. And by chance, they happened to find a heart murmer. They took xrays, seems fine, ecg, showed a heart murmer but seems fine. Have to book into for some more tests to make sure the murmer is fine. Has anybody had any experience with heart murmers in athletes before. Im like 29yrs old and this is the first time i have been told i have a murmer. Seems strange.

ugh that can’t be good. I use to almost passout after workotus and throwup alot with my old coach. cause he was a dumbass

I hope everything alright. What was your workout?

2 * 200m on grass track. towing a 15kg sled. Was a pretty hot day, around maybe 31degrees. Getting pretty fast on that now, and its smashing me a lot so might just cut it back to one 200m. Took me like a month to be able to run 200m. Clocking time of around 31.8sec. This i must say, be easily in the top 3 hardest ever sessions i have done. Coming from running 800’s, i have certainly come across darn hard sessions. Tis time to back of it a bit, 1 200m will do. My goal is to run 1 in under 30sec. Am also on a fat loss diet too. Not real hard, just cutting ice cream, chocalete, cakes and so forth out of the eating plan.

Mate, I work in a cardiology department in a hospital. First of all a heart murmur cannot be identified from an ECG, you must have had an ectopic beat.

They must have heard the murmur whilst listening to your heart through a stethoscope. If the physician was worried about this they would have reffered you for a cardiac ultrasound scan or echocardiogram to help identify the source of the murmur

Alternatively if you are worried, I would suggest you ask to be reffered for an echocardiogram.

Hope this is of help.

Further to my earlier post, a heart mumur is mainly caused by a leak in one of your heart valves. Many people have some minor leak in one or more of their heart valves, classed as a “functional” leak which doesn’t cause any problems whatsoever. I myself have tiny leaks on my Mitral and Tricuspid valves which have caused me no problems whatsoever in my 15 years of training for sprinting.

Incidently, in his autobiography, the former British 400m runner Rodger Black admits to having a small leak in one of his heart valves for which he has an annual cardiacultrasound to asess the progress. By the way, his record of Olympic silver medal, behind MJ’s gold, p.b. 44.38 British record, European Gold medal 2 0r 3 times, commonwealth Gold, European Junior Gold, Worl Silver, shows in cant have done him any harm!

I suggest that your dizzy spell may have been caused by LOW, not high, blood pressure (effects of dehydration), LOW blood sugar (hard training and dieting), possibly tachycardia (fast heart rate) and if you were truly hyperventillating the effects of hyperventilation are to make the blood concentration of carbondioxide too LOW and the concentration of the oxygen in your blood too HIGH, which can cause the effectsof dizziness. A good remedy for this is the old fashioned breath into a sealed bag to increase the concentration of carbon dixide in your blood, or alternatively (easier said than done) make a dtermined effort to really slow your breathing down.

An exercise stress test, where a patient is hooked up to an ECG and exercises on a treadmill with steadily increasing gradient and speed, to assess the ECG and blood pressure response to exercise may also be used in this sort of investigation.

Why were you towing a 15kg sled 200 meters? What sport are you getting ready for?

I was about to ask the same question. Is there a need to toy a 15kg sled for 200m;s? We’ve never done sled pulls over 20m’s and that was all in gpp

basically, i have never heard of towing a sled that far either. Hence the attempt, if no one has tried before, maybe somebody can try as an experiement to see if any justifacation for its use can be found. Hopefully i can attempt some time trials next weekend pending on weather, i finally get to a tartan track next wkend. Honestly, i beleive some P.B’s are in order. Mainly i beleive, i will be able to hold top speed for a longer distance.

Thanks JohnG109, i will pass that onto a dr when they organise a time for me to visit. Hopefully they have that kind of equipment here so i dont have to travel like 7hrs to get to the equipment.
Once the ambulance got to me, they gave me oxygen, they said i was breathing very shallow and fast. Oxygen took like 30sec to a minute and i became heaps better. blood pressure tests and heart rate monitor showed elevated values. Took 3hrs for blood suger level to drop from 11.4 - 13 down to 6. Whatever those values mean, but they were worried for a while i might have diabeties, till it dropped to 6. Took about 2hrs for blood pressure to drop to low values. Had to drink like 2litres of water in 2-3hrs.
When i see the dr next, will ask your questions. Thanks.

IMO, the biggest mistake you made was not drinking water. You need to be drinking water no matter what, probably a minimum of 2 litres per workout in hot conditions, doing a hard lactic workout like the one you’re doing.

definately

It seems that towing a sled that long for that amount of time would have no specific carryover to speed developement or speed endurance. It also seems that towing a sled for that long would alter your sprinting mechanics negatively.

Well, we will see in a week wont we.
Looking for a “camel back” or similiar to take to training

I agree that it was the not drinking water. You never know how much water helps until you don’t drink any during a tough workout! Believe me, back when I played basketball, preseason conditioning was RIDICULOUS and we were not allowed water. Needless to say, I was throwing up after each session (and during) and kids were getting hurt.