My athletic training journal (WSFSB+VJB)

Hey man. Everything looks good. But I would drop a day, or maybe two of the basketball practicing and replace with them with some type of active recovery like swimming, elliptical etc. Something that is no-impact. You have nearly seven months til the preseason and plenty of time. I would keep the ball practice days at 5 right now and maybe sometime in the summer work it up to 6, tops. One, it’ll keep you from burning out and the times you’re in the gym that much more efficient and effective. Two, seven days a week, plus lifting the legs twice a week and plyos twice a week is a ton on the joints, especially the knees. I play college basketball and once you get there, it is a GRIND. Save your knees for that because when you are having hard practice 2-3hours a day, 5-6x a week, you will feel it. Good luck.
I know what u mean for the cutting down on the bball practicing ill try to not mondays and take totally off, but as far as hard playing, ill do one day of hard drilling sundays high impact and saturdays is like playing with old guys that go 2-3 so its pretty laid back id say med impact along with the two three point shooting days, the two form days(post upper body day are just to keep my form and stay loose so id say low impact - some form shooting then 50 fouls, so realistcally should look like this

Monday- no balling
Tuesday- Form shooting/light jumpers/stat drib
Wednesday- 3 point work/2 ball speed driblbing
Thursday- Form shooting/light jumpers/stat drib
Friday- 3 point work/2 ball speed dribbling
Saturday- full court with old guys
Sunday- hard drilling

ME Upper day

3 board press- 275x3

dumbell bench- 85s 3x8

Wide grip seeated row- 180 3x8
Blast strap scarecrows- 3x8 BW

Dbell Shrugs- 3x30 seconds 50 lbs

give it a 7

My first VJB intermediate plyos+SE leg day

Okay warmup with 3 sets 20 of tke’s(flat footed)

Bent over straight leg ankle bounces 4x30, good for calves, alot like defrancos pogo jumps, good for a begining exercise/warmup to fire up cns

1-2-3 jumps- 4 sets, 4 jumps per leg per set, good unilateral work

Ryhthmic 1/4 jump squat 4x8

Broad Jumps 4x6

Low Box Depth jump 4x5, off of a milkcrate for 2 sets, box for other

20 yard sprints - 4 sprints, not bad went from standing

Low Squat Ankle jumps 4x40

SE box squat with foam on top, box higher than usual- worked up to 335x3

Reverse Hyperextensions- 50lbs 3x10

Ab work- situps in 30 seconds(30), band crunch down

would give it a 7,was pumped for first day of plyos but was cold outside and did not get warmed up or ready as well as i like plus i was a little sore during the day

REP upper

185lbs Bench- 2x14, 135lbs x 20

Thick Bar lat pulldown- 160 3x10
Face Pull- 85lbs 3x10

Plate Raise- 45lbs 3x10

Curl- 70lbs 3x10
Tri pushdown green band 3x20

Shirt Resist Curl 3x10

shot and played some light games of 21

Well first I had that all star game at 5, my team killed them pretty nice plus i had like 14 points or so(only one 3 rest pretty much drives and layups) so was a good time

when got home did a reduced version of the VJB intermediate plyos looked like this

My first VJB intermediate plyos+SE leg day

Okay warmup with 3 sets 20 of tke’s(flat footed)

Bent over straight leg ankle bounces 2x30,

1-2-3 jumps- 2 sets, 4 jumps per leg per set, good unilateral work

Ryhthmic 1/4 jump squat 2x8

Broad Jumps 3x3

Low Box Depth jump 4x4, off of 14 inch box

Cut out sprints totally

Low Squat Ankle jumps 4x40

Will do some extra recovery stretch work tommorow.

ME upper

Warmup includ. ROM and shoulder stabilty

Four Board Press- worked up to 295x3

Criss Cross Chain Pushups- 2 sets 6 chains, absolutley killller but makes you feel jacked!

Thick Seated Row- 180x3x10
Face Pulls- 35 3x10

Dbell Shrugs- 60’s 3x20 seconds

did some nice PNF stretching after showering.

Would give it an 8 (on a scale from 1-10 out 10 being highest quality of workout)

ME legs (from Monday March 24th)

Squat slightly above parrallel- 335x3

Single leg squats with front leg eleveated- 65lbs w/chains 3x6

Reverse Hypers 70lbs 3x8
Glute Ham Raise 25’s 3x8

Ab/calf workout

Just did some light recovery today consisting of

Swimming- moved around and did some light swimming, wish i had a protocol for this.

