My athletic training journal (WSFSB+VJB)

Yes but as of now I am not playing too much basketball, but If i feel my recovery is lacking I will cut most likely the ME lift for a week or so just to recover, but with PNF stretching, foam rolling ect I feel im recovery pretty decent (72 hours between ME legs and dynamic day and another 48 hours till KB VJB plyos)

Ya man. That’s what i was kind of saying too. You can try mixing them, it might work, it might not. But what are you trying to get out of them? RFD? Reactive strength? If it’s explosive, I would just do some high-quality box jumps or broad jumps etc. If reactive, drop or depth jumps, flying sprints etc. Or you could just follow KB’s entire program for the six weeks. Because you know that is a guarantee.

Well my overall goal is to improve not one specfic thing, but the reason I am trying to do more plyos than lifting is because I need to become more reactive overall, with my squat/box squat strength I should be jumping higher both running and standing- basically have done a lot more lifting than plyo work so gotta do some good plyos, yes i will try to finish KB 12 week plyo program- i am currently on week 3(every 3rd week is of a lower rep/set week and the last week in the cylce of exercises)…thanks alot for the help everybody

If you wanted to improve reactive strength i would probably start with 3-4 weeks of general jumps and then from there alt between depth drops and depth jump. Another thing that has work for my athletes is alt between strength and power blocks (block training)

VJB Intermediate plyos week 3 day 1 + SE Lower day

Decent warmup on carpeted surface then went to gym to workout

Bent over straight leg ankle bounces 3x30

1-2-3 jumps- 3 sets(1 legged jumps), last set grabbed/touched rim everytime with left hand and touched it ok with right

Ryhthmic 1/4 jump squat 3x6 hands behind head

Low Box Depth jump 4x5, last 2 sets touched rim a couple and also jumped to approx 9 10.5

20 yard sprints- 4 reps on bball court

Low Squat Ankle jumps 3x40, hands behind head

Parallel Squat- worked up to 275x3, tried to go slightly below parallel

Revere Hyperextensions- 50lbs 2x6, BW 3x10

Tried my own version of a contrast shower after- 3 mins in hot shower and then put one leg in garbage full of cold water for 30s-1m and 3 rounds of this, legs were real red after this but hopefully this method works for me

Overall would give workout a 7, was not jumping as high as I would like in my 3rd week but I still had some quality work.

Rep upper

Deadhang Pullups- 1x14
Dbbell bench- 60lbs 3x10

Lat Pull down- 140lbs 3x10
Face Pull- 85lbs 3x10

Lateral Raises- 15lbs 3x10

Curls-SB 75lbs 3x10
Band Tric Pushdowns 3x20 (green band)

Would give it overall a 7, not that focused or intense of a workout

New variable has come into play, coach wants me and a couple of my training partners to run the 4x100, wants us to practice 3-4 times a week mainly short sprints and working on handoffs and run in the meets obviously, should not effect schedule to much because we will be down everyday at 4 and able to go to the weightroom, main goal is for this not to intefere hardly at all with my training for vertical jump, only benefit i can see is will burn a some extra calories and get spinting in which can lower my bodyfat/weight which will make me leaner and hopefully more explosive and quicker, since all of the knowledgable people on here, any thoughts on how i can manipulate what i am currently doing with my new track obligations?

VJB Intermediate plyos week 3 day 2

Bent over straight leg ankle bounces 3x30

1-2-3 jumps- 3 sets, hit head off roof(soft tile roof in bottom floor roughly 8ft3in) solid with right leg, nipped head off roof with left leg (touching roof is approx 29 inches) this is good since my 1 leg used to be worse

1/4 jump squat 3x6 done with barbell 65lbs, will try to do this on my second plyo days

Broad Jumps- 3x5, was getting decent for once, close to 9 feet on some jumps

Low Box Depth jump 3x5, hit head off roof solid a few and nipped it a few

20 yard sprints- cut it out- will be sprinting some tommorow

Low Squat Ankle jumps 3x40, hands behind head

Last day of phase 1 so plyo workout is a different one on thursday

Would give it an 8, finally was getting up decent, hopefully make some better gains the next phase

ME Lower

warmup done outside and consisted of a couple 40m 80% sprints for handoff work then inside did 3x14 TKEs

Box Squat- worked up to 405x3!!, new PR, got it nice, very pleased with these results and the constant breaking of PRs, hopefully by the end of June i can get 455+

