maximum volume for a workout

Just curious to know what everybody uses as there limit of volume for speed in a workout.
Example keep it under 500m or 700m etc.

Australia’s Patrick Johnson does workouts similar to Mannea’s workout that was posted. Very high volume. I don’t know if he still does this amount of work, however. His coach, Esa Peltola, said that he had to reduce Pat’s workload on the track because he was not coping.

Actually I think most people on the forum keep it at 360m or under and around 300m on a usual day. I think most elite athletes probably do more, but are on the track for a very long time.

It depends on what capacity you are training…
i remember carlo Vittori,Italian Sprint coach,using as much as 5 x5 x60 meters in a training session devoted to the development of alactic capacity…If I remember correctly, he stated that Mennea cuold average 6"6 over the 25 trials, with rest of no more than 2’ btween reps and 6’ between sets

We’ve discussed Mennea’s training before. I think it was insane. It worked for him, but I sure as hell wouldn’t try it.

Pete is dead on as far as my training is concerned. I think 500m per session is the maximum for most mortals (and even most top athletes). However, just because you can go up to 500m doesn’t mean you should. As I’ve stated before, I believe in doing the minimum volume necessary to get an improvement, rather than trying to do the maximum I can tolerate.

The principle guideline must be your own capacity. Don’t forget, there is a HUGE difference in the CNS demand in runs as they rise in intensity above the 95th percentile. 24 runs at 95% might be very do-able, but 24 runs at 98% would have serious consequences- even if the workout could be completed. (Mennea ran his max runs in 6.1 and the vol runs in 6.4 to 6.5- so extrapolating to 100m this equals the 94th to 95th percentile for vol work.)

CAN ANYONE SHOW ME SOME PLACE S TO SEE PATS TRAINING?:sing:

Originally posted by eroszag
It depends on what capacity you are training…
i remember carlo Vittori,Italian Sprint coach,using as much as 5 x5 x60 meters in a training session devoted to the development of alactic capacity…If I remember correctly, he stated that Mennea cuold average 6"6 over the 25 trials, with rest of no more than 2’ btween reps and 6’ between sets

Funny you should say that. On the old board, I posted a proposed work out. 3x5x60, and Charlie said it was too much, and said to just cut it in half. (3x5x30) I’ve done the work out before. I was sore as hell the next day, after the 1st couple of times. I’m not sure if charlie thought it was too much or if he thought I couldn’t handle it.:devil:

?
Is that too much for a 100m runner or is it too much for anyone Call me slow, but i’m getting the feeling that most of the guidelines on this board are for the 100m.:mrt: Would a work out like that be fine for a 200/400 runner? Tempo runs included. A lot of the tempo runs that everyone post, usually consist of just some 100’s Is the volume for tempo that I read here mainly for 100m guys also? Or is it for everyone?

It depends on the capacity and training background of the individual. (Cutting vol in half doesn’t mean half the distance necessarily, just half the volume.
How about putting up some progressions, complete with age, training age, performances, recoveries, etc?

Charlie, it would be hard for me to post all that, cuz of the training situations i’ve been in. In high school I had a coach who had the quanity over quality mind set. There was literally no speed work, other than the meets. I wouldn’t remember the details anyway. But we were pretty much in that 80-85% range, all the time. After high school I didn’t run for a year. I didn’t run in college, but I still ran. The last 2 seasons were cut short by injuries. I also just made a coaching change. Me being the coach now. I don’t trust anyone else I think I have what it takes to take me to the next level;)

High School

Soph - Just jumps. 22’1", 6’0"

Junior - 200m - 23.1, 400m 51.3
L. Jump - 21’6"

Senior - 200m - 21.7, 400m 48.3
T. Jump - 46’2", L. Jump 21’10"

Post High School
100m - 11.3 (2001)
200m - 23.2 (somewhere in between)
400m - 52.2 (2002)

High school Sample week

Mile warm up before everything

Mon. Interupt 600, 500, 400 3min between each one

Tues. 8x200, fast as we could go. 2min rest

Wed. 100-200-300-400-500-600, and back down. Short rest between

Thur. 30x100, 1min rest. He said to go as fast as we could.

Fri. Work on exchanges, blocks, etc.

Sat. Meet. Typical day for me was
Long Jump, Triple Jump. 4x2, 4x4
or 200/400, 4x1, Triple Jump. I was in 4 events no matter what. And by the way I also had to practice on my jumps too, during all these practices.

Post high school

Mon. 10x200 3min rest

Tues. 3x30, 3x60 3min between the 30’s and 5 minutes between the 60’s

Wed. 2x200, 4x300 3min between the 2’s, and I think 5 between the 3’s

Thur. 3x5x60:sing:3min between each 60, 5min between each set.

Fri. 8x300 5min

How are your times progressing now Treble ?

Treble
Tryto fill in the rest of Tues for us. so far, we have 270m of speed on Tues and 900m on Thurs. With details, we could smooth things out. Also post weights.

Originally posted by Charlie Francis
Treble
Tryto fill in the rest of Tues for us. so far, we have 270m of speed on Tues and 900m on Thurs. With details, we could smooth things out. Also post weights.

I just did.

The post high school training that I posted won’t be the same as this upcoming season. That was a sample week that I had last year. When I was being coached. This upcoming season i’ll be coaching myself along with some other guys, and gals, who want my services. I’m obviously gonna be able to give them more than I can give myself, but i’m gonna use this year as a guinuea pig. I’m gonna try the short to long approach this year also to see how I respond to it.

Originally posted by Charlie Francis
Also post weights.

In high school we lifted weights pretty much evey day after practice. The routine usually consisted of Bench press, Squats, hamstring curls, deadlift, leg extensions. And we would do sit ups, and push ups after the weight room. 4x25 of both. So it was a pretty general weight program. No real structure.

Post high school a usual week would look like this:

Tues.
Bench press - 1st set was really just a warm up.
1st set - 10x115
2nd set - 10x135
3rd set - 8x185
4th set - 6x205

Squat - 1st set is a warm up
1st set - 10x135
2nd set - 10x185
3rd set - 8x205
4th set - 6x225

Hang Cleans - 3x8 using 115lbs for all the sets.

Stiff leg deadlift - 3x8 using 135lbs for all the sets.

Push Press - 3x10 using 95lbs for all the sets. This isn’t exactly an olympic lift. The movement is the same, except it’s a continuous motion.

Plyo’s - box jumps etc.

Abs

I know we did something else, but I can’t remember.

Thur.
Same as Tues.
With the addition of Lunges, jump ropes, and some med balls.

I may have missed a few things, but thats the main routine every week. No wonder I was so bored.:frowning: