Microstretching Routine

Consistency in all aspects of training and preperation is so important. Clemson stresses this to me all the time but its not always easy getting this accross to younger athletes.

I just wanted to make a specific comment on this point.

You don’t really need someone to do the PNF or myofascial stretching (the type I’m talking about). You can do these on your own.

On this specific point, I agree with Clemson that PNF and AIS are best suited for post workout on high intensity days as they help reset the muscle tone/length primarily via nervous sytem effects. You should be able to perform some basic PNF by yourself (although a partner is ideal if he knows what he’s doing [i.e. not too aggressive]).

Microstretching or Voyer’s myofascial stretching (which is entirely self applied and also does not involve a therapist/partner) are best suited for after low intensity workouts, as these fall more into the category of structural stretching. Clemson had a terrific article on his Regeneration Lab web site that discusses this point.

Myofascial release (traditional manual or foam roller methods, as differentiated from Voyer’s stretching [see post above]), really falls more into the massage/therapy category, and I would consider it remedial therapy rather than recovery.

This is the single most important lesson to learn, and usually the hardest to learn. In my opinion, if a coach is working with young athletes he should make recovery, regeneration, and stretching the first priority both in terms of the training program as well as teaching the athletes.

For example, I would teach them proper stretching techniques before teaching them weightlifting techniques. It has to become habit from the very beginning, kind of like teaching kids the habit of putting on their seat belt years before they ever begin driving.

Everyone, but especially young athletes, needs to understand that this kind of work is a prerequisite to training, not just something added after the fact. Think of the episode described in Speed Trap when Charlie first met Percy Duncan. The first four days were nothing but massage work because Charlie simply wasn’t in the proper state to begin running. There’s no point to training if your body isn’t ready for it. You’re just going to make yourself tired (or injured) without improving.

OK, now the question for those of us new to this is, what is microstretching? Is it an actual routine that you do, or is it a way to stretch?

It’s a stretching method. Essentially, each stretch is held at a subjective intensity of about 30-40%. Stretch the muscle until you encounter resistance, and then stay there. Do not work against the resistance, just keep the slack out of the muscle.

Each hold is approximately one minute, with a minute rest between stretches for a total of three one-minute holds per stretch.

The program that everyone refers to is a sample routine of 9 stretches done in a specific order.

So essentially, it can be used with any stretching routine?

Sure. You have to differentiate between stretching methods and the stretches themselves.

Microstretching (which is basically low intensity static stretching), AIS, PNF contract relax-methods, muscles energy techniques (think low intensity PNF), static, dynamic, etc. all refer to how the stretch is applied, not necessarily to the specific stretches used.

Keep in mind that PNF also refers to specific spiral diagonal stretches, not just the contract-relax variations. (Actually, a lot of the AIS stretches in Aaron Mattes’ books are derived from PNF.)

However, some stretches and stretching methods are specifically suited to each other. For example, some dynamic stretches just don’t make sense as static stretches and vice versa. Voyer’s stretches have to be done statically to maintain proper tension on the fascial chain.

But for the most part you can use the same stretches and vary the method with which you apply the stretches depending on your needs (i.e. warm-up, high intensity cool down, recovery, rehab, etc.).

Flash do you have any opinions on eccentric quasi isometrics? thanks dude

I’m not a stretching guru, so I’m not up to date on all the methods. Is that the method described in Christian Thibaudeau’s book? I’ve read about it, but I haven’t tried it personally.

If I remember correctly, it focuses on the series elastic components as opposed to the parallel elastic components. But I really haven’t studied the issue enough to have an opinion on its underlying theory. And since I haven’t tried it, I can’t comment on its practical effectiveness.

Has anyone tried this method? I’m curious myself.

By the way, if anyone is looking for good general references on the theory and physiology of stretching/flexibility I highly recommend Mel Siff’s Super Training and Michael Alter’s Science of Flexibility.

For PNF, you might try Dorothy Voss’ book Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation and Robert McAtee’s Facilitated Stretching. The latter is more practical for our purposes.

Another really interesting book is Auto Stretching by Olaf Evjenth and Jern Hamberg, which is one of the most detailed stretching books I’ve ever come across. You can get it from OPTP. In fact, I think they have it on sale.

Nikos Apostolopoulos, who developed the microstretching approach, is supposed to be coming out with a book on his method, but I don’t know when. Keep on the lookout for it.

I’m new here and can’t pull up any of the links to the program on old links. Can someone send a copy of the program to ViarNL@fuma.org? Thanks.

Somehow I have missed the microstretching programme. I have tried the “search” button - but the actual programme “could not be found”. Would somebody PLEASE put the whole prog on the Forum again? I am sure there are more people interested.

Thank you!

Not sure if the last two posts have got a copy yet; if not, let me know your emails and I’ll send it over.

I never got it, can you please email it to me?

c.mangano@cox.net

Done!

Let me know if you’ve got it…

To all those MicroStretching fans out there!

In less than 24 hours I’ve emailed this document to quite a few people! I’ve done it in the past as well, I know Flash has done it even more than me, but please, save some time to certain individuals, come forward and pass it on to others requesting it!

We’d all appreciate it!
Thanks!

PS plus, I’ve got a cable net connection :rolleyes:

I’d like a copy of the article if any of you would be so kind.

chrislinder@shaw.ca

Chris, have you got it yet?
Let me know…

Yeah, i’m in for a part of the treasure
Slogan120@gmail.com