Stepups with 55lbs dumbells and knee drive - 3x6
SE trapbar deadlift off 4inch box- 5x1 last 3 sets at 325lbs

Glute ham raise- 3x6
Pull Throughs- 3x6

Overall great workout, got a PR and was very intense, def a 9

ME upper (and track)

Had a little 4x1 practice first which consisted of a couple 80% 40m or so sprints into handoff and one or two pretty close to full speed, so this along with a warmup and i was ready

Bench- worked up to 275x1, went for second attempt but got it half way and failed, still not too disapointed, hopefully in 3 weeks i can get it 3 solid times

Dbell incline bench- 80’s 3x8, hard lift

Wide Grip seated row- 3x10 with 180lbs, 200lbs last set, should be at that from now on
ScareCrow- 3x10 30lbs

Dbell shrugs- 3x20 seconds 50lbs

Overhead tricep extensions- 50lbs 3x10
Hammer Curls- 40lbs 3x10

good PNF stretch after shake and shower

overall solid workout, give it an 8, hopefully get some more improvement on my board press next week

Well had a track meet today, ran the 4x1 2nd leg but the third leg started to early and ran out of the exchange zone, thus we were DQed and my team lost the first meet in 3 years, but also got in some good PNF stretching

VJB intermediate plyos phase II week 1 day 1+ SE lower

Good warmup on field with some quick PNF style streching

4-star drill-3x10

Lateral cone jump 3x10, over small box

1 leg step-up jump 2x8 per leg

Power Skipping 2x40 yards, felt good and high on these

Medium box depth jump (box around 18 inches) 2x5, on turf

30 yard sprints - 4 spirnts, two on turf and two on track

Double leg Bounding- 1x25 yards,hands behind head felt weird but good finisher

10 minute break and then weights-

Parallel Squat- worked up to 315x3 (legitely parrallel)

Bulgarian Split Squat Isometric holds- 20 seconds hold and 10 reps, 2 sets, hard as hell but solid

50 rep rhythm squats- 245 one set, nice and hard

Reverse Hyper Extensions- 20 pounds 3x8, weak but was dead so still a challenge

Laying Ball hamstring curls- 3x8

would great workout, a little hard and time consuming but still solid, would give it an 8

PNF style stretching at night

REP upper

good warmup outside, 8 or so tempo runs of about 30 yards(handoffs)

Tricep Death- 5 reps per board(1,2,3,4) 185lbs 3 sets, last set on four board finished out at 7 reps, first day ever doing them, saw them on Defranco youtube video, great exercise truly kills triceps, hopefully will help 185 rep test next week so i can hit that 20 mark

Pullups deadhang- 3x6
Seated Dbell powerclean- 25lbs 3x8

Lateral Raises- 25lbs 3x10
Curls- 75lbs 3x10

Cycling off of creatine for 2 weeks(have been on for 8 weeks 10g workout days 5g non

VJB intermediate plyos week 4 phase II day 2 (altered)

decided to cut the majority of the Submaximal jumps out and the sprints out sine A) i played 2 or so hours of basketball earlier B) was not feeling very fresh at all(couldnt jump to well during games plus pre/post workout

quick warmup including some ROM work

4 star drill- 3x5, done mainly for a warmup

Powerskipping- 40 yards, 1 rep, felt significantly higher when i did them the first day, still a great exercise for 1 leg jumping improvement

1 leg step up jumps- 2x16, decided to change it up and do them in a alternating factor like prescribed in the Air Alert Vertical program

Depth jumps med box- 2x5, was hitting head off roof like i was off the small box, but not too much of a worry since was not at peak whole day and couldnt hit head off roof standing like i did the other day and barely could running

Little sluggish of a workout but i got out of it what i could, hopefully ready for solid ME leg day monday

Also, need to start incorporating a lot more SPP work, esp since it is nice out can play more games but still need to drill/play indoors as well…

Parallel Squat 355x3

Single leg squat 1 dumbell- 75lbs 3x6, dumbbell held on back leg side

Stiff Leg Deadlift- 165lbs 3x6

Ab pushdown 50lbs

Squat jumps- 75lbs 3x4

2 steps and jump- (BW) x4 (Adaptation)

Will try to do squat jumps and 2 steps and jumps every ME day increasing 5 lbs each week, also will do 4 single leg 3 step jumps after SE day

ME upper

decent warmup and some tempo run handoffs

3 Board Bench- worked up to 300lbsx2, close on third attempt but no, def could have gotten 295x3 but felt like getting 300 up, have been getting great results in my workouts in terms of benching(did 275x3 3board 4 weeks ago), hopefully can get 315x3 on 4 board next.

