My athletic training journal (WSFSB+VJB)

VJB intermediate plyos Phase II week 3 day 2

Good dynamic/ROM and PNF warmup

Started off with a game of 3 on 3 (was not playing to good in this and lost, need to start playing a lot more and working on SPP work)

two foot and one foot rim grabs- a bunch of them, felt real good and grabbed the rim a bunch of times solid, got it decent off of right foot two(left hand) just not with right hand but oh well, best I felt on rim for awhile bust still couldnt get any dunks with volleyball or real ball, part of way i was feeling i think was due to playing that pick up game i always get ready to jump

Tried Iso stim method variant(thanks to Adarqui), did one 15 second hold on back raise no weight, one 10 second with 35lbs, one 10 second with 45 lbs, came back down felt real good and threw down a volleyball(first time ever-PR), great feeling and finally good to see some results

Depth jumps off low box- 3 reps, touched rim on them

Single leg depth jumps- 2x4 (alternated) off of 4 inch platform, should help me improve that one legged jumping for exlosive layups and hopefully dunks, will try to incorporate most plyo days and eventually go off of higher box and jump over obstacle or touch a target

SE lower

Low box squat(lower than last time)- 3x3 with 225lbs

Good mornings- 3x6 135, trying to explode up on toes at top

Isometric Squat resisted hold- 6s-4r-6s
Depth jumps (2 mins or so after)- 4 reps medium box

Overall great work out, weighed in a nice and light 184 after, probally due to me cutting out the prebed protein shake plus i have been off creatine for awhile, feel with more days of plyos and SE(no ME) squatting will start seeing great resuluts, will keep it this format for probally into the begining of summer

PNF and abs at night with 2x25 per leg on calf raises

REP upper

Good warmup including a couple tempo run and some med ball throws

225lb bench press test- 11 reps(PR, best before was 9), second set 8 reps

205lb bench press test- 10 reps

Pullups- 3x7
Face Pulls 70lbs 3x10

Lateal Raises= 15lbs 3x10
Hammer Curls- 15lbs 3x10(per arm)

Played a pick up full court game outdoors(won) and played some PIG lol, did decent with a couple light jumps grabbing rim easy, still gotta start shooting especially every day after I lift upper, will start picking up basektball work now

Some good Foam rolling and stretching later

VJB phase III week 1 day 1+ SE Lower

Decent warmup including some one leg line jumps and TKEs

Hurdle Barrier Jumps- with 2 and a half step lead in- 12 reps, 42 inches

Defranco weight release jumps- 8 reps, over 42 inches, 10lb dumbbell

Depth jumps- 2x5, med box

1 leg depth jump- off of 4 inch platform over hurdle- 10 total (5 per leg), last 2 reps hurdles 30 inches

Parrallel Squat- worked up to 2x3 of 315

Reverse Hyperextensions- 3x10 70lbs

Squat Jumps- 3x4 with 100lbs
3 Step and jump as high as possible- 4 reps

Is the weight release where you do a jump with the weights in your hand and then upon landing, let them go and explode up? What was the 42 inches?

Yea jump land let go off weight and jumped over 42 inch hurdle…

ME upper 4/29

Bench- worked up to 275x3 (PR), 2 rep improvement in 3 weeks time so not bad, will get 300x1 next week to finally get to the elusive 300lbs

Dbbell Floor Press- 90’s 2x8, 100’s 1x7, good stuff

Seated Row- 200lbs 3x8
Scarecrows- 42.5 3x8

Shrugs- 315 3x8, first time did barbell for awhile

Some AB work and flexiblity work at night

Plyos+SE Lower 5/1

Did not have access to the college gym where i usually jump pretty well at nor to the back raise so that was a disapointment but did some work in the school gym

did a moderate warmup and then played a couple games of 50

One legged rim grabs- did a bunch, better off of right leg still did not get down the volleyball though, got work on speeding up approach

2 leg rim grabs- did a bunch, got one or two weak volleyballs down but then got a fairy dunk off the backboard with a mens ball, went in but not clean, but still pretty sweet though, more work to do one approach

1 leg depth jumps- 5 per leg, done off of about 7 inch height(platform+small crate)

Low box squat- 225lbs 2x3, 275lbsx3, done off of crates and pad approx 14 inches high, maybe a little bit higher than last week

Single leg squat off platform- 40lbs 3x6
Good Mornings- 155lbs 3x6, pretty hard will keep weight next week, tried to explode up

“Defranco Style” Calf Raises- w/ one 45lb dumbbell 3x6 per leg, done off of box and foot hanging completely off not touching floor

