Masters training.

Hello all,

I have been lurking here for years, and finally got a coach in October of 2007 and have been training out of York University in Toronto since about that time. I am 34 and run in the sub-Masters category in OMTFA and all-comers meets. I’m tall and lanky (6’3, 190 lbs), and suspect that the 200 and 400 will be better races for me than the 100 will ever be, but I couldn’t care less about my 200 and 400 times, my ultimate goal is to run a 10.99 before I die.

I think it will help me be a better coach in the future to have an actual understanding of what is going on within your body when running decent high school times (which is likely what I will eventually coach), despite the fact I am starting ridiculously late.

I have some general questions about improvement. I am by no means a talented sprinter, but I have been making some sound improvements since I started. This is my first year of running, and I ran a couple of 60 m races in 8.46 and 8.52 FAT during February. I feel like I have improved a fair amount since then both strength and technique wise. I have also dropped from about 200 lbs to 190 lbs since February. (I can’t believe the difference that sprinting has made to my body. It is truly jaw-dropping compared to my former 5k - 10k running)

Recently in training (early May), I have been running 19.00 for the 150m and 29.35 for 220m.

I have a 100m race coming up on May 26th, and am wondering what kind of time I can expect to run for the 100m. Obviously, I am only learning how to start properly, but am hopeful of running my best. Is running a 12.9 FAT within the realm of possibility before July?

I do two speed sessions a week along with two tempo sessions, and some complementary but fairly light weight room work.

Any comments or pointers would be appreciated.

Hello T,

Running a 10.99 FAT coming from a 19" 150m at 34 is way unrealistic.

Done with the bad news.

I think you can run 12.90" before July, it mainly depends on your training, I mean, if it really focus on your weaknesses.

Unfortunately, being such a late starter in the sport, you will have to spend a lot of time on technical work, which, at our age, would be better spent on physical preparation.

I am sure you are right that I can’t run a 10.99, but what pseudo-athlete doesn’t lie to themself once in a while?

One good thing is that I have summers off, so I can devote a lot of time to training etc. for July and August. I’m probably going to peak for a late August meet, so I am hopeful there can be some decent improvement between late June and late August.

Even if there isn’t much, I have lost tons of weight and feel a million times better, and that’s what it’s really all about in the end for me!

Yes, the most important thing for Master athletes is (should be) to keep fit and healthy via a sporty lifestyle.

Our main satisfaction is to win the challenges with ourselves.

At the end of August there are a few continental master meetings (European and American Games if I am not wrong).

What is your training like at the moment?

I do speed on Tuesdays and Fridays. The person I run with is a very fast Master’s sprinter. Training changes based on how he feels we are responding, so all I can give you are a few examples.

Warmup
2 x 50m in flats
2 x 50m in spikes
4 x 30m (blocks- a few meets are coming up)
3 mins rest

4 x 120m
8-10 mins rest
Cooldown

Usually we add in deadlifts after:
3 reps x 3 sets (I’m only at around 310 lbs)

Last week on Friday we did:

2 x 50m in flats
2 x 50m in spikes

4 x 60m (6 mins rest)

1 x 120m

I do speed on Tuesdays and Fridays. The person I run with is a very fast Master’s sprinter. Training changes based on how he feels we are responding, so all I can give you are a few examples.

Warmup
2 x 50m in flats
2 x 50m in spikes
4 x 30m (blocks- a few meets are coming up)
3 mins rest

4 x 120m
8-10 mins rest
Cooldown

Usually we add in deadlifts after:
3 reps x 3 sets (I’m only at around 310 lbs)

Last week on Friday we did:

2 x 50m in flats
2 x 50m in spikes

4 x 60m (6 mins rest)

1 x 120m

is that the same as he did? Given your times I would be doing accelerations to a shorter distance (20-30m).