Iso metric resisted hold bench 135 pounds, 6 seconds, 5 reps, 6 seconds, 3 reps, 6 seconds, 1 rep- one series

Dbell Incline- 80lbs 2x10

Bent Over Row- done with thick bar and two purple bands- 3x10
Scarecrows w/ blaststraps- BW 3x10

Shrug hold- 3x30 seconds with resisted thick bar

Have jumped up a lot in lifts, part bench and squat/box squat so hopefully this will result in better vert soon but maybe i dont know i need to alter some things in my program possible go off of ME work for awhile??

VJB Plyos Phase II week 2 day 1

4 star drill- 3x10, good warmup exercise similar to ankle jumps

Lateral cone jump 4x4 did over med box so cut down volume

1 leg step-up jump 3x8 per leg

Power Skipping 2x40 yards, felt good and high on these again

Medium box depth jump 3x3 touching goal post 3 depth jumps into two hurdle jumps on the turf

30 yard sprints- 5 of them, felt decent on these

Double leg Bounding- 1x25 yards

hydrate and eat for about 10 mins

SE low box squat(crate slightly below parallel) worked up to 265x3

Reverse Hyper 3x8 50lbs
On ball hamstring curls- 3x8

Isometric Squat resisted hold- 6s 4reps 6s
Med depth jumps- 4 reps, done 2-3 minute after squat, good adaptation

Rep upper

185lbs bench press- 21 reps(PR) shattered my previous PR last late spring of 19, also improved 4 reps from 3 weeks ago which means I am definitely doing sometihng right in terms of upper body , will test 225 bench next week and my next goal is to get that up to 14 reps

135lbs bench press 25 reps then next set 18 reps

Lat pull down- 160lbs 3x8
Face Pull 70lbs 3x8

nice to get a New PR, gotta start seeing those PRs on Vert now…will cut out ME leg work the next two weeks and do two plyo/SE days, also will greatly reduce volume on Plyos tommorow so i can get nice and recovered for the next two weeks.

Alright well decided to take the weekend totally off and skip VJB plyos Phase II week 2 day 2 in order to give my body some proper rest after 5 weeks of doing one lifting day and two plyo work days. Hopefully can recover well and be fresh for monday(will do soem vert testing) also will be doing two plyos/SE leg lifts next week for a little variaiton and to get away from all the ME strengh for a bit considering the dynamic stuff is what I really lack.

VJB Plyos Phase II week 3 day 1

4 star drill- substitued for a couple of sets of pogo jumps

30 yard sprints- 4 reps, 3 down on track

Lateral cone jump- cut out due to standing and running verts at rims

1 leg step-up jump 3x8 per leg

Did some standing/running rim touches and standing/3 step vertec touches

Depth jump 3x4 then last set of two reps, 2 sets touching rim(not quite touching but was 3-4 inch higher box than before), and a set touching vertec(approx 9 9)
Single Leg depth jumps- 4 reps per leg off of approx 4 inch box or so, will do these on my plyo days from now on but cut last set of either depth jumps or box jumps in half and gradually increase box only to about 18 inches, goal is too do a little more to improve one leg jumping

Power Skipping- 2x40 yards

Double leg Bounding- 1x25 yards

SE parallel squat worked up to 315x3

Reverse Hyper 3x8 70lbs

Squat Jumps- 3x4 95lbs, going a tad below 1/4
3 step and jumps- 4 reps

Was jumping pretty poorly, only standing touch like 9 10 tops and 3 step only about 10-1, weird part is could grab rim easy 3 step, so either rim is wrong or vertec is wrong but hopefully cutting out ME legs for these next two weeks and doing plyos/SE will improve my explosive strength and reactivity and also allow for more CNS/body rest since i will be cutting out the 3rd day of leg work and allowing more SPP time, if no improvement will change program somehow.

Max Effort Upper body

4 Board Press- worked up to 315x3(PR), then stubbornly got 325x2

Dbell Incline- 80’s 3x10

Blast Strap Pushups-3x8

Shrugs- 30’s 3x20seconds
Hammer curls- 30’s 3x10 (right after shrugs)

did some good PNF stretching and ab work at night