Isometric Resisted Squat holds- 6s-4r-6s 205lbs
Low Box Depth jumps- 5 jumps

some good foam rolling, PNF stretching, and ab work at night

hardest leg day for awhile, will have plenty of rest it being prom weekend so hopefully come back strong monday and show some real improvement next thursday in the gym, getting a ball off the backboard clean

REP upper

Shot and played some light ball 2 on 2, tried to dunk a couple times butt would usually lose ball was getting up good though especially off of right leg, def feel the one leg depth jumps have been helping my one foot jumping

225lbs for one set of like 11 or 12, i dont know spotter helped me early no big deal

Pullups- only a couple of these

finished with some pushups

kept it real light on upper body and just shot some more

Got in some AB work and some good Foam Rolling, man does that hurt when you do enough of it, especially on IT band, thats it for the weekend, hopefully come back jumping strong monday.

Plyos A (week 8) + SE Lower 5/5

20 yard sprints- 2 sprints best time 2.95 (not too good)
40 yard sprints- 2 sprints

Barrier Jump with 3 step lead in (onto high jump pit) 42inches- 3 reps, 46 inches- 3 reps, 48 inches 3 reps, 50 inches 1 rep (missed first 2 attempts), hip flexor flexiblity is not my strong point but still good work

Depth jumps med box- 3x4 touching the goal post

Power skipping- 1x40 yards

1 leg depth jumps off 6 inch box- 4 reps at 32 inches, 4 reps at 34 inches, 2 reps at 36 inches

Parrallel Squat- worked up to 315x2 (did not feel like pushing it too much)

Step ups w knee drive- 60lbs 3x6
Reverse Hypers- 90lbs 3x6

“Defranco” hanging calf raises- 45lbs 3x8

Squat Jumps- 105lbs 3x4
3 steps and jump- 4 jumps

some PNF, light shooting/drilling and then Foam rolling at night

ME Upper

Bench- worked up to 285x1 (failed at 300, will get it in 3 weeks)

Dbbell Floor Press- 100s 3x6

Seated Row- 220lbs 3x8
Face Pull- 100lbs 3x8

Upright Row- 85lbs 3x8

Some shooting then ABS, strech, foam roll and dribbling work (stationary and 1 ball walking)

Maximal Jumps+ SE lower

Did a decent dynamic/PNF warm up

rim grabs one footed and 2

Iso stim poor mans version- held legs on bench 30 seconds

dunked volleyball pretty easily one footed and two footed

Iso stim method poor man with manually resist

dunked a few times again, touched approx 10.4 or so on backboard(measured)

1 leg depth jumps 8 inches 10 total reps

Low Box Squat worked up to 3x2 at 275

Split Squat 3x4 40lbs
Good Morning- 155- 3x6

Hanging Calve Raise 45lbs 3x8

Iso resisted squat hold 225 6s 4r 6s
Depth jumps med box- 4 reps

Rep upper

warmup

Pull ups- 16 (PR- will next time do complete deadhang)

Neutral Grip pullups 2x4

On ball dbbell bench press- 75lbs 2x10

Straight arm pulldowns- 50lbs 2x10

Seated Dumbbell Power cleans- 2x4 30lbs
Hammer curls- 2x8 30lbs

pretty light workout, will play some ball hopefully tommorow

ME upper 5/12

3 board press- worked up to 315x1(PR) and previously 295x3(slight PR)

Dumbbell Bench Press- 90s 3x8

Inverted Row Blaststrap with weighted vest- 3x10
ScareCrow blastrap with weighted vest- 3x10

Shrug- 315lbs 3x10

did some shooting/drilling/half court playing

Will be changing up the work week to better fit in a high-low sequence soon to possibly look similair to this

Monday- Plyo Lower+SE lower or ME lower/good basketball (High)
Tuesday- REP upper/drilling and shooting (Low)
Wednesday- Active recovery/light shooting no jumping (Low)
Thursday- Maximal Jumping and dunking+SE lower/ ball(high)
Friday- Active recovery/light shooting and or playing (low)
Saturday- Play basketballin AM /ME or SE upper( (High)
Sunday- totally off

Plyos+SE Lower (week 9 of plyo work)

Warmup

Some warmup barrier jumps of about 42 or so inches with 3 step lead in

Broad Jump into long jump pit- did about 5, best mark being 9 feet .5 inches, sucks into the pit I feel may hip flexor flexiblity/hip extension needs a lot of work for this

Depth jump touching goal post- 10 reps with 30 seconds in between reps, 5 min break then 5 reps with 30 seconds in between reps, touched it solid everytime with right hand could not get it with two hands

One leg depth jumps off of 8 inches- 4 reps per leg, 30 second after second leg

Squat- 2x3 275lbs, 3x315lbs

Reverse Hyperextension (rest on bottom) 50lbs 2x6
Glute Ham Raise on Foam Rollar-2x6

50 rep ryhthm squats- 225lbs one set, kills calves/quads

Squat jumps- 3x4 110lbs
3 step and jump- 4 reps

little sluggish today, will do rep work and play tommorow, totally take off thursday in preparation to do quality jumping/dunking at the rim Friday

Some abs, foam rolling, and stationary/walking 2 ball dribbling at night

Heres a video I have up of me touching the rim from a standing vertical

//youtu.be/o8bg2XTmDiE

will start to add more training videos including weightroom work and hopefully some dunking

REP upper

Tricep Death - 3 sets 225lbs, 4 reps per board (1,2,3,4), first set did 6 reps on 4 board

Lat Pulldown w/ thickball- 3x10 140lbs
Face Pull w/ rope- 3x10 85lbs

Lateral Raises- 3x10 15lbs
Hammer Curls- 3x10 15lbs

Shirt Resisted curl- one set of 10

Really demanding upper body workout, feel jacked, willl aim to get 15 reps at 225 on next weeks rep day

Hot Tub and quick PNF stretch at night

Basically a rest day in preparation for some good dunking practicing tommorow

Did core work at night with some stretching

Also decided to mess around with some clap pushups, did behind the back for the first time, then behind in front, then finally in front clap in back clap in front clap, heres the video

//youtu.be/t7GF60nWAZQ

Hopefully this means a good improvement in explosion/hand quickness since last year I could hardly do a behind the back successfully

Maximal effort jumping+ SE lower

good dynamic warmup/game of 50

felt really good 3 step and standing rim touching/grabbing

got a volleyball or 2 down with ease

Iso stim variant 45lbs 30 sec 105lbs 20 sec

2-3 break min break, did not feel as well jumping after as before, may have overdone with stimulation, will do it after dynamic warmup next time and then start into warmup quick game/jumps

jumped and dunked some more, getting a volleyball a few more times, better off two feet though today, real close to a girls ball maybe even a weak one but not palming it well makes it tough off of two feet (do it with a dribble approach too), will get it down next week, still striving for that mens ball…Heres a video of me dunking the volleyball off of 2 feet the second guy JR is me

//youtu.be/p0hb7A7DT1c

Low Box Squat- worked up to 275x3

RDL- 185lbs 3x6
Hanging Calf raise- 55’s 3x6 (per leg)

Isometric Bulgarian Split Squat hold and jump- BW 6s-4r-6s-4r one set of this, had success doing two leg squat variaiton will do it one a week with one elg

Squat jumps- 110lbs 3x4
3 step and jump- 4 jumps

will play some basketball tommorow in the early part of the day then stay off the rest of the weekend in preparation for a good workout monday

Plyos (week 10/12 of usage) + SE lower

Warmup- have to change this to get a better sweat/make more intense I believe, never jump good right after but always do after playing a pickup game. any thoughts (Usually Defranco style warmup -General, ROM,CNS fire up drills)

Drop Jumps- 10 drops- from a 36 inch box, video can be seen below, first time really doing them not sure if it is correct form, goal is to improve absorbation phase one two leg running vertical (and one leg also)

//youtu.be/be8bNkLLN6o

Depth Jumps at the rim- 20 total jumps 18 inch box, touched rim good a few times and some jumps did not, video can be seen below

//youtu.be/M3ORt6mmolM

Single Leg Depth jumps- 5 reps per leg off of 6 inch height, not sure if am stepping and landing the correct way, video can be seen below

//youtu.be/wWBHpu_5DUY

Squat- worked up to 315x3

Reverse Hyper- 2x6 50lbs
Step ups- 2x6 55’s

Hanging Calf Raises- 55’s 3x6

Jump Squat- 115lbs 3x4, video can be seen below, not sure if I get enough knee flexion especially on this set,

//youtu.be/x-2DYWd0pQU

3 Steps and Jump- 4 jumps

REP upper

225lb bench- 13 reps first set(PR)up 2 reps in 3 weeks, 10 reps second set
205lb bench- 9 reps

Deadhang Pullups- 3x6

Lateral Raises- 3x6 15lbs

Curl- 75lbs 3x10
Tricep Pushdown- 3x10 greenband

PNF, core work, dribbling, and foam rolling at night