There are plenty of accelerations to 20m, 30m, and 40m. It varies on a workout by workout basis, but in general I don’t think that there is a lack of shorter acceleration. I’m tall and lanky, it will take some time to build strength as well. I’m not really naturally built for the 100, I am naturally better at the 200m (and I suspect the 400m) but I really enjoy running the 100m.

I think I need to do more weight work for sure, but I would probably overdo it if left to my own devices.

I like the set-up.

Tuesday’s workout seems just a bit too voluminous for my taste.

Your DL strength is not bad, but you need to do more strength training than that for sure.

How fast is your fast training partner?

Hi there,

That was by far the most volume we have ever done. It is unusual, and I agree the volume was unusually high, but it is rarely above 300 to 400m in total speed.

My coach is in the 50-55 category and ran 10.92 in 2006 at age 51 I believe. He hasn’t been training much due to injury but runs consistently in the 11.2x to 11.3x range.

My faster training partner will probably run around 12.6x in the 100m, so I am within shouting distance of him.

Hello T,

As a fellow master athlete I tell you what I do.

My training volume is between 200 and 300 most of the times.

Last week I ran my first 150s of the year, 18.1", which is the fastest “training opener” I have ever ran, normally I would begin with high 19" or low 20" and go down to low 17" in a matter of weeks. I think that if I can hit a sub 18" this week already, I could get to sub 17", which is years that doesn’t happen.

Now I am pretty loaded by the power endurance work I do, it even made me put on muscles which, at 35, is not even up there in the priority scale anymore. Futhermore the SE/PE session is negatively impacting the follwing MxV session and my 60s times have got worse as I get to Friday still pounded. But it will change next week as I unload the PE component.

As you are at York, are you with the same group as S.M. (female)?

From another fellow master athlete:
The track sessions are probably fine. I would time the longer distances to make sure they are still at an appropriate intensity.
What your programme does seem to lack (apart from the sprints) is any explosive type of movement, like jumps, medicineball throwing, cleans. In beginners these type of exercises usually have a very favorable effect.

So I ran in an all-comers meet this week, and I managed a 12.89 into a -3.2 headwind. I am really pleased, it’s my first 100m race and I didn’t expect to break 13 seconds.

I’m going to ask if I can incorporate more strength work. That is my gut feeling, and you all have confirmed it.

Thanks!

good work.

Great job T!

You can break 11…and dont let anyone tell you that you cant. I am a late starter too, so I am sure I will be seeing you at some masters track meets somewhere…

Good luck!

So I went to Guelph today to run in an all-comers meet. I signed up for the 100 and the 200. The track is fairly soft, and the corners are unusually tight.

I’m a pretty scattered person sometimes, so it was no surprise to me when I opened my trunk to find that I’d left my spikes at home in Toronto, about an hour away. I wasn’t too keen on the idea of running in flats, so I zoomed over to the local mall in search of track spikes…as if. Naturally, not even the so-called sporting goods store had a pair, though they had a fine selection of winter boots (?).

I was told to head downtown, so on my way I was lucky enough to find a Running Room that actually had some Adidas Meteor’s in stock. I grabbed a pair, along with a set of 7mm “ceramic ultralight pins”. I have never seen these before, and at $7 for a set of 14, they better shave at least .02 off for me.

Anyway, I got back to the track in time to rush through a 10 minute warmup. I was close to not running at all, because I was totally frazzled.

Anyway, I got out pretty clean and ran 12.61 FAT with +0.6 wind. I was pretty happy of course, because my goal was to hopefully be running 12.9x by the end of June.

Next up was the 200. I got out OK, but started to break down at around 170. It was my first 200, so I wasn’t too unhappy, I ran a 25.41 which isn’t horrible considering my 100 time.

Things are going well. I need to get stronger though!

I would say things are going VERY well.

I would say things are going VERY well.

I concur, VERY good job!

Yep, good stuff, the 1st 200m of the season is allways tough from 170m, that will improve no problem. Just keep 1 session a week of speed endurance going when your not racing.

Good luck