PNF stretching- 2 man assisted stretching-always helps out big time

Quality napping approx 50 mins

VJB intermediate plyos week 2 phase 1 day 1 +SE lower

Good dynamic/ROM warmup

Did workout in gym so overdid somethings so had to compensate by cutting down a little…

Bent over straight leg ankle bounces 3x30

1-2-3 jumps- 3 sets, last set touched rim with right hand(off of left foot), but grabbed rim with left hand(off of right foot), which is weird because i am right handed but i do always get up higher with left hand

Ryhthmic 1/4 jump squat 3x8

Low Box Depth jump 4x5, did on rim and on vertec, off of a milk crate (approx 12 inches) touched approx 9.10, off of approx 20 inch box touched 9.11, also threw in a couple running jumps on vertec (approx touched 10.2 or so, prob usually get higher but was a little worn out at this point), do like to go for goals on this but also i think on depth jumps u need to sometimes do it and just focus on jumping high not reaching high…

20 yard sprints- 5 reps on bball court

Broad Jumps- only did about 4 reps since was not feeling prime after depth jumps and sprints

Low Squat Ankle jumps 3x40

SE box squat- worked up to 335x3, also 3x14 TKE flat footed

Reverse Hyper Extensions- 20lbs 3x10
RDLS- 95lbs 3x10, did this to work out a little soreness and change it up a little

Abs- with medacine ball and weighted vest 3x10 decline situps
Calf Raies with vest- 3x14

Would give it an 8, quality work a little lengthy though and didnt get as high as id like to on some of my jumps.

Rep Upper

Light Warmup

185lbs Bench Press- 17 reps(2008 PR, got 19 in late spring 2007- 14 reps, 135lbs- 25 reps

Pullups deadhang 3x5
Face Pulls- 85lbs 3x10

Lateral Raises- 15’s 3x10

Tricep Push downs green band- 3x10

Curl Burn out with four 2 and halfs (10 reps take 2.5 off each side work way down and up again)

Did some PNF stretching after

Would give workout an [b]8, not that good of a warmup and too intense but did do significantly better than last week 3 reps better on 185lbs, probally helped by those criss

VJB intermediate plyos week 2 phase 1 day 2

Light dynamic/ROM warmup

Bent over straight leg ankle bounces 3x30

1-2-3 jumps- 3 sets, almost hit head off of roof(approx 30 inches)

Ryhthmic 1/4 jump squat 3x8, hands behind head

Broad Jumps 4x5, should be jumping farther was not getting 9 feet

Low Box Depth jump 4x5, did off of mini chair, almost hit head off roof

20 yard sprints- 5 reps on grass

Low Squat Ankle jumps 3x40, tried to get below parralel

ME Lower

Good dynamic/ROM warmup outside including a couple 10 yard sprints

Box Squat- worked up to 385x3(PR), got it good so hopefully 405x3 next week

Step ups w barbell and knee drive- 135lbs 3x8, hard but nice

Reverse HyperExtensions 70lbs 3x8
Glute Ham Raise BW 3x8

ABS kick overs hanging from blast straps- 3x10, hard as (expletive) but really works the core

Three step jumps to goal post- 4 reps (Adaptation work, rested approx 8 mins after abs)

Good PNF stretching after workout

Would give a 9, great workout

nice job on the box squat man

Thanks man, still need to gain a lot of strength if i wanna make some serious explosive gains!

im shock ur vj isnt higher esp with ur height, bw and lower body strength.

Yes, but keep in mind I am not doing my reach the “NFL” way (2 arms up) so it could possible be 32 inch range, nonetheless my vertical needs much improvment, and I believe my two weakest Areas in terms of vertical are: Plyometric/reactive abilty and my posterior chain, also my main goal is to improve running vert since I am a basketball player but standing is a decent correlation of this…either way i have some work to do but also I am not really built like a natural jumper in terms of the way my calves are cut (bigger calves) and I am have a little higher bodyweight than needed possibly…any other help would be appreciated

ME upper

Good General Warmup with some med ball throws

Bench Press- worked up to 265x3 (PR!), first got 255x3 did and got it clean so decided to go up and got some intensity going and got 265x3 up which I have never done previously and before my last two weeks of 3 and 4 board pressing I only got 245x2 on Bench(was my fourth week of training too) so this is a big improvment

Dbell Floor Press- 85’s 3x10

Seated Row- 180lbs 3x10
Blast Strap Scarecrows- 3x10

Seated Power Cleans- 25lbs 3x10
Hammer Curls- 25 lbs 3x10

Would have to give it a 10, felt awsome on my PR in bench with some good intensity and it throughout workout!

Why dont you try and post some videos of jumping or squatting when you get a chance.

Once I get access to a video recorder at school and figure it out I may try to, time allowing.

hey bro my thoughts, i think your program is solid and i like your effort/intensity with the weights along with your strength levels as a bb player. I would be careful with adding the KB plyos with the westside stuff esp if your playing alot of bb. keep me updated