Myofascial Stretching

I thinks its an extremely useful resource, I think the focus on the many muscle functions is vital.
The integration of it in a program is the next challenge and for me it has many implications from a rehab consideration.

Guys, I’m OT, but 2 days ago I’ve received the book Stretch to Win (Ann Frederick), I’s beautifull!!!

She explains about basic PNF (CR or CRAC) but in very light fashion (25-50% of isometric strength), joint traction for muscle flexibility, monoarticular and biarticular muscles and who stretch for first, basic matrix (whole body) stretch, more stretching picture (basic stretch), protocols…great!

A must to have!

I’m still working my way through it, but I definitely agree that it’s one of the best books published on the subject. I especially like the fact that it has an entire chapter at the beginning devoted to the fascia and its importance.

Probably the highlight of the book that really separates it from the pack is the section on evaluating your personal flexibility needs and customizing a stretching program based on this evaluation. This was one area that we did not cover during Voyer’s stretching course.

Good point, I agree.

Another vote for the Stretch to Win book. It has a multitude of manual stretches that are news to me and work very well for loosening up the hips.

Are the stretches meant to be held for the advised number of breaths ie 3, or should the user stretch on the exhalation and return to the starting postion on the inhalation?

Thanks

I don’t remember Guy getting into the specifics of matching breathing with the stretches, other than the importance of continuing to breathe and relaxing. There can be a tendency when you first practice the stretches to tighten up and hold your breath. You can’t stretch if you’re tense. That seems obvious but most people strain when they stretch.

However, I don’t think it’s practical to apply Ann Frederick’s pulsing approach to Guy’s stretches, simply because there are so many counter actions that have to be performed at once. It’s hard to come in and out of the stretches in an even, rhythmic manner.

When using Guy’s stretches, you’re performing several counter actions for each muscle at once, which requires you to actively contract all of the antagonists of the target muscle, which can be extremely tiring. As you practice the stretches, your coordination improves and it becomes easier to activate the antagonists with less effort, and the target muscles improve their mobility, so you’re not fight against as much resistance.

Sorry Flash, I meant the Ann Frederick stretches

I believe Ann’s approach is more of a gentle pulsing rather than an extended hold. You’re not really coming all the way back to the starting position, but rather gently moving into and out of deeper range. The speed of the pulsing is matched with the speed of the breathing. The pre-workout stretching and breathing is performed with a faster rhythm than the post-workout stretching. It’s kind of hard to describe in words. I have a video of a presentation she did at SWIS a few years agon where she demonstrates the gentle pulsing. It’s not complicated, but video is worth a thousand words. I believe she’s also working on a DVD for Human Kinetics. It’s listed in the back of the book, but I couldn’t find it on their web site yet.

Thanks, have just received my copy, just skimming it at the moment. I find the bit about opening the hip region up first interesting, similar to Charlie’s ideas in getting freedom of movement in the hips, rotational stretching and stretching the hip region before the hamstrings.

The only thing I take exception to in Ann’s book and Guy’s stretching course is the stretching of the low back/spine (except the ELDOAs, which I really like). I think Stuart McGill’s argument against lower back stretching is pretty strong, and he has the data to back it up.

That is publsihed in one of his books is it or an article?

I tried the link, but couldn’t get it to work. Could you repost it or do I need to try something else?

It’s in both of his books: Low Back Disorders and Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance. There are also a couple interviews with him on T-mag that touch on it but not in too much detail.

I just tried it and it worked for me. I honestly don’t know why it wouldn’t work for you. PM me your email and I can just send you the PDF.

When I get the time (laugh) I might write a follow up article that goes a little more into depth about how the stretches are reverse engineered based on the kinesiology. It’s less about instruction than understanding the methodology, so I will probably only include a couple examples, but I’ll try to use examples that show how muscle actions are usually much more intricate than commonly described.

Flash

You should ask the folks at Sutherland if we can get a better rate, we are promoting their seminar. $950 is nuts.

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com

Actually, that’s a good point. You might want to contact Paul DeAngelis and see if you can work out a special deal for CF.com forum members if you get enough people to sign up.

I think the course tuition is half price if you take it again, which a lot of people do because there’s so much to take in in such a short period. It can be overwhelming by the time you get to the last day.

FYI, I just came across the table of contents of the 3rd edition of Warren Hammer’s book of soft tissue treatments, and there is a chapter on ELDOA written by Guy Voyer. I haven’t read the book so I don’t know how completely the chapeter covers the ELDOA system. But the hard core guys here (particularly therapists) might be interested in checking it out if you can’t make it to one of Guy’s seminars. Apparently, the 3rd edition isn’t due out until the fall.

http://alliedhealth.jbpub.com/catalog/0763733105/table_of_contents.htm

You can contact them, I’m dont see value in promoting this if it doesn’t benefit our members. Your post, your responsiblity. Thx.

Rupert