middle phase

In every 100m race i have run in this year, I get out in front of the “pack” in my acceleration phase, become tired after about 45 -50m and finally i come back the last 15-20m to take 2nd or third.

What could factors could casue my race sink in the middle? low top speed? lack of conditioning? not relaxed? or all of the above?
please select the answer you think is right and then text message it to American Idol is stupid:D

thanks for any help:)

first of all you are not tired during the 45m mark if you are going again at 70-80m.are you accelerating correctly? its kinda hard to pin point exactly what your problem is,normally if there is a problem at 40-50 its top speed and maybe relaxation

Improper accelration makes sense to me-in the 4x100 i run the lead leg extremely relaxed and i “wait for it”. my split times are always around .5 sec better than my open 100.
how could i correct my crappy accel phase? just try to mimic what i do in the 4x100?
thanks again

first of all,learn to run relaxed and accelerate properly.that is what the SMTC team were renowned for.they all understood the acceleration phase and how to relax,consistantly drilled into them by tellez.don’t try to muscle your way.push the acceleration.if your mechanically sound then its alot easier

sorry for the last line–its “don’t try to muscle your way or push the acceleration”

ok ill give it a go at my meet on saturday-thanks again

I found something similar happening to me last season. There’s 1 particular race which sticks out in my mind. I flew out of the blocks and was a good 2- yds in front, I get to 60 and I either tightened up for no apparant reason, OR I just stopped concentrating. That ultimately lost me the race as I ended up finishing 2nd on a dip, whereas I should have won it by yards! But hey, we’re all still learning right??

that same thing happened to me in the 200. i made up the stagger and began to pull away at 40m adn then at about 60 for some reason i just stopped trying and basically started jogging. all these kids who i normally wouldve beaten killed me by like 10m. i was so mad:shoot:

Hehe… that sounds like my nightmare when the bad witch is chasing me like hell and I just stop and struggle to get from the spot :baddevil::

In the few races I’ve had this year I’ve found that I suddenly become aware of footfalls closing behind - which really throws my concentration
Any suggestions - earplugs/muffs lol ?

gloop,the more you think about these noises the tighter you;ll get.automatically you will tighten and will cause the footstep noises to get even louder!! just make sure they don’t pass you out

Hehe… that sounds like my nightmare when the bad witch is chasing me like hell and I just stop and struggle to get from the spot

lol, hey at least if the witch kills you you wont have to look at your embarrisingly slow time on the timer board thingy:(

i have the exact same problem!!!

i always seem to have a great start (i had a brutal start last year) and am always first out of the blocks nowadays… but my middle phase sucks…i always seem to run better at the ned of the race, if i am tied with someone at the 65-70m mark i will beat them by at least a couple meters by the tape. I always am catching people.
i want to lead the entire race!
why does my middle phase suck so much?
any drills?

Thanks

Sounds like pushing during the acceleration phase instead of stepping over and concentrating on the up and down action that gives you top speed. This is usually what give you trouble during the mid- or top speed section of the race.

Originally posted by Charlie Francis
Sounds like pushing during the acceleration phase instead of stepping over and concentrating on the up and down action that gives you top speed. This is usually what give you trouble during the mid- or top speed section of the race.

Charlie, how early in the race should you concentrate on the up and down action?